Chapala.com Webboard

legalizing US car - update please

JayBearII

I have a friend (US expat) with a US car that he wants to nationalize, and he is getting a broker to do that without taking the car to the border. I thought this was illegal. Not sure he would get caught; hey, he hasn't got caught driving his US car YET, altho this cuts down on his driving big-time. I hate to see him spend money without getting the car truly legalized. Me, I want to be REALLY legal, especially if I am spending money to acquire such status! (Me, I took my US car to Tucson and sold it, bought a new car from S&S before I went, so me, I am happy, albeit at considerable expense!) So could y'all give me an update on the legality of legalization without a trip to the border? Or just say, "Yes, you are right as usual!" and increase my self-esteem? BTW, I believe his car has the appropriate VIN prefix for legalization.

Your friend wants someone with a 100% success rate. If plates included process is not legal. If through GDL airport based on history likely not legal. If non-NAFTA not legal. If they say they will do it quickly, not legal.

On my FB page is where I update and past customers may have commented.

saludos

Sonia

I think Sonia has just heard some good news, but it may be wise to wait just a bit for the backlog to be cleared and the dust to settle.

Stay tuned, and I am sure she will tell us more in the near future.

We are in the backlog of vehicles waiting and have been since November. We are also doing it with an agent without going to the border and as previously mentioned, it depends on who with. Nothing has been happening for the last month or so but we were just informed it is starting to open up. We have no expectations though of a quick finish.

I just received an email from a person at Nogales. They are told nationalizing will take at least 10 days!!! They are proceeding with a car permit.

Business days or calendar days?

Business days or calendar days?

Here are the exact words from the email.... "We were told by the broker in Nogales that it would take at least 10 days to complete the process. We do not have that time". I believe calendar days. Also in another email told no Canadian cars at this time at Nogales.

In one hour a meeting starts with Aduana and the person I work with plus several national representatives with regards to nationalizing. Hopefully, updates regarding nationalizing vehicles already in Mexico.

Fingers Crossed.

Sonia

The meeting is over and yes nationalizing from within Mexico is possible at least for me. The requirements are exactly as before. Viva Mexico.

The cars, motorcycles, RV's that have been on hold are being processed. There is a huge backlog so patience still required. Some of you are working with people in Manzanillo etc and hopefully they too can now proceed. Some of you ask for information via here about nationalizing and how do I answer if I can not speak from my experience in the same way a lawyer (our friend) from Chapala may answer questions or others with specific knowledge gained by their related experience?

Have a great weekend

Sonia

The meeting is over and yes nationalizing from within Mexico is possible at least for me.

Sonia

At least for you?

Your self promotion and advertising on this board is quite something,I'm surprised that the moderators allow it.

Good for you Sonia - some members here give you a lot of guff - I really don't know why. You bring a lot of class to your chosen occupation and then to this forum and its endless, and often pointless debates. I sense, like I am sure everyone else does, that you are not "self promoting and advertising" but rather you simply enjoy helping people with your knowledge and contacts. You have the type of personality which excels at unraveling these messes and mysteries.

Thank you. Keep up the good work, your information has always been spot on.

At least for you?

Your self promotion and advertising on this board is quite something,I'm surprised that the moderators allow it.

Yes, I wonder why they allow Spencer to advertise and he is local.

Sonia only nationalizes cars for some of us here. I guess it would be better for us to spend a few thousand dollars more and go to the border because we didn't know about her service. Oh yeah, the other people who nationalize posted something about it opening up again also and they are local. Are you complaining about them also?

The meeting is over and yes nationalizing from within Mexico is possible at least for me. The requirements are exactly as before. Viva Mexico.

The cars, motorcycles, RV's that have been on hold are being processed. There is a huge backlog so patience still required. Some of you are working with people in Manzanillo etc and hopefully they too can now proceed. Some of you ask for information via here about nationalizing and how do I answer if I can not speak from my experience in the same way a lawyer (our friend) from Chapala may answer questions or others with specific knowledge gained by their related experience?

Have a great weekend

Sonia

Are these all Canadian vehicles?

