Chapala.com Webboard

Need a home security system

Colo-Rick

The problem with the monitored system (SOSE, ADT, etc.) is that police cannot enter a house without the owners permission. The owners - not the renters. We had SOSE when we were robbed the last time. Apparently, the police came and left because there was no sign of a problem from outside the wall. Meanwhile, the burglars were inside the house bagging our belongings. Apparently, when they left, they just walked out the front door of the house which they had broken through and out the double locked person door in the surrounding wall - which they had also broken through. Apparently, the alarm was still sounding when they left.

Then there was the problem of reporting the crime to the Ministerio Publico. But don't get me started on that . . . .

We use good old fashioned ADT- set up by former owner. Being relatively new to having an alarm system, we've had a few false alarms :unsure:. Not only did they call immediately but on one occasion it seems our Spanish was so bad (we were trying to say there was NO problem) that they dispatched the police who came immediately and were not going to be deterred by a locked gate and a couple of arm-waving :() gringos - they were scaling our walls by the time we finally made it clear we were not banditos. So - it works and yes the police do come....although they may shoot you if you don't improve your Spanish.

I've spent a lot of time researching home security systems. The system that are best use the cell phone. Almost impossible to disable. I have a large hidden horn that you can hear two blocks away. It's hard to imagine a theft will stay in my house with all noise going on. My alarm will also call up to five numbers. I don't call the police.

The best system coming out is the Apple homekit.. This will be the system of the future and hopefully will be shipping in about three Months

We use good old fashioned ADT- set up by former owner. Being relatively new to having an alarm system, we've had a few false alarms :unsure:. Not only did they call immediately but on one occasion it seems our Spanish was so bad (we were trying to say there was NO problem) that they dispatched the police who came immediately and were not going to be deterred by a locked gate and a couple of arm-waving $%&/() gringos - they were scaling our walls by the time we finally made it clear we were not banditos. So - it works and yes the police do come....although they may shoot you if you don't improve your Spanish.

Well that is obviously both good news and bad. I hope you are serious about them scaling the walls. For the three years I had SOSE, we couldn't even get the police to come - even if we called them. Subsequently, we opted for an electric fence. There are a few hilarious stories to tell about the attempts that were made to get over it, but the bottom line is that only one ever did successfully make it over the fence. I do, however, now have an ADT sign out as well as the electric fence sign (a requirement) and double, sliding-bar locks on all the entrances. The one time they got in, they came in over the roof using a blanket to subvert the electric fence up there. Then they couldn't get in the house once they got in the yard - and they could not get out of the yard without causing a huge commotion - which alerted the neighbors who then called me and the police. When the police left, we got out the tequila and had a celebratory drink that turned into an impromptu party. That has since been repeated at several houses. And I have since come to the conclusion that some of the best security you can get is good neighbors. Salud!

Having obvious wealth is a dead give-away. Wearing espensive jewlery, carrying high end camersa, driving new and upscale vehicles, showing a wad of cash in hand or wallet, or even just living in an expensive gated community are all invitations to opportunistic thieves. We have known victims who have had multiple robberies and they just seemed unaware of how inviting a target they were.

Thieves go where they think the goodies are located. Even a visible security system is an indication that there are goodies inside.

Our security consisted of lockable doors between various parts of the property, multiple interior courtyards making for a confusing layout for a stranger, three dogs and good neighbors on a normal street in Chapala. Never a problem in all our years there.

• 1 year later...

We are considering using Smart Home to set up a security system at our home, including motion sensors and window contacts. There would be a horn outside which would blare for two minutes and a call to the company. I have heard that you do not want the police to come (not trustworthy?) but someone from the company.  Presumably the horn would scare a thief anyway. But my main question is - has anyone used Smart Home and therefore have an opinion on the efficiency and trustworthiness of the company?

If it were me I would find out what we have here in the way of armed response private security.  I would ensure, in conjunction with my attorney, they had the right to act as agent of the landlord in these specific circumstances.  I would not rely on watching a home moniter system or calling neighbors who may encounter deadly results.  Certainly noise, and lots of it, a revolving light are great ideas inconjunction  with armed response.  All imho!

Archived