Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy Pizza Flour

Mexman1957

I've been trying for the last several Months to find Pizza Flour here in Mex.

I'm looking for high protein (13 %). I'm sure there is an flour importer somewhere down here.

I would love to find Italian Caputo 00. I found a 50 lb bag in the states for around $50, but they wanted $128 to ship it to me. There would probably be duty on top of that. I want some good flour, but not going to pay $250 for a bag.

I've been trying for the last several Months to find Pizza Flour here in Mex.

I feel your pain! This flour is only available from hard wheat - which grows in Western Canada and the Northern U.S.A. So right away there is a geographical problem. The next problem is that this wheat is in high demand in Europe, especially for pasta. There was a price rise of 10% this year due to shortages. Final problem - flour spoils very quickly without chemical additives. It would be best shipped as "wheat berries", full grains, then run through a grain grinder and a chaff filter (otherwise it will be 100% whole wheat flour). There is another pizza maker on this forum that owns a grain grinder and has seen wheat berries in Guadalajara abastos. They are probably soft wheat and she thought there was a lot of debris in them.

About your only hope is to ask the bakery "Peter Panaderia" who makes a very good bread, which tastes of hard wheat to me, or the French bakery near the Huerta shopping complex in West Ajijic. See if they will sell you flour, at a profit of course. They should be cooperative if they don't think you are potential competition.

I am going to make this flatbread recipe. Oat flour, white/brown rice flour, are hard to find. I plan on soaking the grains overnight and then running them through my wet stone grinding machine.

http://mattikaarts.com/blog/gluten-free-flatbreads-hot-pepper-lonzino-and-mizuna/

I can see that now Lori. This company is very large, and offer seven types of flour. One of them specifically for pizza.

http://www.munsa.com.mx/producto.php?prid=6

The flatbread dough is rising now - let me know if you want one to sample. Are you gluten free? - I might cheat a little bit and roll out the dough with a bit of wheat flour, or I could give you some raw dough and brown rice to grind into flour.

I can see that now Lori. This company is very large, and offer seven types of flour. One of them specifically for pizza.

The flatbread dough is rising now - let me know if you want one to sample. Are you gluten free? - I might cheat a little bit and roll out the dough with a bit of wheat flour, or I could give you some raw dough and brown rice to grind into flour.

If you look at the Munsa website, you'll see that the pizza 'flour' contains: harina de trigo, aceite vegetal, manteca vegetal, azúcar, sal yodatada y acondicionadores de masa. It's flour pre-prepared for pizza with a lot of extraneous ingredients, and is not the hard-wheat flour that the OP is seeking.

WELL! Today I was placing an order online with Superama. My wife the bread maker asked for a couple of bags of Tres Estrellas flour. I discovered that in the online flour 'aisle', Superama offers Le 5 Stagioni 00 pizza flour. I googled around and discovered that its protein percent is 11.5 or higher. Wife wants to try it, so I ordered a kilo.

Mexman, you might want to check it out. http://www.superama.com.mx Click on the DESPENSA tab, then the HARINAS category is on the bottom line, third from the right. Click on 'De Trigo'. Then on the left you'll see brand names; just look for Le 5 Stagioni and put a check mark in the box.

• Like 1

Mexman, don't be so hard on yourself but you'll do what you want.

What would be fun to do is get a bag of Caputo 00 flour, which just means it's extra finely ground flour, yes I know where Caputo comes from and I'm aware of the protein content ranging 11-13+%. So which Caputo 00 is going to be considered the best flavored, the best flour? There's several brands of Caputo 00. So we get a small bag of the flour from say, Superlake or Superama. And then have a pizza throw down between a Caputo 00 flour and the extra fine pizza flour at Sam's Club. Protein 11.5% Did you try it?

