Chapala.com Webboard

Immigration qualifying amounts for 2015

Intercasa

http://www.chapalalaw.com/immigration-2/

The Mexican government published changes to the immigration regulations in October, 2014 which lower the financial requirements in order to apply for temporary and permanent visas at Mexican consulates outside Mexico. They still have not changed the rules for applying within Mexico. This will affect people who renew late and need to do a regularization (residente temporal) as well as people who want to change from temporary to permanent before completing four years residency.

VISA REQUIREMENTS AT MEXICAN CONSULATES OUTSIDE MEXICO:

To qualify for the temporary visa they must show a monthly income of 300 times the minimum wage (for 2015 it is 70.10 pesos) or 21,030 pesos or $1,430 US dollars using an exchange rate of 14.7 to 1 (using December 29, 2014 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 5,000 times the minimum wage (for 2015 it is 70.10 pesos) or 350,500 pesos or $23,843 US dollars using an exchange rate of 14.7 to 1 (using December 29, 2014 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

To qualify for the permanent visa they must show a monthly income of 500 times the minimum wage (for 2015 it is 70.10 pesos) or 35,050 pesos or $2,384 US dollars using an exchange rate of 14.7 to 1 (using December 29, 2014 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 20,000 times the minimum wage (for 2015 it is 70.10 pesos) or 1,402,000 pesos or $95,374 US dollars using an exchange rate of 14.7 to 1 (using December 29, 2014 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

You can apply for visas for your spouse (gay couples included) and children at the consulate at the same time or we can do it when you are here in Mexico once the primary applicant has their visa. Remember that in order to do this we will need birth / marriage certificates and apostilles (legalized copies for those from Canada or non Hague Convention countries).

Please be advised that the consulates might have their own special rules. Processing time varies from a few hours to a few days on average. We can consult with you prior to your trip to the consulate and then prepare you for finishing the process here in Mexico as well as advise you how to properly fill out the FMM form upon arrival so that there will be no processing delays. Clients have reported that the consulates in Laredo, Texas and Las Vegas, Nevada are some of the easier ones to deal with as Las Vegas only requires US$1,000 per month to get temporary. While the law says you must give 6 or 12 months bank statements, many consulates only ask for 3 to 6 months.

DIFFERENT RULES FOR VISAS APPLIED FOR IN COUNTRY AT THE NATIONAL IMMIGRATION INSTITUTE (INAMI)

To qualify for the temporary visa they must show a monthly income of 400 times the minimum wage (for 2015 it is 70.10 pesos) or 28,040 pesos or $1,907 US dollars using an exchange rate of 14.7 to 1 (using December 29, 2014 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 20,000 times the minimum wage (for 2015 it is 70.10 pesos) or 1,402,000 pesos or $95,374 US dollars using an exchange rate of 14.7 to 1 (using December 29, 2014 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

To qualify for the permanent visa they must show a monthly income of 500 times the minimum wage (for 2015 it is 70.10 pesos) or 35,050 pesos or $2,384 US dollars using an exchange rate of 14.7 to 1 (using December 29, 2014 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 25,000 times the minimum wage (for 2015 it is 70.10 pesos) or 1,752,000 pesos or $119,217 US dollars using an exchange rate of 14.7 to 1 (using December 29, 2014 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends if they saved their money or not, do they have an account with $24,000US or more? Not everybody gets less than 1,000US on SS, some get more, up to , and then you have the Vegas consulate who only wants people to show $1,000. Some people actually can qualify for permanent with SS.

Logic is maybe they forgot to update the other law for within the country.

I was not aware it's possible a to apply for permanente from within Mexico , as opposed to having to travel from Ajijic to a US consulate (Laredo etc) & apply from outside the country. For,years I've just used a tourist visa since I return to the US to visit family twice a year.

Is the INAMI office in Mexico City? Has anyone had experience doing this?

You can only apply from within Mexico if you have Mexican children or parents or already have a temporary visa.

Harry B: Spencer is correct: The maximum possible monthly SSA retirement benefit for someone retiring at age 70 in 2014 is $3,425.00. For someone retiring in 2014 at age 66, the maximum possible monthly SSA retirement benefit is $2,642.00. Even if someone retired at 62 in 2014, the maximum possible monthly SSA benefit would be 1992.00. The maximum presumes of course a robust working income. The best part, in my worldview, is having to show only the SSA income to qualify and avoiding disclosure of other assets and income.

Hi Spencer

I am a permanent resident. I would like my father to become a permanent resident in 2015.

He has been a temporary resident since 2012.

What are the income requirements?

To answer your exact question for your father based on income they are the higher incomes as Spencer noted after the words: DIFFERENT RULES FOR VISAS APPLIED FOR IN COUNTRY AT THE NATIONAL IMMIGRATION INSTITUTE (INAMI).

HANSI depends if you are Mexican or not, if your dad already has a temporary document, how many years has he lived in Mexico?

Changing from temp to perm before completing 4 years on temp requires financials. Remember renewing late starts you over again.

RULES FOR VISAS APPLIED FOR IN COUNTRY AT THE NATIONAL IMMIGRATION INSTITUTE (INAMI)

To qualify for the permanent visa they must show a monthly income of 500 times the minimum wage (for 2015 it is 70.10 pesos) or 35,050 pesos or $2,384 US dollars using an exchange rate of 14.7 to 1 (using December 29, 2014 exchange rate). This must be documented with 6 months bank statements.

OR

People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 25,000 times the minimum wage (for 2015 it is 70.10 pesos) or 1,752,000 pesos or $119,217 US dollars using an exchange rate of 14.7 to 1 (using December 29, 2014 exchange rate). This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

Sounds like Mexico doesn't want many expats coming to the country. The rates for visas are getting pretty steep and with the increases in taxes, gas, corn, auto import problems, etc., it looks like it is getting expensive to live in Mexico. I read where the nationals blocked the Guadalajara Airport road not long ago because of the cost of corn. Wonder what is next......

This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

For those who do their banking online and don't receive monthly statements is a printout of 12 months showing the average balance accepted?

I read where the nationals blocked the Guadalajara Airport road not long ago because of the cost of corn.Wonder what is next...

Yeah,for about 3 hours,corn farmers asking for subsidies,happens every year, and it's not the "Guadalajara Airport road"...deleted..

For those who do their banking online and don't receive monthly statements is a printout of 12 months showing the average balance accepted?

They accepted my printouts, but that was 2013, aka ancient history. If it's a non-Mexican account, I think I remember that they had to be "translated" into pesos. Can't remember for sure.

Man I'm glad I'm done (for the most part) with INM and the imported car thing.

They accept internet printouts and require translations and require us translators to convert to pesos.

They accepted my printouts, but that was 2013, aka ancient history. If it's a non-Mexican account, I think I remember that they had to be "translated" into pesos. Can't remember for sure.

Man I'm glad I'm done (for the most part) with INM and the imported car thing.

They accept internet printouts and require translations and require us translators to convert to pesos.

Thanks for your replies.

Archived