Chapala.com Webboard

Veracruz coffe man on ajjic carretera

court0503

Will give him some business this week. I believe in helping people. Karma No different than supporting local business. The OP only mentioned throwing him some extra business.He wasn't asking for a hand out. I wonder if you would feel the same if you were the one that needed a hand.

Guest bennie2

a classier way to do this would be: reccomending his coffee because it is very good, a fair price, convenient to llyods. because its high season he would get more customers. when you get into anything else (in this case) it is didactic manipulation. when i read these things, i usually avoid that paticular vendor. (unless its some kind of emergency situation). why? because it doesnt tell me much about the product. there are many "nice" people who "need help". real help. someone says "get a life". say what? bway: dont tell me where to go. i have a right to my opinion.

Guest bennie2

their price is signifiently lower than santa fe brand. (the stuff they sell @ torittos/superlake). its best to promote a product. not every mexican wants to be a considered a charity case. we need to treat people as human beings w/dignity. not a feelgood hobby. i would buy from him again, but its much too strong.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Bennie. Two things are important to me in a post about a product or service. Is the

product good and is the price reasonable. I really don't care about anything else. Also, Bennie's comment about the strength of

the coffee was the most useful info in the thread. I would also add that the man has been setting up there for years. Someone sure

likes his coffee.

Guest bennie2

thankyou kayjay. someone says if you "dont like it stay home" (??). dont like what?? (do tell). "get a life" hmmm.... it seems that for most expats everyone elses life somehow factors in somewhere. whatever. his coffee (1&1/2 yrs ago) was 30pesos less per kilo than santa fe brand. bought it several times. made it light w/added rice milk. tried everything. each time i got red rashes from the strength of the coffee, or the kind of brew it was. its a bit bitter but matter of taste. too bad, im now back w/santa fe. most people would do fine w/it im sure. hes in a good local. pass him all the time, but never see customers. maybe he does an early morning business.

Bennie,giving out info on his competitive prices inspires me to want to shop from him. Hearing he's throwing a party, so I should shop from him irks me and makes me want to avoid him (and he likely didn't ask anyone to post on his behalf). It's not like it's an emergency surgery needed. I don't either understand the "if you don't agree with me, go home!!" attitude I hear so much of on here. I highly doubt those people would have the same sentiments in their original hometowns. People move here and suddenly become purported saints and expect everyone else do share the same opinions.

When you publicly request people to buy goods from someone because that someone is having a party, it does sound like a charity hustle.

Hey, go hire my friend to clean your house because she's nice and works hard and is throwing her kid a big party and needs to pay for it. Does that inspire you?

Guest bennie2

serenity6: its doesnt "sound" like a charity hustle it IS a charity hustle. these folks have to feel important. (so everyone "neeeeeds a helping hand"). they patronize people. they also assume all foreigners are here to do social work or be a busybody. social work because someone is mexican, & didnt even ask for it! if a family can make a party for 100s of people they not @ all needy. i certainly have NO responsiblity to fund parties. speaking of "get a life'"- maybe the expats should find one. whats next? a fund raiser? doesnt surprise me. things may be slow. who is the next pet of the month?

Care about other people or don't care about other people, have a personal relationship with the people with whom you do business or don't. I understand both points of view.

What I do not understand is why anyone would care who does or does not purchase their coffee from the man in the truck or why they do it for that matter.

The young man who works with Francisco selling coffee from the cart is his nephew. Ask for medio roast if you don't want a strong dark blend. The coffee is wonderful!

The Mexican way is to help out a friend. It is up to you if you prefer to behave in the NOB way of "I'm for me first" or join many of the rest of us in doing a little something extra for a friend and genuinely nice guy. If I hadn't just bought a kilo, I'd buy extra. If it makes you feel better to drink more expensive coffee and know you didn't stoop to helping another human being, it's your life.

It might also help if some of the newbies understood the custom of the quinceaƱeras and the huge expense involved, how it is shared by patrones and friends and how the father may be in debt for years to fulfull his obligation. A family with several daughters may spend their entire lifetime paying off the loan sharks. In spite of that, the custom continues with good cheer and a lot of fun for everyone. If you are fortunate, you will have been invited to several of them, as well as the weddings which often follow in a year or three.

Archived