Chapala.com Webboard

Car Nationalization

carphil

But it's not really a hassle at all - just not cheap, not matter what method you choose. You can spend 4.5 years here, then have to nationalize.

If you are really afraid of the U.S. Census boogeyman that's up to you. Either don't re-enter the U.S. with your now Mexican, originally U.S. car, or accept the facts that this one of many policies of U.S. government which is structurally and politically unenforceable. There are many, many examples where governments everywhere announce "laws" and "penalties" which are actually disinformation. The U.S. Census Bureau is already a prime example:

http://www.wnd.com/2007/11/44542/

The export laws are only enforceable if the U.S. starts stopping all vehicles leaving the U.S., including temporaries and tourists, and forcing them to file export papers - not going to happen - ever. Mexico would have a political meltdown if the U.S. began to force all vehicles destined to Mexico to spend three days in a border town. The only other way is if Mexican customs worked together with U.S. Census - not going to happen - ever - what is the benefit to Mexico? Then there is the logistics issue - how can they go from exporting 100,000 vehicles to 1,000,000 vehicles per year?

recently got an email from CBP in a response to question about whether retired Americans, using their originally U.S. plated vehicle, strictly for pleasure, were to "export" their vehicles. I wrote in a simple, respectful way. The supervisor wrote a return email -TWO AND A HALF MONTHS later that he apologized for the delay, that they were very busy. He did not answer the question, but pointed out that since he had actually replied, he would would mark this enquiry as RESOLVED. "Mission Accomplished", if I still need an answer two months from now, please enquire again!?!?!? This is your tax dollars at work, folks, do you think the U.S. Census bureau is going to successfully introduce a whole new layer of paperwork? If so, you are better off following the U.F.O. thread!

"... There are many, many examples where governments everywhere announce "laws" and "penalties" which are actually disinformation. ...

... The export laws are only enforceable if the U.S. starts stopping all vehicles leaving the U.S., including temporaries and tourists, and forcing them to file export papers - not going to happen - ever. ..."

Unfortunately, the disinformation continues with some internet posts.

Realities:

- As the Mexican Aduana sends electronic database records of the American passport number, American's name & the American vehicle VINs for every American car that is brought into Mexico and registered with Aduana, the loophole closes.

- As Homeland Security - CBP - checks the Mexican Aduana database records of our American passports and VINs versus the CBP computer records - checking which vehicle's VINs are entered in US govt. records as being imported into Mexico, it will be obvious who properly exported their US vehicle, and equally obvious which Americans did not follow US export law.

- Just as the US IRS checks the earnings reported by employers versus the income amounts we report on our IRS April filings - and easily detect frauds, Homeland Security can simply compare the Aduana import records versus the CBP Export computer records - all neatly logged with our names, VINs and passport numbers.

There is no need to stop anyone at the border to check every vehicle leaving the USA - instead, they just check passport IDs for Americans entering USA - with their names flagged in the Homeland Security databases for not following export laws. Hassles?

These passport ID checks happen before we are allowed onto airplanes or before we are allowed to drive into the USA, without paying the $500 penalty.

Again, let's hope it does not come to this.

Topic is ( was) Canadian vehicles. There are at least 3 other threads dealing with the U.S. CBP issues. Please post there. This thread should stay on course for Canadian importing. We have our own issues. The agent I am dealing with here in Manzanillo told me yesterday after his meeting with customs, that they should be starting up importing in about 2 weeks. His firm has several dozen in the system in PV, Manzanillo and from Guadalajara. The Canadian cars that do not have a title and have only Registration certificates will have an additional step and cost. if you have to return to Canada before you have the Aduana paperwork done, you should arrange a power of attorney ( through a Notario) allowing someone else to take the vehicle through the registration system there after. We are doing that on Monday and I will post after we see the NP.

I called the agency noted below.

Leave car at border for 3 weeks.

You need an IFE (Mexican Citizen)

Stolen Report and exported from US

Expats have no IFE and therefore can not import.

http://www.grupo-mca.com

Sonia,are you saying that expats can't import their vehicles?

Or can they only import through your campesino program,please clarify this.

I think the requirement for an IFE is to be able to show government ID with the persons address on it. I have heard of other importers accepting a Mexican driver license as it is Mexican ID and has the importers address on it.

Sonia,are you saying that expats can't import their vehicles?

Or can they only import through your campesino program,please clarify this.

Waiting for an apology for the times on here and MexConnect you were less than kind.

Have a great weekend

Sonia

I think the requirement for an IFE is to be able to show government ID with the persons address on it. I have heard of other importers accepting a Mexican driver license as it is Mexican ID and has the importers address on it.

Spencer you may be right. I did note when recently you kindly posted the new Aduana requirements for nationalizing it stated one had to be a Mexican national. Part of the post was the following and also the year of vehicle very limiting.

Used cars with a VIN showing they were made or assembled in Mexico, the USA or Canada.

Cars 8 to 9 years old

Cars whose right to be driven are not restricted or prohibited.

The cost of importation is ten percent of the value of the vehicle plus taxes due for entry into the country.

Cars can be imported by Mexicans living in Mexico and abroad.

I suggest people who are interested call a broker at the border. I did so and I was very specific in what I asked. That broker is the one recommended to me by a person very informed and who talks with Aduana weekly. I was told 3 weeks ago by a client at the border he needed a MX driver's license to nationalize and since he had never been in Mexico not possible. Being Mexico anything is possible. I have learned to state my source as I did with the broker here so others can follow up. Also, if leaving your vehicle for 3 weeks is the norm, for most that is a huge concern.

When others get input and experiences based on their personal experience or their direct phone call please post so we all learn.

Sonia

Thanks, Sonia. The one issue with government publicity is that we and others may assume that when they mention Mexicans living here and abroad being able to nationalize, they maybe forgot to put foreigners forgetting that foreigners live here and are not only tourists.

Waiting for an apology for the times on here and MexConnect you were less than kind.

Sonia

Don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Are you still claiming that only Mexican citizens can import vehicles and that they must leave their vehicles at the border for three weeks... or not??

Using scare tactics and giving false information in order to drum up your business is unethical and distasteful,IMO.

Using scare tactics and giving false information in order to drum up your business is unethical and distasteful,IMO.

Uhh - as an outsider looking in, isn't that the exact policy of the U S government, and why many savvy Americans have chosen to relocate to Mexico - permanently.

Archived