Chapala.com Webboard

Taste of Thai closed

bdlngton

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

People - they are NOT closed. We have eaten there twice in the last week. If all of you like the place so much, why not call them or go bye and you will see that they are still in business. Same owner who is now cooking since another restaurant lured her chef away. Same nice young waiter who speaks excellent English.

You were not interfering. You were contributing. You are not the first person to confuse the two restaurants and will likely not be the last--unless Taste of Thai never reopens.

Sorry your internet is slow tonight. Hope it improves.

It is a generational thing. We old farts don‘t like being called “dude“, nor will we be likely to continue a conversation with someone who answers a cell phone while we are talking. It is considered, by us, to be extremely impolite. That‘s all. No more complicated than that. Now, the 1929 Model A Ford that a friend drives, is about to depart from the front of our house. I wish I could keep it. :)

Real cars that we can actually work on; although your preferences were getting too crowded under the hood. Besides, they still seem like new cars to me, since I was an adult when they came out, and I was not in the USA, so still cannot tell the difference from one make to another ‘60s car; they all look pretty similar. Remember, I am old enough to have driven on wooden spokes.

RVGRINGO we don't say swell anymore either. Dude and Dudedette is harmless and not meant to insult. Its an greeting. You know young folks say "Ya Man" like a rasta dude and don't say Que Pasa or Que tal anymore in Mexico city. It will be here in a year or so along with some kinda of whistle they do that I don't get. No one meant to offend you.

I know, but I have little else to do but to pester the younger crowd. I admit to not understanding much of their lingo & habits, and take some satisfaction in noting that they don‘t seem to know much about the era in which we came up either. Maybe they could be lucky enough to repeat the mid-20th century; I would like to do so, as they were very good years from the end of WWII through the 70s. Everyone knew that dudes were found on dude ranches and swells, in hotel cocktail lounges.

Today I picked up a flyer publicizing a new - or at least new to me- Thai Restaurant in Ajijic. Info below. The timing of this seems enormously coincidental, and there's also something vaguely familiar about the wording used on the flyer. I'll let you internet sleuths determine if there is any connection. Flyer says:

Tepetate Pien - Thai Cuisine

Comida Tailandesa

La Mejor Comida Thai de Ajijic

Mon-Sat 12pm to 9pm, closed Sunday

Hidalgo 31-A, Ajijic (A una cuadra de la plaza principal)

Reservaciones: 766-2020

Facebook page: Tepetate Restaurant

Interesting. The sign on the street by their place doesn't show anything like Thai food... oh, wait, they have another FaceBook page, with a name change. https://www.facebook.com/TepetateRestaurant?ref=profile

Didn't their used to be a Thai place at 31 Hidalgo, whose Chef quit and joined Taste of Thai, the now defunct joint? I don't remember the chef's face, but the big guy in the back looks awfully familiar as perhaps the headwaiter/partner in Taste?

And I have to add that the specials shown on the Facebook page look familiar. I had Special #1 at Taste of Thai the first time I ate there.

Interesting. The sign on the street by their place doesn't show anything like Thai food... oh, wait, they have another FaceBook page, with a name change. https://www.facebook.com/TepetateRestaurant?ref=profile

Didn't their used to be a Thai place at 31 Hidalgo, whose Chef quit and joined Taste of Thai, the now defunct joint? I don't remember the chef's face, but the big guy in the back looks awfully familiar as perhaps the headwaiter/partner in Taste?

And I have to add that the specials shown on the Facebook page look familiar. I had Special #1 at Taste of Thai the first time I ate there.

Do you think it is Victor that you saw?

Pien Thai was at Hidalgo 17

https://www.facebook.com/pienthaicuisine?ref=ts&fref=ts

Same restaurant just moving around?

Get a life people....sad that yet another place closed and for whatever reason .. but that is life in this village.

Things sort themselves out...and successful eateries have a few criteria that keep them successful.

Consistent good food (and not running out especially when they have advertised a 'special' or particular event), consistent good prices with understandable increases when necessary...and consistent good service and staff!!

Gossip....time we all got past that....at this stage of our lives........

Archived