Chapala.com Webboard

Immigration qualifying amounts for 2015

Intercasa

I came in directly as Temporal, hubby as Permanente.

This fall will only be my 2nd renewal and I'm borderline on the financial requirements.

I will have to call Spencer to see how we can arrange for me to get my Permanente and stop this renewals bit.

Did you obtain your TR visa under family based on being married to an expat? If so as Spencer noted only 2 years. First application for a woman under family / marriage to a visa holder sometimes is not as easy as name on marriage license must totally match name on her passport. For men it is easier and men seldom change name. Example Susan A Smith is not same as Susan Ann Smith and for women changes are often even more different on each document.

I have seen very recently a woman who is an expat trying to obtain first visa based on marriage to a PR expat and could not be done for reason I noted. She will apply at a MX consulate for her visa pre-approval.

I intentionally refer to expat married to an expat vs an expat being married to a Mexican national.

Buen Fin

Sonia

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sonia for name variations here in Jalisco they accept an affidavit of facts explaining the name differences whether it is the use of a middle initial, elimination of use of middle name or variation between married name and maiden name. The affidavit is notarized by the US Consulate, works for immigration as well as naturalization with SRE.

Sonia for name variations here in Jalisco they accept an affidavit of facts explaining the name differences whether it is the use of a middle initial, elimination of use of middle name or variation between married name and maiden name. The affidavit is notarized by the US Consulate, works for immigration as well as naturalization with SRE.

Good to know Spencer. Here that would not work as I tried it with a notarized letter from Ed Clancy who is the consulate rep. in SMA.

Spenser. Same in the INM office in the city of San Luis Potosí. I went from a 2 year RT to a RP in Dec. and had my second middle name dropped from my legal name by US Immigration decades ago and used only my one middle name. The INM there approved me for a 2 year RT with one middle name in Dec. 2012. However the Licenciada here when processing my RP application sent me a letter via E-Mail requesting a notorized letter from a US Consulate inside Mexico explaining why my US passport has one middle name and my Mexican marriage license and birth certificate has two middle names. I went to the US Consulate in Guadalajara and they knew all about this and wrote a notorized letter stating I presented myself to them with my US passport and my Canadian birth certificate and Mexican marrigae license which they took copies of and attached to their letter and had me write a letter declaring I am the same person and their letter stated this and that I also am known as [AKA] as Alan ---, ----, -----. 2 middle names and did present myself to them and they verified I was indeed the same person. Cost $710 pesos cash. It took all day as I had no appointment and had to bring my letter back at 2 PM. The Licenciada gave me 10 working days to get it to her or I would have to start over her letter stated. She was given it to read when I went back right away by the INM clerk and said it was what she wanted. 2 days latter I callled and they said come in to get fingerprinted and paid and 3 days latter I got the visa/card.

Did you obtain your TR visa under family based on being married to an expat? If so as Spencer noted only 2 years. First application for a woman under family / marriage to a visa holder sometimes is not as easy as name on marriage license must totally match name on her passport. For men it is easier and men seldom change name. Example Susan A Smith is not same as Susan Ann Smith and for women changes are often even more different on each document.

I have seen very recently a woman who is an expat trying to obtain first visa based on marriage to a PR expat and could not be done for reason I noted. She will apply at a MX consulate for her visa pre-approval.

I intentionally refer to expat married to an expat vs an expat being married to a Mexican national.

Buen Fin

Sonia

I am married to an expat and my name on marriage certificate and passport match exactly.

Spencer... One question for you...

If an expat owns a house in Mexico, does this help reduce the amount required to obtain Permanent Resident status ?

Houses have nothing to do with permanent residence, only temporary.

It is problematic for temporary as many times they are reluctant to use deeds as many times the real value wasnt placed on them so not enough to qualify or purchase was years ago and current value is unknown.

However, if you purchased recently and your home is worth more than the limit ($2,800,000 pesos) then yes should work.

Clients have been able to use their home ownership in Mexico at both Laredo and San Antonio to help in pre-approval of TR and PR visas. In one case two women with a common-law marriage were preapproved as PR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spencer,

I've been reading post in this forum for quite some time and have found the information to be extremely informative. I finally joined today and posted a new topic asking for any assistance in planning my move Lakeside. I am planning to visit the consulate office in san Bernardino within the next two weeks. I've filled out the Formato Basico and have over twelve months of bank statement, IRA statements, and 401k statements. I currently do not collect SS or my defined benefit pension which I do not plan on collecting until I am ready to move since I am self employed consultant doing contractual work which brings in sufficient revenue. That being said, I cannot provide "salary" or regular income data at the consulate but by cash accounts as mentioned above have averaged in excess of USD 500k which I assume would approve a Temporal or Permanente visa. Am I correct in that assumption?

In addition to the aforementioned, I've taken copies of my passport, I have my Birth Certificate if necessary, and two photos, front and right without my glasses. Am I forgetting anything? Any other advice in establishing my move? I certainly would like to utilize your services once I am Lakeside since this is going to be a big move for myself and my Spanish is almost non-existent even though my partner is Mexican born and bred!

I appreciate any help with my relocation.

Gracias!

Sounds like you should have no problem as you meet the asset amounts for permanent although each consulate has their quirks.

Archived