Chapala.com Webboard

Brunos still the place for steak IMO

Mainecoons

Four of us ate at Brunos last night, two had the Beisbol Fillet, one Rib Eye and one Salmon. Everyone loved their dinners, the two for 1 margueritas were excellent, the house red wine was competent and served in new and much nicer glasses. The price of the Beisbol Fillet has increased to 175 pesos but it was the same great cut of meat grilled to perfection over wood and with an excellent baked potato.

Given how the price of beef has increased, I'm glad that Brunos has chosen to keep the quality and increase the price rather than try to hold the price by cutting the quality.

The new decor is pleasant and for us Brunos is still the best place in town to get a great fillet mignon for a reasonable price. The rib eye was a very nice steak and the person ordering Salmon pronounced it fresh and delicious.

If you sit in the back, the road noise isn't noticeable.

• 8 months later...

Was taken to lunch at Bruno's today. The mac'n'cheese is as good as everyone says, and the wedge fries were cooked perfectly.

The service, however, was atrocious. No napkins or cutlery on the table, and over a full hour before our orders were brought (one Caesar salad with grilled chicken was the other dish). Why? One guy on service, and I guess only Vicki's son cooking in the back. A group of 9 guys arrived just before us, and their orders were brought out two at a time, at a rate of about 10 minutes between each delivery.

There is a rule at Bruno's, I guess, that says "we only work on one table at a time, and only two dishes at a time". Fortunately for the table of four women who arrived after us, they were enjoying their beer and wine enough to let it slide, I guess.

Oh, and man, the smell of deep-fried stuff was absolutely overwhelming, intermingled with occasional bursts of air freshener (even worse).

Was taken to lunch at Bruno's today. The mac'n'cheese is as good as everyone says, and the wedge fries were cooked perfectly.

The service, however, was atrocious. No napkins or cutlery on the table, and over a full hour before our orders were brought (one Caesar salad with grilled chicken was the other dish). Why? One guy on service, and I guess only Vicki's son cooking in the back. A group of 9 guys arrived just before us, and their orders were brought out two at a time, at a rate of about 10 minutes between each delivery.

There is a rule at Bruno's, I guess, that says "we only work on one table at a time, and only two dishes at a time". Fortunately for the table of four women who arrived after us, they were enjoying their beer and wine enough to let it slide, I guess.

Oh, and man, the smell of deep-fried stuff was absolutely overwhelming, intermingled with occasional bursts of air freshener (even worse).

My recommendation is that you don't go there any more and just leave it to those who like it like it is. That should work for everyone. :)

I have been three times in the last 10 years and been extremely disappointed every time. Keep in mind, I was taken to lunch today by a friend. It was not my choice. So, Hud, what exactly are you trying to say here?

But okay, folks, let's all make sure that none of us ever report on a restaurant experience here in La Cocina, even when it says the food was good. :)

Have never had a problem with service at Brunos but also have never eaten there for lunch.

My brother absolutely loves the place and insisted we go there on his last visit. We both ordered our usual beisbol fillets and as usual they were excellent. Beyond excellent, actually. It is really hard to beat a wood fire cooked steak and despite the reported beef supply problems the steak itself was as good or better than I've ever had there.

Sounds like they were short handed for lunch when you went. I'd find what you described as annoying but simply have never experienced it at Brunos.

Have never had a problem with service at Brunos but also have never eaten there for lunch.

My brother absolutely loves the place and insisted we go there on his last visit. We both ordered our usual beisbol fillets and as usual they were excellent. Beyond excellent, actually. It is really hard to beat a wood fire cooked steak and despite the reported beef supply problems the steak itself was as good or better than I've ever had there.

Sounds like they were short handed for lunch when you went. I'd find what you described as annoying but simply have never experienced it at Brunos.

Couldn't agree more, the best at lakeside.

That's what I said back in Jan, and I still say it.

So, Hud, what exactly are you trying to say here?

I'm saying that if you do not enjoy your dining experience there, do not go there any more ! Simple, no? Why would someone continue to eat at a place (with a friend or whatever), if they have always had a bad experience. Not a very smart decision, unless you look forward to complaining about it afterwards, IMHO. Just sayin'.

I was there for lunch one day last week and had exactly the opposite experience mentioned above. Not only was our food fabulous (steak sandwich for one of us, grilled chicken ceasar for the other) the service was excellent. In fact the next time I see Kelton (I don't know if that's how he spells his name), I was going to tell him how great our waiter was. We were sitting in the little back room area where we could see the prep area. Every minute he wasn't waiting on tables he was cleaning the heck out of everything that would stand still for him. I don't have a problem with the poster reporting on his or her experience. I'm only saying that my experience last week was opposite.

I'm saying that if you do not enjoy your dining experience there, do not go there any more ! Simple, no? Why would someone continue to eat at a place (with a friend or whatever), if they have always had a bad experience. Not a very smart decision, unless you look forward to complaining about it afterwards, IMHO. Just sayin'.

I guess you failed to read my report... twice. Did I say I was going back? No, I said the food was good and the service sucked. I explained why the service sucked. There cannot be a more balanced review. And this forum specializes in restaurant reviews. Those of us who like to eat out will continue to look for places, new and old, loved or reviled. None of us come here looking for a fight or a judgment on our choices, Hud. Just sayin'

I would have to say that Bruno's has a really good steak but the service, location, and ambiance all really suck. If the only seating available is in the front, the road noise and exhaust will just about kill you and the wood smoke will finish you off. This while waiting a long time for service of any kind. We'll return but not as often as we would if those problems did not persist.

Archived