Chapala.com Webboard

Changing Currency

Zeb

If by currency you mean real paper money or even coins probably best done at one of the many currency exchange places you will pass by as you drive through Pharr along US 281 aka S. Cage Blvd.

Most are open 24/7 so you don't have to worry about timing, and by the way, banks on neither side of the border seem to do foreign exchange for walk-ins.

If by currency you mean real paper money or even coins probably best done at one of the many currency exchange places you will pass by as you drive through Pharr along US 281 aka S. Cage Blvd.

Most are open 24/7 so you don't have to worry about timing, and by the way, banks on neither side of the border seem to do foreign exchange for walk-ins.

Very good suggestion. If you get into Pharr early enough, take a quick run down there and get it done the day before. Assuming you're making the run straight through, about 11 hours, you'll want to hit the Mexican side no later than 6:30AM. That gets you in here plenty early to get to your accommodation and have plenty of time for a nice celebratory dinner after you drop your bags and freshen up.

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like any local information I might be able to provide after you get here.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances, I would plan to cross the border with very little or no US cash, and draw it from ATM's once you cross. The days of a cambio on every corner are pretty much gone, except at prime tourist locations, and then the exchange rate isn't the best. They tend to watch money exchange carefully at banks, I guess guarding against drug laundering. The only place locally that I'm aware of that I can change US cash into pesos is Intercam, and that's because I have an account there. I always advise my many visitors to only bring enough US cash to last them in the US airports, and get pesos from an ATM once here.

That's all fine and good but the OP is driving in, through a smaller point of entry. Not flying.

Zeb, I think your best bet is to exchange maybe $300 worth at a cambio before your cross the border. You might be able to find one right there in Houston before you go, if not they are easy to find on S. Cage.

Archived