Chapala.com Webboard

Pickleball

From my experience in the States, wherever it's introduced and played, it catches on quickly. It's probably the #1 reason my ex couldn't live in Mexico. He missed pickleball more than he was going to miss me. Many tennis and racquetball players are quick converts to the game. The tournaments are even fun for spectators. I vote yes.

Yes! I would love to play and I know of one other person who is also enthusiastic. I have been living here permanently for a year now and have been trying to find a place where we can play but so far with no success. I would even have purchased nets and paddles in order to start a club if I could have secured a location for playing...so definitely count me in. Let me know what progress you have been making and if I can be of any help.

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on where this could be done. I couldn't find any place that would allow me to set down lines. And then there is the issue of the net. I was contemplating on purchasing two stand alone nets but would need to secure a location first.

I think there would be lots of ex tennis players that would take up the game but strangely enough it seems like more many people have hard about pickleball.
PM me if you want to discuss this further.

• 2 years later...

Pickleball is alive and well in Ajijic and being played at the Raquet Club in San Juan Cosala. Here is the club website:

https://drhook50hp.wixsite.com/pickleballinajijic

There is also a major move afoot to bring tournament play to Ajijic along with major new facilities. I will update this post as things progress but right now it looks like there will be a unofficial but large tournament to be held at the end of February.

An alternative...easier on the knees...

Play ping-pong to put more bounce in the brain

It turns out that scientists are discovering mounting evidence that routine play of the game purists call table tennis is a great way to keep the body in shape and fortify the aging brain.

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/expat-living/expat-living/lake-chapala/community-news/50724-play-ping-pong-to-put-more-bounce-in-the-brain?tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=

pg9b.jpg

1 hour ago, barcelonaman said:

Where and when do you play table tennis?

Haven't played for many years .what's the standard?

I wasn't too good then but enjoyed it.

The group meets at the Chula Vista Country Club every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 2:15 to 4:30 pm.  All levels and abilities are welcome... 

17 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Others have been trying to get pickle ball started in Ajijic for years now. Lots of people interested, but they could not find a venue willing to let them use it other than RC which is to far out for many.

If it did start up in Ajijic it would be very popular..

There is more than one group interested in starting a new facility for pickleball in Ajijic. Right now there are some investors from Minnesota who are trying to start something. There is a group of them coming in February to check things out. I'll keep you posted.

My friends and I who played table tennis, tennis, racquetball etc called all the paddles bats even back in the 60s in the midwest although it might have been a term used by the higher level tournament players similar to table tennis NOT omg ping pong.lol  I too might show up to see if I can still get one over the net after a 40 plus year hiatus. Should be fun and probably even a bit humiliating. So what!  

1 hour ago, hammerhead said:

My friends and I who played table tennis, tennis, racquetball etc called all the paddles bats even back in the 60s in the midwest although it might have been a term used by the higher level tournament players similar to table tennis NOT omg ping pong.lol  I too might show up to see if I can still get one over the net after a 40 plus year hiatus. Should be fun and probably even a bit humiliating. So what!  

You wont be alone!

Archived