Chapala.com Webboard

Non Toxic Bug Control

valbogyo

It is a New Year and my gardener and I agree to try going organic for 3 ;months. This includes protecting my plants and spraying the perimeter of my home with some non toxic replacement for home defence and other pesticides.

I am going to add more of those plugins that flash blue lights on and off, discouraging bugs and critters from hanging around..... any other ideas?

I would like to buy a product to spray, because I am lazy and don't want to have to mix it up..... if possible. Anything to help where I can avoid work..... I am happy to throw pesos at.

An inexpensive, non-toxic way to get rid of cutter ants is one of those Holy Grail quests, like a reliable synthetic human blood for all types. For the brainiacs out there, I think an avenue of discovery lies in formic acid. This is the strong smelling acid that cutter ants lay down to mark their food trails. It is not enough to break the trail, and confuse them, you have to find a way to lay a false trail which leads them one way to their destruction (of your choice). The queen ant will step up production, but the end, and sure defeat, is inevitable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formic_acid

I have had some luck with diatomaceous earth but mostly when poured directly on the ants while they were noshing on a newly planted avocado tree. I sprinkled it liberally on the tree and they all fell off and died. I covered the ground around the tree and they never came back. And 2 years later the tree is doing fine thank you. Pouring it into the nest and along the ant trails seems to help some.

Check with the vendors at the Tuesday Market. They are all mostly organic, and some speak fair English and could give you some hints.

Archived