Chapala.com Webboard

Concubine certificate?

JBHome

A friend sent me a link to the Mexico City government website that says concubinage certificates can now be issued by the main civil registry office (since October 2014?). I can't see anything on the INM website that explains if this is good enough for them for residency visa applications. We wanted to do this a few months back but our attorney told us it was too complicated and time consuming so we abandoned the idea (we don't want to get married). I am wondering if this concubinage certificate will be treated like a marriage certificate for INM to qualify for a visa. If so, we'll definitely do it. Does anyone know anything about this? Link is below. Thanks!

It should work, they just dont issue them in Jalisco, here you need to do a sort of lawsuit and present documents.

Also a requirement is birth certificates, foreign ones would need translations and apostilles and they also ask for proof of residency in Mexico City and that could be an issue if you declare to have been living in Mexico City the past year or two to get the certificate and then show it to immigration and didnt change your address with them.

A sort of common law relationship is called concubinato, depends on state law but usually is 5 years living together with both parties being unmarried or having a child together and being unmarried.

The May 2010 INM law addressed this:
Article 55, Item II
Permanent residency can also be granted to "concubines" (people living together as husband and wife without having a civil ceremony), after 2 years of Mexican bliss (as a part of the 2 years of Temporary Residency). Concubines are the Mexican legal version that is similar to partners in US Common Law marriages.

and yes, the concubinato status is not the same as King James Version biblical concubines.

Translating "concubinato" as concubine is like an embarrassed American girl telling her Mexican boyfriend's mom and tias:
... "Soy muy embarazada..."

and watching the jaws drop.

Archived