Chapala.com Webboard

Sewage smell from shower drain

Al Berca

There has been a strong sewage smell from a shower drain. It has been ongoing for almost two weeks. Shower is used on a daily basis. Rubber stopper in place and sink drains are being closed after use. The smell persists. Any suggestions on what to do or look for or if there is something other than vinegar which has not helped to pour down that drain? We are on septic, not sewer. Any reasonable suggestions appreciated. Two plumbers have had no idea what to do. Thank you.

We are on Septic also. This happened to us recently. My husband snaked the line, apparently we had the start of a clog. This cleared it up. Have you checked the septic holder (tank/brick lined/etc.) to see if it needs cleaning. I am assuming the plumbers did that. We now use Sosa every 6 months to help keep the lines clear.

Thanks Peach. The problem is compounded by the fact that this is a three story apartment building with one unit on each floor and this is the top unit. It is four stories down to septic tank for building and the other two units are not experiencing this problem.

There probably is no "trap" installed in the shower drain or a vacuum (negative air pressure difference between the air in the tank and the air in your house) in the tank which is sucking the water out of the trap (if there is one). This will allow sewer gases to escape from the tank back up through the drain. Also check to see if their is a stack vent that is above the shower - usually protruding up out of the roof to let air into or out of the system at the highest point. Any competent plumber should be able to check that for you.

Are you sure you don't have a water trap in the shower? These often become clogged with hair and require a simple cleaning and the problem is solved. Rubber stoppers are usually to prevent bugs from coming in not to prevent odors.

Are you sure you don't have a water trap in the shower? These often become clogged with hair and require a simple cleaning and the problem is solved. Rubber stoppers are usually to prevent bugs from coming in not to prevent odors.

You just beat me to it Cedros. Most showers have traps but be assured the builder probably used the 70 peso ones not the 700 peso ones.

You have to pry off the grill and pop the trap with a screw driver. You will be surprised at the collection of hair that accumulates even when you remove it from the surface of the grill every time you shower. It's a gross job and I wear rubber gloves.

Instant clean and no more smell.

p.s. credit to the Habachts in Joco from whom I learned this trick.

I was just going to add what Ferret said. When you pry off the grill you should see a doughnut shaped trap that lies horizontally.
Clean it out and add water and voila. It is very easy to do.

Thanks Ferret and Cedros. I will try that. Am also thinking maybe to snake that drain if I knew somebody that had about 100 feet of snake or even having septic cleaned, although it was checked last year and was fine. Just grasping at straws right now for any possibilities. Appreciate your help.

Another try is to get the largest pot you can handle (stock pot?), heat water until rolling boil, pour the water down the drain, following with hot water from the faucet. This is usually enough to cut through grease or soap scum. Wastes water - but is non-toxic.

We used to have the same problem, but at a house with a sewer connection, not septic. Along with making sure the trap was functioning correctly, or at least somewhat, which in our case meant pouring water into the shower every few days since the it wasn't used regularly, we also had to flush it with vinegar and baking soda (bicarbonato) about once a month. Vinegar by itself did nothing, but the combination of the two is miraculous. Just google "stinky drain vinegar baking soda" and you'll find five million links.

A very competent Mexican plumber told us to do that because we were renting and he knew we didn't want to pay a fortune to have a new/better trap installed. Made all the difference.

And you have my sympathy. When that smell comes from the belly of the beast, it could knock a horse down.

Archived