Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy Pizza Flour

Mexman1957

I've had decent luck by boosting our regular bread flour's protein content from 11% up to 14% using vital wheat gluten, the wheat protein, to get the same consistency crust as we got using hard wheat pizza flour in the states.

Adding 1-1/2 teaspoons of vital wheat gluten to 1 cup of flour boosts the protein content by 3%.

Did not know Superama had stores. Thought they were just online. Wonder if I could find the Superama store in Guad and have them order my flour and I pick it up a their Guad store. Right now, my only option is, to have someone bring it down from Texas.

A trip to Guad would be much easer.

Superama is a grocery store; it's the high end store in the Walmart stable. Lowest-end is Bodega Aurrera, middle is Walmart, high end is Superama.

The easiest Superama to find in Guadalajara is on Av. Aztecas, just a few blocks north of Av. México. When you pass Plaza México as you are driving east, it's the first traffic light. Turn left and continue past the traffic circle. Superama will be on your right at the corner.

Good tip:

The PERFECT pizza flour is made with a 50-50 mix of 0 flour and 00 flour.

you can be able to get both in any supermarket.

Also, as a suggestion, make the tomato sauce at home, with "pellatti" tomatoes (they come canned) just remove the seeds from them and add seasoning, don't cook the sauce, as it will be cooked when you put the pizza in the oven, if you cook it before it will go bitter-ish.

• 6 months later...

Superama is a grocery store; it's the high end store in the Walmart stable. Lowest-end is Bodega Aurrera, middle is Walmart, high end is Superama.

The easiest Superama to find in Guadalajara is on Av. Aztecas, just a few blocks north of Av. México. When you pass Plaza México as you are driving east, it's the first traffic light. Turn left and continue past the traffic circle. Superama will be on your right at the corner.

Many folks lakeside got to the Costco on Lopez Mateos Sur, making the Superama on LMS the easiest to find. Look for the big Burger King sign on your way to Costco, it's easier to spot than the Superama sign.

The protein content controls the consistency, where typical cheap Mexican flour (regardless of the grind) has too low of protein contents to give the same consistency of doughs used in Italy and the USA.

Lets assume you are right. I don't agree, but we only bake somewhere between 4-7 loaves a week of baguettes and boules and have for 9 months, so what do I know? We do that using a biga/poolish method with a minimal amount of yeast, approximately 3/4 tsp. per pound of flour.

If I was in the USA and I wanted to approximate OO flour, I'd mix unbleached a/p and soft as silk cake flour to get the gluten/protein content to where it should be. the typical a/p is about 11%. (that I used), the soft as silk cake flour is less and is finer. .

So again I ask if someone wants to approximate 00, why would you want high protein bread flour?

Respectfully,

Hugh

SuperLake has Pillsbury bread flour. You can also go to WalMart and get pizza dough already made for about $29/kilo.

I have a recipe for refrigerated pizza dough (Pillsbury) and I'm hesitant about making my own. Where at WalMart can I find the already made kind? Thanks!

SuperLake has Pillsbury bread flour. You can also go to WalMart and get pizza dough already made for about $29/kilo.

I have a recipe for refrigerated pizza dough (Pillsbury) and I'm hesitant about making my own. Where at WalMart can I find the already made kind? Thanks!

Lets assume you are right. I don't agree, but we only bake somewhere between 4-7 loaves a week of baguettes and boules and have for 9 months, so what do I know? We do that using a biga/poolish method with a minimal amount of yeast, approximately 3/4 tsp. per pound of flour.

If I was in the USA and I wanted to approximate OO flour, I'd mix unbleached a/p and soft as silk cake flour to get the gluten/protein content to where it should be. the typical a/p is about 11%. (that I used), the soft as silk cake flour is less and is finer. .

So again I ask if someone wants to approximate 00, why would you want high protein bread flour?

Respectfully,

Hugh

"So again I ask if someone wants to approximate 00, why would you want high protein bread flour? "

Fair question. The topic and discussion has been about pizza flour.

Pizza dough is different from baguettes and boules dough. At our pizza shop back in the USA, like other pizza places, we use a hard wheat 12.5% protein content flour, that coincidentally is a 00 grind.

Generic 00 general purpose flours run about 10% protein - which changes both the dough consistency and the air bubbles, which is why the original poster and others were talking about finding good flour specifically for pizza dough.

When pizza bakers can't get their hands on higher protein content pizza dough flours, like Caputo Rinforzato or Pizzeria, they can approximate those pizza flours by amending Mexican 00 flours with vital gluten.

• 4 years later...

I would suggest that many responses to the original post seriously digress and confuse.  "Caputo OO" flour has 11% protein.  Mexican "Talpita Extra Fine" ( 10.5% protein) which is available virtually everywhere, including Superlake and Walmart for about 14pesos per plastic kilo bag provides for virtually the same excellent quality pizza crust.  For the first few years after relocating to Lakeside from Ontario, Canada and having spent many years in the restaurant industry, our last restaurant's pizza sales volume required that we make 300 lbs. of pizza dough every two days.  After retiring and relocating to Lakeside, for the first few years we relied on buying "Napoletana/Stagioni le 5 "OO" flour from Superama (Owned by Walmart) which has a several small, but excellent locations in GDL.  One day we were having lunch in a very successful and long established Italian eatery in Providencia in GDL and as we were incredibly  impressed with the quality of their pizza crust we inquired about about their flour and source.  The owner readily disclosed that they bought their flour "in bulk" from Soriana.  He told us that the flour was "Talpita". We asked him if he was familiar with the Italian flour" Napoletana/le 5 Stagioni" (11.5% protein) which my wife and I had been buying, for several years, from the Superama store which was located on Manuel Acuna (approx. 1 km. from his restaurant).  His response (and I quote) " Way too expensive and it's exactly the same thing!" Well, it may not be exactly the "same thing" but he was totally correct in that the Talpita Extra Fine, can be purchased for 1/8th of the price of imported Italian "OO" flour.

Our experience in the years since:  We never use anything else.  Our friends love our pizza and.......as we frequently give pizzas as gifts or simply to people we do business with, the owner of the successful Providencia Italian restaurant/pizzeria that I've mentioned herein, arranged for his supplier to provide us with our supply of pizza boxes whenever we need them.   Which is often, as we happen to have a commercial pizza oven that's used constantly.

• Like 2