Chapala.com Webboard

Any Musicians out there interested in starting a band?

Dee Blues

OK, thought I'd try it this way..... I'm an accomplished Blues, Rock, Contemporary, Country, guitarist (and bass player) with over 28 years of playing experience. I have my own pro equipment and transportation. I've been looking for an opportunity to play in a local Ajijic/Chapala band, but so far, no openings or responses to my previous posts (just lots of views - Thank You!).

A little history: We moved here from the Bucerias / La Cruz area (near Puerto Vallarta) about 5 months ago. When we lived there, I was playing with 2 different bands about 2 nights a week. Since our move here, I've participated in various jam band sessions, but it's not exactly the same as being part of a band. I still enjoy going to various jam band night venues here, but from my observations, I believe that there are many other musicians, like myself, that are out there that might be willing to come together to start a new band here (I'm sure there's room for more).

Anyway, just thought I'd see who might be seriously interested in doing this. If you are, please respond and let's see what we have in common.... BTW, I'm 67 years old, but that hasn't slowed me down yet!

Thanks for reading this post....

I started a Bluegrass band many years ago by going to jams, identifying people I might like to play on a more formal basis with, and approaching them about forming a band. It took a while but we ended up with a very enjoyable and reasonably competent group of 4. We played parties, openings and had a regular gig at a place called the Woodside Deli. We also went to BG festivals together.

We broke the ice as a BG group by doing open mikes. There are a number of those here.

I've tried to round up some BG musicians by posting on this and other boards with no luck. There just isn't a BG community here but there are a lot of folks who play music along the lines you described.

In your shoes, that is how I would approach it.

Yes, do go to some gigs and talk to the musicians afterward. Jimmy Barto is a good guy to talk to. Also, a guy named Dryden sends out a weekly email of music events around Lakeside. You can go to some of those gigs, enjoy the music, get a sense of the scene here, and introduce yourself. If you will PM me, I will send info so you can get on the mailing list for the weekly updates.

I started a Bluegrass band many years ago by going to jams, identifying people I might like to play on a more formal basis with, and approaching them about forming a band. It took a while but we ended up with a very enjoyable and reasonably competent group of 4. We played parties, openings and had a regular gig at a place called the Woodside Deli. We also went to BG festivals together.

We broke the ice as a BG group by doing open mikes. There are a number of those here.

I've tried to round up some BG musicians by posting on this and other boards with no luck. There just isn't a BG community here but there are a lot of folks who play music along the lines you described.

In your shoes, that is how I would approach it.

Mainecoons,

Thanks for your response. Mainly, I am trying to see if there are musicians (such as yourself) that want to start a variety band and play multiple genres. Back in the states, I played in a fairly successful variety band 'Euphoria' that was very popular with the masses that attended our gigs. We played everything from Alternative to Zydeco, and most everything in between (including Blue Grass). So far, I haven't heard such a band like this here. Anyway, that's what I'd like to start (if possible). My main love is Blues, but I can handle most anything that anyone wants to hear.

Thank you sir... I will take your advice and keep plugging along.

I used to play some blues harp and some Buffet and Dylan in Atlanta. Got a buddy I met through golf here who is a pretty accomplished guitar player and also playssax, clarinet and flute. My wife is going to sing with Los Cantatas so we might put something together. PM me.

"We played everything from Alternative to Zydeco, and most everything in between (including Blue Grass). So far, I haven't heard such a band like this here. Anyway, that's what I'd like to start (if possible). My main love is Blues, but I can handle most anything that anyone wants to hear."

As a listener, that sounds great to me! I hope you do put something like this together and let us all know about it. Best of luck.

Yes, do go to some gigs and talk to the musicians afterward. Jimmy Barto is a good guy to talk to. Also, a guy named Dryden sends out a weekly email of music events around Lakeside. You can go to some of those gigs, enjoy the music, get a sense of the scene here, and introduce yourself. If you will PM me, I will send info so you can get on the mailing list for the weekly updates.

Thank you for your response JayBearII... I know Frances Drayden and have performed with him at El Bar Co and La Bodega. I do get his weekly emails that let me know what's happening on the music scene in the Chapala/Ajijic area. I've played at some of the jam band sessions at El Bar Co and usually play with Sergio Casas at La Bodega on Wednesday nights. I'm interested in starting a variety band to provide a wide range of genres to the folks here. Before coming to Mexico, I was the lead guitar in a fairly successful variety band called 'Euphoria' in South Carolina. I do not know Jimmy Barto, but if you have his contact info, would you please send it to me. Thanks again for your advice and information...

I have the occasional dream about getting back into a band. I was a working musician for a number of years when I was younger. Just a few roadblocks. One, I'm a drummer, but I have no kit, and can't afford one. Two, I have no transportation, so getting the non-existent kit around would be difficult. Three, I haven't played in about 25 years. Finally, my depression over the years has progressed to the point that I have a really difficult time doing things on a schedule. But hey, other than that...

Dee Blues, sadly I have little talent or experience with music other than BG or folk.

I really think that if you take the initiative and go out and find and recruit a band, you will have little trouble doing so. There is a ton of talent running loose in this town.

Hi, If you are from Bucerias you may have seen a band called Bubba and the Bottom Feeders. I used to see them in Bucerias. Anyway I sent you a PM. I would like to try out as rhythm guitar.

I'm kind of amazed that you've been in touch with all these musicians but haven't found what you're looking for. I mean, these guys know all the guys around town who play. Unless no one wants to do the musical styles you want to do?

I'm kind of amazed that you've been in touch with all these musicians but haven't found what you're looking for. I mean, these guys know all the guys around town who play. Unless no one wants to do the musical styles you want to do?

ComputerGuy,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have been in touch with many musicians here that are either currently playing in a band, or interested to start a band (but are only here for 4 to 6 months) or would like to, but can't for various other reasons such as availability, timing, etc. Additionally, finding drummers or bass players (that are not currently playing in a group) has also been a challenge and are difficult to find, or willing to play due to availability. Now that I am permanently here in the Ajijic and Chapala area, I can devote more of an effort into forming a group. The music that I am wanting to provide is a variety of songs from alternative, rock, blues, country, etc. - including Latin American genre as well.

Thanks for your response and concern. I truly hope that these efforts will come to fruition sometime in the near future.

• 10 months later...

Way late to the thread, and I'm not terribly interested in gigging anymore but I would be very interested in a small, regular acoustic jam session! I would even consider hosting once in a while! Preferred styles are folk, Americana, classic rock and blues but I can follow just about anything! BTW, ignore the profile pic. I mess around on piano but remain a steadfast picker!

Archived