Chapala.com Webboard

Safety Razors and Double-Edged Blades

LostKitty

[Writing from Ajijic]

Quite by accident I happened to recently stumble upon a local source of double-edged razor blades (see my avatar for an image of what I'm talking about). The shop did not have any actual razors (the handle and head assembly that holds the blade) but the fact that they stock blades now has me wondering if 1) there's a shop somewhere in town that does sell safety razors (maybe the Wednesday tiangus is a source for used razors?) and 2) if double-edged blades can be be commonly found everywhere else in Mexico (and even points further south?). On this last point, a quick google search reveals that Mexico, Brazil and Argentina (at least) appear to still be manufacturing sites for these 'old-fashioned' double-edged blades, something that perhaps bodes well for their availability locally.

For some background, I used to shave with a safety razor but more recently began relying on a Gillette Sensor Excel (the kind that permits the heads to be replaced). However, for the last couple of years while travelling in central Mexico its been near impossible to find compatible replacement heads, and particularly so in Jalisco state. And until yesterday at least (when I happened upon the double-edged blades) it appeared as though everything and everyone was migrating to either low- quality disposables or astronomically expensive four (or more) bladed disposables. So, after coming to terms with the unreliability of finding Sensor Excel replacement heads, I sent home my Sensor Excel razor and have been using disposable razors (made from recycled plastic at least) ever since. But given my aversion to producing non-recyclable garbage, I've been regularly on the hunt for an more eco-friendly alternative. And now perhaps I've managed to find one in safety razors.

So, does anyone have any relevant information or personal experience that might aid me in ascertaining the feasibility of transitioning back to safety razors?

Thanks. :)

[For the sake of the forum's posterity]

I've managed to gather a few leads in the few hours since my original post. The first is that double edged blades are apparently more widely available in Mexico then I originally thought. The trick to finding a source of them is to either:

• Visit local pharmacies and personally ask the pharmacist or drug store clerk if they have any in stock, being mindful of the fact that these blades are typically kept separate from the other shaving implements (usually behind the front counter) and are sold in tiny boxes (typically four or ten to a box) only 'over the counter' to prevent shoplifting; or
  • Ask a local barber where they are sold.

The second is that a good source for the blades (and maybe also the razors themselves) are stalls that sell body care products at Guadalajara's Mercado San Juan de Dios (a.k.a Mercado Libertad).

The third is that blades, razors and brushes appear regularly for sale on mercadolibre.com.mx (search for "Rastrillo" or "Navajas Para Afeitar" or "Navaja Doble Filo" or "brocha de barbero") and, regarding countries further south, also on other mercadolibre sites.

The fourth is that it may be possible to find pre-owned razors ("rastrillos" in Mexico) by perusing some of the local second hand shops.

Archived