Chapala.com Webboard

Immigration qualifying amounts for 2015

Intercasa

Started my Temp to Perm today in Melaque and all they want is my Temp card, a copy of my passport and money. Too easy! Only went to ask what I need so didn't have passport and will complete tomorrow

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started my Temp to Perm today in Melaque and all they want is my Temp card, a copy of my passport and money. Too easy! Only went to ask what I need so didn't have passport and will complete tomorrow

A facilitator quoted me his fee of $3000. Did you have any paperwork to fill out or just turn in your Temporary and copy of passport?

There's only 2 people in the one room INM office in Melaque. We're not allowed to go to Manzanillo INM any longer so they opened an office here. I asked and she said that Passport and Temporal was all I need. No financials, no request letter, nothing to do on the Internet, no proof of where I live .... and she speaks better English than I do. I assume fotos and finger print on some visit. I take in the copy of Passport tomorrow.

She filled out an application form that I took to the bank and paid the 1145 pesos +/-

• 1 month later...

I am very confused by the investment qualification as an alternative to the $1500. of income needed for temporary visa. What does investment actually mean. Do I have to have it in a savings account or can it be in an IRA account where I more than meet that requirement. Or is my option to transfer money over into a savings with that amount. Thanks for your help.

Anne

Annabell1952--If you're trying to qualify based on assets instead of income, all you need to show is 12 months of statements from some financial institution. I got my temporal just a few days before the new (lower) standards became official, and I showed the consulate in Laredo statements from a mutual fund showing I had sufficient $$$. And since the mutual fund only ever sends me electronic statements, I printed out statements using the mutual fund's online widget and that was fine with the consulate.

If you have enough money in one pot you don't have to transfer any money. If you need to combine accounts to meet the minimum, I think all you have to do is to provide statements from each of the accounts.

that is the best news ever. Not quite ready to make the move yet. Live in Ecuador right now and have my cedula but more interested in being someplace with more expats. Cotacachi is great for cost of living. But need change. So if I have in a IRA account more than $25,000 then that will work. My social security I don't make enough to meet the $1500. level. I am sure that they could send me a 12 month statement when needed. Thanks so much. Now what is the cost of the visa say if I get the 3 year or 4 year. So I just go to consulate nearest in the states to my home town. Do I need to go in or can it all be done by sending info to them.

After five years as a temporary resident, I recently renewed as a permanent resident at the Chapala INM office. The only documentation required was my passport. I used an immigration lawyer to handle the details and only had to appear at the office two times, once to get fingerprinted and once to pick up the card. The fee to the government was about 5500 pesos and the lawyer's fee was 2000 pesos. It took three months to complete the process, including a delay due to the Christmas holiday.

After you have been in Mexico for 4 years on temporary visa you can get permanent and you don't have to have the high income then. I went thru all the paperwork with Ecuador for about $1200.00 so many things being aposilled and notorized. Do I need to get everything redone for Mexico I suppose I cannot use the paperwork I already did for here. Except criminal record of course.

So if I have in a IRA account more than $25,000 then that will work. My social security I don't make enough to meet the $1500. level.

If I'm not mistaken you need to have quite a bit more than $25,000 in your account to qualify if your SS or pension doesn't meet the income requirement.

Then why does it say as an alternative to the $1500. you can have the money in a savings account or investment account of $25,000. Then what does the $25,000 really mean. I almost have twice that. Other places they say they can combine that. And In Las Vegas the requirements are only $1000 for temporary residence.

Cbviajero - Last fall the Gob. lowered the asset requirements for Temporales from 100+K to 25K.

I didn't know that,thanks for the update.

All the talk on forums is about how the Mexican government is making it more difficult for retirees to move here,in this case it's the exact opposite.

Visa Income Requirements

Temporary Resident

Balances in bank ~$25,000 US with 12 months of individual bank statements,

-or-

Monthly income $1,500 US with 6 months of individual bank statements

Note: Foreign pated car is allowed but be sure to renew car permit when renewing visa.

Permanent Resident:

Balances in bank of ~$100,000 US with 12 months of individual bank statements

-or-

Monthly income of $2500 US with 6 months of individual bank statements

Note: no foreign plated car is allowed as a Permanent Resident

Consulate application form to start visa process needs to be printed, completed and taken with you. This form says Laredo but applies at any Mexican consulate.