If there's anyone that wants to make authentic Italian pizza, it's me, I love making pizza from scratch. I went and spent a little bit of time with an Italian, from Italy, who owns and operates a pizza restaurant with a wfo. He put my mind at ease about the stress of finding the Caputo 00 flour because the flavor develops more from the fermentation, don't we know. Granted, I've tasted flours that I didn't care for but I think you'll like the flour at Sams Club if you'd give it a chance. If not, have your friend bring you a bag of Caputo 00, you can order on Amazon and hopefully they'll be no problems at the border. It'll be an expense but if that's the hassle you want.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/06/the-pizza-lab-on-flour-foams-and-dough.html

maybe this will help you relax a little: caputo 00 flour protein content 11%, so what's to say 11.5% isn't good enough if it's ground 00(extra fine)

http://caputoflour.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/00_Extra-Flour-BlueBag-SPECS.pdf

http://caputoflour.com/

Mexman, if you're who I think you are, I've tasted your pizza crust, I wouldn't fret about it but do get a bag of Caputo 00 and have some made from that so you can say that you did. Aside from an amateur like me, no one will ever ask you if you're using Caputo 00 flour.

The other thing that I understand is Caputo 00 has a higher gluten content, which I have yet to read the gluten content on any flour bag aside from the Italian flours. Which is one of the reasons I think people base their thinking on the protein content. Anyway, I've added gluten flour to my doughs, why not add gluten flour to pizza dough? Then I always wonder how much?

To me, learning how to bake in the wfo is still something I'd like to master, I don't have buffalo cheese but still am told my pizza is the best. Are you going to get a buffalo to make the fresh cheese or will cow's milk do? ;)

Was this addressed to me? I apologize Chillin and I'm not sure who you are behind your screen name. Are you in the bread baker's group on fb?

WELL! Today I was placing an order online with Superama. My wife the bread maker asked for a couple of bags of Tres Estrellas flour. I discovered that in the online flour 'aisle', Superama offers Le 5 Stagioni 00 pizza flour. I googled around and discovered that its protein percent is 11.5 or higher. Wife wants to try it, so I ordered a kilo.

Mexman, you might want to check it out. http://www.superama.com.mx Click on the DESPENSA tab, then the HARINAS category is on the bottom line, third from the right. Click on 'De Trigo'. Then on the left you'll see brand names; just look for Le 5 Stagioni and put a check mark in the box.

Wow, what a great lead! Love this info... one 00 flour only has 10% protein content, one 11%, one 11.5%, one 14% http://www.le5stagioni.it/en-US/products.aspx how is one going to decide which protein content makes the best pizza?

I don't have a big need to rush out and get this brand when I'm good with what I already found.

Flour for Neapolitan pizza

Le 5 Stagioni is becoming official member of the Suppliers approved to full title by the “Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana”. The Flour Pizza Napoletana branded Le 5 Stagioni has received the “certificate of suitability” in conformity to the parameters of quality and the requisites established by the official disciplinary for the realization of the true Neapolitan Pizza. The rheological characteristics of the product and its elasticity have permitted an appreciated recognition highly valued by master pizzaioli in Italy and abroad. Soft wheat flour obtained from the milling and sifting of national and European non-germinated soft wheat, from which extraneous substances and impurities have been removed according to the law in force (No. 580 of 04/07/67). Special and particularly elastic flour for the production of traditional Neapolitan pizza.

Physical/Chemical Properties

Moisture: max 15,5 % Proteins: min 11,5 % Ashes: type 00 max 0,55 Wet Gluten: min 28 %

Rheological Properties

Chopin Alveograph:

W 300 - Tolerance: -10/+20 P/L 0,60 - Tolerance: +-0,10 Brabender Farinograph: Absorption min 55 % Stability min 10’

Brabender Amylograph:

Amylogram 800/1200 u.a.

I use a superfine flour that I find at my local tienda. I have never looked at the package for protein content, but will next time I buy some. I do know it works great for pizza. I have had lots of complements on my crust, mainly from really picky people.

A better question might be what yeast is people using? I personally like the azteca brand. I have heard lots of complaints from those buying the packets that are imported. Saying things don't rise right. Quite possibly it has been stored improperly. Too hot in the trucks bringing it down? I keep mine in the fridge in a jar.

Just read in one of my Pizza forums that the 2014 World Pizza champion from Au won the Championship using Le 5 Stagioni flour.

I'm going to try and get a bag. Not doing so good trying to get Caputo 00.

Thanks for the info

How does the ordering on-line work with Superama?

