Chapala.com Webboard

Simapa water bills

bmw1150rt

Went to Simapa today to to pay my water bill and they said I would need to have a meter installed and we would pay $1,500. Pesos for it! I am skeptical of this idea. I told them I didn't want a meter. They told me I could go to Simapa in Chapala to discuss this. Any comments would be appreciated.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We paid 1000 pesos for the install. Our entire development was put on meters at the beginning of last year. Some were installed in early January, like ours, and some in Feb and March until they ran out of meters. The bottom line for us, and I can't speak for anyone else is our water bill for 2014 was less than half of what we paid in 2013!

Thanks for the reply Desertdave. We too are in a gated community, Vista Alegre. The possibility of saving $ is good but not the 50% increase in the meter installI. I understand Chula Vista Norte is now on water meters.

My initial fear might have been confussing the water meters with the CFE smart meter problems I recall reading about.

Meters used to be 500 pesos, then 1000 now in 2015 are 1500, they are good if you dont use as much water as you are being charged for.

For those with meters, what does SIMAPA charge per liter of water? The lump sum yearly bill has been growing very quickly and is based on some nebulous formula combining bathrooms, property size and pool. I'm not convinced the formula directly converts to water usage.

If we knew how much SIMAPA charged per liter we could easily divide back our lump sum bill to see how much water we're paying for. Mine was over $8,000 pesos last year and has almost tripled in 11 years. I expect another double digit percentage increase this year.

Seems kind of high for a water meter. On our private system east of Chapala we use 3/4" multi-port flow meters made by Dorot and buy them directly from Dorot in GDL for around $300 pesos each. We charge our members $7 pesos/cubic meter of water in our first tier.

I paid my water bill today in Chapala for a three bedroom house with three baths. I pay only once a year and my water bill went up from 2345.32 pesos(2013) to 2660.62 pesos (2014) and now to 2740.42 pesos. A Mexican friend took me and said that paying early I could have saved much, much more if I had been a permanente resident (2016, I hope). He also asked if I wanted to put off paying until I brought my Inapam card. Stupid me; I ransacked the house before I finally found it and I had already paid the bill. The friend told me that they may be planning to make water meters the future of billing.

If you have a permanente or an Inapam card bring them with you to save cash. I had no idea that I would have to pay for the meter installation if they meter my property. It makes sense, though. All in all it was still a bargain compared to my Florida water bills. Next year I'll be prepared (I'm a slow learner)!

my gardner is a citizen and he told me he did not get one ..I am a citizen so I will publish if I get one or not this year. I believe John Shrall is also a citizen so he can let us know as well, it should be interesting to compare notes.

I have seen several bills between similar properties in the area and frankly they make no sense

whatsoever.

I am not against meter and believe they are the only fair soluion but I would like to have some information before making a decision and transparency from SIMAPA is badly needed.

What happen if you use more than 30 m3 ? What are the rates?

so right now thanks to Daisy we know that 30m3 or 30 000L every 2 months is 295 pesos.

I do get a 50% discount. You have to show your INE card and it is next automatic.

the schedule I have is 30 to 45 m3 increase 24 centavos per m3

46 to 60m3 increase another 51 centavos per m3

61 to 75 m3 increase another 8 centavos per m3

76 to 90m3 increase another 22 centavos per m3

the more you use the more it costs

As far as I know, there is no discount for INAPAN or DIF. I tried that last year. Will try the permanente card this year but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyone tried either or all yet?

Yes, my husband is Permanente and did get a good discount on the water bill last year.

I can't recall the exact percentage but it was nice.

The problem,as mentioned earlier, is estimating your average monthly water usage when you do not have a meter. One can buy a non-Simapa meter and have it installed by your own plumber at your turn off valve..Monitor for several months for liters used, do the math and then determine whether it is better to have a Simapa meter installed or continue with the unlimited usage annual bill. My bill had grown over the years with a large property, large house with 11 bathrooms, gardens and pool to over $3000.US/year..But my help and plumber both told me not to get a meter as it would cost more...Never did find out if they were correct or not..The bill went up every year and the only discount was for paying, in full, early...

Archived