Chapala.com Webboard

Soriana

SoxFan

Today I bought a 2 liter Coke that was marked on sale for 19 pesos and a box of cereal that was marked on sale for 24 pesos. When I got home, I noticed that I was charged 23 pesos for the coke and 29 pesos for the cereal. Does anyone know how the sales work at Soriano? Thank you.

Today I bought a 2 liter Coke that was marked on sale for 190 pesos and a box of cereal that was marked on sale for 240 pesos. When I got home, I noticed that I was charged 230 pesos for the coke and 290 pesos for the cereal. Does anyone know how the sales work at Soriano? Thank you.

190 pesos for a two liter coke doesn't sound like much of a bargain.

Here are the facts that I personally know from many, many experiences.

The only real price is what shows at the check out. To get a fair shake, here is what you need to do (that is if you care).

Check the SKU number on the shelf against the SKU on the product (last four work fine); if they match, you have the product, but often you won't find the product that matches the SKU on the shelf.

Next, check the price at a scanner, that MAY be the right price.

Finally, always check the screen (or your receipt before you leave the register) to see if you were charged correctly.

I had lost count of the times I was charged more on checkout than the shelf price. I finally got to the point where I would take out my camera (I always carry one for those "Mexico Moments) and will take a picture of the SKU. When the price is different, I show the checker the picture and they change it (which is a painfully slow process).

I had an interesting one a few days ago. Yogurt $21.90, SKU matched. At checkout it rang at $30.00. I forgot my camera so went back and took off the sticker from the shelf and brought it to the checker. She checked the SKU and confirmed but then showed me the sale price expired "18-12-14" I said "No way" and got the posted price.

But today I screwed myself over by not paying attention.

Saw bananas at a good price (see below). At the checkout, they were $9.90 so I went and took a picture (below) and showed it to the checker. He showed me the current ad at $9.35 and did his paperwork, etc. It wasn't until I left I saw he dropped the price to the sale price and not the posted price.

OK, the difference is usually just a couple of pesos (it was once over by $12.00), less than what I usually leave the baggers. I clearly I have too much spare time.

Anyway, that's how it goes. Check for yourself.

22eyh3.jpg

I have checked the signs with the SKU, even carried the signs to checkout with me, and if their POS system does not have it programmed in at the sale price, you can forget debating it with the cashier or the manager. A couple of years ago they had huge signs indicating all Christmas ornaments were 50% off, so we headed to checkout with a basketful and they rang up at full price. The sale signs were so big and predominant that you could see them from the checkout stand, they still wouldn't budge. We walked out. It's happened way too many times, we don't go there anymore.

I have checked the signs with the SKU, even carried the signs to checkout with me, and if their POS system does not have it programmed in at the sale price, you can forget debating it with the cashier or the manager. A couple of years ago they had huge signs indicating all Christmas ornaments were 50% off, so we headed to checkout with a basketful and they rang up at full price. The sale signs were so big and predominant that you could see them from the checkout stand, they still wouldn't budge. We walked out. It's happened way too many times, we don't go there anymore.

Everytime I had seen a sign for an "oferta" they always got a cashier that wasn´t busy to check the price on the sign and then ask the manager to adjust it for me at several Soriana stores in a couple of different cites, no problem. It does happen sometimes.

Today I bought a 2 liter Coke that was marked on sale for 19 pesos and a box of cereal that was marked on sale for 24 pesos. When I got home, I noticed that I was charged 23 pesos for the coke and 29 pesos for the cereal. Does anyone know how the sales work at Soriano? Thank you.

I have noticed that if you don't use your "Customer" card you don't get the promocion. You can scan it at the begining or the end.

I have forgot to give it to them and pulled it out. they scanned it andf it went back and discounted the promotions.

If you dont have one there are stacks of the temp ones where the cashier keyboard is. Just take one and hand it out to the cashier

At Soriana, go to the customer service desk and fill out a form for the permanent discount card. It is worth having.

There is a similar card for Mega and you will get e-mail notifications of sales and other discounts.

You can complain to PROFECO and they will do a site inspection and fine them if they see that sort of things happening

The Soriana card is a frequent shopper program and many prices advertised only ring up at that price if you have them scan your card. If you shop there much you accumulate points which can be "cashed in at the point of sale for a rebate on entire purchase. In the US Stores like Safeway and Kroger do the same thing. I'm sure they keep track of sales data and use that info to mount future promotions just like in the US.

Note that points (puntos) and electronic cash (dinero electronico) balances vanish on the last day of April and of October, so cash them in for non-perishables before then; a month before is even better, as more is available.