Go to Superama's website. Register and choose the store you want to be 'your' store. Order what you need using Superama's drop-down department menus. You can pay by debit card or credit card (online) or with cash paid to the delivery man. For a small fee, they'll bring your order to your house. Because the fee is the same whether you order one item or a lot, I usually wait to order until I am nearly out of a bunch of staples. Superama's ground sirloin is excellent, by the way.

Walmart will also deliver to your home. The process is the same: register, choose your store, and order what you need. Same choices for payment, but Walmart offers your first delivery free, and subsequent deliveries free if you purchase more than 1000 pesos at one time. Same excellent ground sirloin.

Fair warning: items are sometimes in odd departments, but both stores have excellent search services. Both stores send you an email to confirm your order. Both stores call you to let you know if they are out of an item you want; you can change your order at the time they call, if need be.

I tried ordering produce (apples, tomatoes, etc) from both stores and no longer do that. If you're not picky about what you get, you might be satisfied with what they send you. I'm picky, so I like to choose personally at a tianguis or market near me.

Have fun! It's a wonderful service.

Go to Superama's website. Register and choose the store you want to be 'your' store. Order what you need using Superama's drop-down department menus. You can pay by debit card or credit card (online) or with cash paid to the delivery man. For a small fee, they'll bring your order to your house. Because the fee is the same whether you order one item or a lot, I usually wait to order until I am nearly out of a bunch of staples. Superama's ground sirloin is excellent, by the way.

Walmart will also deliver to your home. The process is the same: register, choose your store, and order what you need. Same choices for payment, but Walmart offers your first delivery free, and subsequent deliveries free if you purchase more than 1000 pesos at one time. Same excellent ground sirloin.

Fair warning: items are sometimes in odd departments, but both stores have excellent search services. Both stores send you an email to confirm your order. Both stores call you to let you know if they are out of an item you want; you can change your order at the time they call, if need be.

I tried ordering produce (apples, tomatoes, etc) from both stores and no longer do that. If you're not picky about what you get, you might be satisfied with what they send you. I'm picky, so I like to choose personally at a tianguis or market near me.

Have fun! It's a wonderful service.

I tried to order from Superama.com.

I ask the help of a Spanish friend and we located the Flour we wanted, but the site want me to set up an account before we ordered.

We got error messages trying to set up an account. One message said that the Zip code of Ajijic was not recognized .

It looks like most of their business is in Mexico City.

Do you know if they will deliver to the Walmart store or my home in Ajijic?

Thanks

I tried to order from Superama.com.

I ask the help of a Spanish friend and we located the Flour we wanted, but the site want me to set up an account before we ordered.

We got error messages trying to set up an account. One message said that the Zip code of Ajijic was not recognized .

It looks like most of their business is in Mexico City.

Do you know if they will deliver to the Walmart store or my home in Ajijic?

Thanks

Sorry...Superama will not deliver to a place where they do not have a store. There are many Superama stores in Guadalajara, Morelia, etc, but none in Ajijic.

Go to the Walmart website (http://www.walmart.com.mx) and try to register. The website will let you know if the Ajijic Walmart delivers.

There is a Superama on Lopez Mateo Sur, south side of the highway before you get to Costco, if coming from Lakeside via Jocotopec. It is easier to stop there after your Costco visit, as you will have crossed under the highway and be headed south, putting the Superama on your right in a small shopping area.

There is a Superama on Lopez Mateo Sur, south side of the highway before you get to Costco, if coming from Lakeside via Jocotopec. It is easier to stop there after your Costco visit, as you will have crossed under the highway and be headed south, putting the Superama on your right in a small shopping area.

Thanks very much. I've made the trip to Costco dozens of time and never seen it. Must be a small store.

Will plan to go there this week

It is small and it sits back in that small shopping area, making it somewhat hard to see. It is best to try to spot it on your way to Costco, by having your passenger look across the other, southbound lane. Then, you can pick a more visible landmare for your turn when you are southbound yourself. I would try to tell you what the landmark might be, but try as I might, I cannot remember. Use Google map and you might be able to find it with a street view. The Superama addresses must be available online.