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/laredo/images/stories/docs/visas/solvisaing1.pdf

Plus passport sized photos. I believe at Laredo they now take the photos.

Laredo
1612 Farragut St - Laredo, TX 78040
Tel: (956) 723-0990 * Fax: (956) 723-1741
E-mail: consul@srelaredo.org

Allow approximately 2 hours. They open at 8 and sometimes a few minutes earlier and they close at 1:00 pm. They do open later but they will not process visa applications in the afternoon.

Once completed and your pre-approved visa is stamped in your passport you enter Mexico. Go to the INM office at Nuevo Laredo and present your passport with your pre-approved visa. Please have your passport stamped and obtain a FMM. Check the box "CANJE". Do not check the box that says "TOURIST". You have 30 days to make your application at your local INM and I will assist with this process.

Note: consulates vary and are independent from Immigration. Some will welcome you with open arms such as Laredo and the notes above refer to Laredo MX Consulate and others will take days, more than one visit and thoroughly review your financials.

saludos

Sonia

I am presently living In Ecuador. I notice there is a Mexican consulate here. Can I go to that one or do I have to go to one in states. I only go home once a year and it is so much more complex going back home with having to have appointment and possibly having to come back. I would already be back in Ecuador since I only go home for two weeks tops. The one I would have to go to is 3 hours from my home there and I have no car at this point.

Annabel the law says you must go to a MX consulate in a country in which you live legally. Also, MX consulates in the US allow anyone including those from other countries to apply. Bottom line, I would not hesitate to apply in Ecuador.

saludos

Sonia

As Sonia advises: Annabel should check with the Mexican consulate or embassy in Ecuador (since Annabel is in Ecuador legally). Various Mexican consulates and embassies around the world have been accepting and approving Mexican residency visa applications from US and Canadian citizens, including Mexican consulates in Denmark, Belize, South Korea and Thailand.

thanks so much for your help. How much in advance can I apply. So do I just need application and paperwork showing that I have at least $25,000 in my IRA account to show to them. I suppose a Spanish translator would help. I am planning on the move on Jnauary 1st to San Antonio. Spencer mentioned to me that I don't need birth certificate or divorce degree. That was done over 20 years ago. I did all that for Ecuador and do have my

resident visa here and cedula.

I was reading something in the forums on Lake Chapala site with immigration. It sounded like could only get the visa at consulate 30 days before I travel to GDL. I thought maybe I had 3 months or so. I want to make sure I get it in plenty of time in case I would have to return to Mexican consulate. It also said something about $1600. or 99,000 usd money in account. Every place else it says $25,000. I already have an apartment lined up for when I come. Confused.

You have 6 months to enter Mexico once pre-approved. Once you enter Mexico you have 30 days to apply at Immigration. For temporary resident ~$1500 of income showing 6 months of statements or ~$25000 of investments and showing this with 12 months of statements. The 25K was a change late last year from 100K.

Sonia

Ok thanks so much I guess they should update it because it might have been from 2012. That is quite a change then. Otherwise it would be hard for any one to come in even as temporary unless they sold a house before they came. Feel a lot better now about that and length of time I have between Mexican consulate and going to Mexico. Thanks Sonia for being so helpful.

I just realized the consulate is not in Quito, Ecuador like I thought. The Mexican Embassy is there. Can I go there for temporary visa. The other place is about 5 to 6 hours away. So what can I do. Can paperwork be sent to them or is that way to confusing. Or is it best to come to Mexico on tourist then go to Laredo or whever to get it done there. So confused at this point. with cats I am transporting thru airline do I have to go with paperwork there also besides USDA

I just realized the consulate is not in Quito, Ecuador like I thought. The Mexican Embassy is there. Can I go there for temporary visa. The other place is about 5 to 6 hours away. So what can I do. Can paperwork be sent to them or is that way to confusing. Or is it best to come to Mexico on tourist then go to Laredo or whever to get it done there. So confused at this point. with cats I am transporting thru airline do I have to go with paperwork there also besides USDA

Yes, you can go to the Mexican Embassy in Quito.

Archived