We found Soriana often more useful than Walmart and enjoyed shopping there.

You can get the temp card at the cashier and turn it into the plastic permanent card through the website. You can also see all the other promotions and other stores. If you do not know spanish go to translate.google.com and enter the website address it will translate the page for you.

www.soriana.com

My wife got the perm. card I just use the temp one. It gives me the discount on items and I still accumulate points. I have never redeem the points for items (like the old green stamp days) I do get cash or I should say cash equivalent taken off my total at the register when it gets pretty high. What has happened to me is after months and lots of points I will be checking out and the screen beeps and flashes at the bottom that I have accumulated a lot of points. The cashier will ask Do I want to convert to a further discount on my total? I always say yes.

All the US stores are using this. They know everything you have purchased. When they give you a receipt it has those coupons printed on them. They are not random. Example you may get a coke coupon because they see you have been buying pepsi or pepsi may give you a nice coupon for being loyal.

You know there is all this I hear about privacy. LOL. They know everything I do. What I eat, When I shop, What coupons or sales attract me, ETC ETC ETC. I am worried about Insurance companies buying that info and then adjusting my insurance rates because they see what I EAT!!!!!! In can see an insurance guy now chatting with a co-worker looking over my diet... "Hey Joe this one is due for clogged arteries, cancer, diabeties, and dentures according to the latest 10 year actuaries" HAHA

We are getting real deep now. Or at least I am.

The Largest Computer Network or System in the US is the Military. The Second Largest is Walmart !!

When you buy something at the Store Walmart HQ in Arkansas knows that Item is gone in about 15 minutes.

They even look at weather. The store managers do not need to beef up water and batteries when a hurricane comes Walmart Systems have already seen that storm and adjusted accordingly.

OK sorry I have gone off the deep end... I have been involved with computers and POS systems for awhile.

If you are interested check this video below It will suprise you.

http://youtube.com/embed/SUe-tSabKag

<iframe id="ytplayer" class="EmbeddedVideo" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://youtube.com/embed/SUe-tSabKag?html5=1&fs=1"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen /></iframe>

http://youtube.com/embed/SUe-tSabKag

They are required to ask you if you want to round up your purchase for that particular charity. That doesn't mean they always do, though.

One store that could really use a lesson in POS and monitoring systems is our WalMart here. I cannot understand how they get away with being so out of the loop, when the whole thing that made WalMart what it is in the U.S. is their innovation in warehousing, trucking, JIT deliveries and all the other stuff they did for the supply chain methodology.

If you look around Soriana these days you can shoot a cannon down the isles. I stopped shopping there about 2 years ago. The store is poorly run. When a company offers 30% free, they charge a higher price. They don't get it. Pricing on the shelves doesn't exist. They can't order product because there is no UPS code on the shelf. I only go there for milk and other small items. Then you go to pay and they only have one check out open with a long line.

Don't trust Walmart either. If I purchase something on Special I remember the shelf price and if they are charging me the higher price I go instantly to customer service and take the girl back into the store and prove to her they charged me the wrong price. It's a pain in the ### but I like to show them, they're wrong. They refund the difference. Too many people just pay, don't check and Walmart wins.

And don't you just love the ignorant people who have a full shopping cart and go thru express.

I go to Soriana about once a week. They have the best prices on spatchcocked chicken (juicier than rotissed), and I am always on the lookout for their chain-wide imported brand Always Save. There are certain times of the day when the checkout staff is minimal, but then you notice most of the time that they have had some of the same checkout people for years, and they zip you right through. Try to find a familiar checkout face at WalMart, holy cow.

Yesterday at WalMart they had a bargain when buying two bags of Tyson chicken wings at the same time. I examined the little price sign and could see no indication of which type of wing, so I just pulled it off and took it with me to the cash; we all get pretty fed up, I think, at pricing that isn't in the computer system. And I'm glad I did, because even though I gave the girl at the cash the sticker (she thought that was weird, lol), after I checked the receipt and saw that both bags went in at full price... at the bottom of the slip a specific discount was then shown. I'm willing to bet that wouldn't have happened without my active intervention.

I have noticed in Mexico it is very common in stores like Soriana and Ley's that the discount is shown near the end of your receipt. On several occasions I was ready to return and complain only to notice that the discount was applied after I bought the "3 x 2"" and was charged full price. Weird but I now notice it all the time. Just bought 3 boxes of meds at Similares on Monday when they give a 25% discount and the computer receipt shows 100 pesos times 3 equals 225 pesos! Go figure, as I'm about to return and ask why no discount!

Archived