How are you meeting the US Customs legal requirement that American-titled vehicles must be formally exported from the USA, in the 3 day CBP process? (requiring a drive to the US-Mexico border)

If you are still not following US export law for US-titled vehicles, as the US government (CBP) and Mexican government (Aduana) are now exchanging electronic database records for every US vehicle imported into Mexico, how will your US customers who do not complete the 3 day CBP inspection and export process, avoid being detected and avoid having to pay future fines to the US govt. for breaking US law?

These "paper-only" processes still look unclear for US-titled vehicles.

We still have friends with vehicles caught in another broker's "paper-only" process, and we'd love to hear what legal options are available.

Your friend wants someone with a 100% success rate. If plates included process is not legal. If through GDL airport based on history likely not legal. If non-NAFTA not legal. If they say they will do it quickly, not legal.

On my FB page is where I update and past customers may have commented.

saludos

Sonia

Where do the plates come from for those cars that are nationalized at the airport? Are the plates stolen?

More cars are nationalized in bars and cantinas than at the airport. True fact as many people do business in bars and cantinas and aduana DOES NOT nationalize cars at the airport, just a broker who lied about working for aduana and who has taken peoples money and given fake papers as well as done some legit nationalizations.

Many times brokers bribe people at the plate department to get plates without inspecting the vehicle as the nationalization papers are fake so they cannot present the car legally to get plates but every now and then people get caught as their car gets impounded and they check the cars history or the state office does audits. This happened to the airport people and a guy in Ajijic that another law firm was working with.

More cars are nationalized in bars and cantinas than at the airport. True fact as many people do business in bars and cantinas and aduana DOES NOT nationalize cars at the airport, just a broker who lied about working for aduana and who has taken peoples money and given fake papers as well as done some legit nationalizations.

Many times brokers bribe people at the plate department to get plates without inspecting the vehicle as the nationalization papers are fake so they cannot present the car legally to get plates but every now and then people get caught as their car gets impounded and they check the cars history or the state office does audits. This happened to the airport people and a guy in Ajijic that another law firm was working with.

When you "virtually" nationalized your car did you do it at the airport or at a cantina?

Neither, wish I had done it at a cantina. Both my cars were taken personally to do the plates. Sonia, you should meet people at a taco stand so then they can say they nationalized at Lake Taco and stop saying the airport.

A big thank you to Sonia for her commitment to this issue. Regardless that it is also her business, we who have a vehicle somewhere in the system appreciate having someone on the inside ( so to speak) give us updates. I am working with an agent in Manzanillo and Sonia's comments and information are reassurance to all of us here waiting.

Who cares if it may have a component of self promotion. Rather have Sonia than the lay person with hear say info , every time.

We would love to have a " Spenser " and a " Sonia" person in Manzanillo as go to sources.

This is a wonderful web board for all of us, let's keep it non confrontational

The people that I know that had their vehicles nationalized at the GDL airport all took their cars in for the inspection, spent the day there, and drove home with new plates received there. They spent all day because there were over a hundred other cars and owners also waiting for inspections and plates.

I also feel bad for the abuse heaped on Sonia, whom I believe is an honest person, offering her services and advice which we can choose to take or not and she is certainly not the only person who does so on this board.

Where do the plates come from for those cars that are nationalized at the airport? Are the plates stolen?

Sonia doesn't nationalize at the airport. Why would she know?

I know someone who nationalized at the GDL airport last year and he hasn't had any problems.

Neither, wish I had done it at a cantina. Both my cars were taken personally to do the plates. Sonia, you should meet people at a taco stand so then they can say they nationalized at Lake Taco and stop saying the airport.

Sonia does not nationalize at the airport so why make that statement?

I believe all the non-NAFTA cars done through people at the GDL airport were fraudulent. Two I had Aduana confirm. All the cars done through people at the GDL airport which received plates as part of process were fraudulent.

I believe some were nationalized legally through people at the GDL airport that were NAFTA made, 2008 and older and which did not receive plates to which Spencer refers to.

These nationalizing posts should be about processes, how to do it legally, where not to do it, what processes are available, what cost, current border requirements and time required, etc. The intent is to inform. It is not about me.

For those who are supportive, I sincerely thank you.

Sonia

PS CeeZee just returned from a week in Manzanillo.... loved your city. A friend there is Yesi who helps expats and has great integrity.

Archived