Chapala.com Webboard

Who can drive my car if I'm not in it?

gschultz

The answer must be here somewhere, but I can't find it.

I am a temporary resident and have gotten conflicting opinions about who is authorized to drive my car if I am not in it. As I understand it, from an attorney when I first arrived, only an immediate relative can drive it. The wording on the back of the permit is ambiguous, though.

Does the phrase "as long as the individual who imported the vehicle or one of the authorized individuals is traveling on board at all times" apply to "tourists with a visitor status, temporary residents"?

It includes other expats with INM status similar to yours. Written permission is a good idea if you are not with them.

Mexican nationals or expats with residente permanente are not permitted unless they are immediate family members and can prove it.

There are two issues here, one is what your insurance will cover which you should check but most policies cover people that have your permission to drive.

The other issue is the aduana law and that states that if you are not in the car then only your spouse, brothers / sisters, parents and children may drive the car OR any foreigner who is able to import such as tourists or temporary residents. This assumes that the car is legally in the country and you as the importer are legally able to drive it.

" but most policies cover people that have your permission to drive."

On two occasions this year, two different insurance companies, when asked if I could drive a friend's car, said "no, and you can't even get a rider to allow that'. This was Mexican insurance for foreign plated (US) cars. Just saying that that is my recent experience.

So I agree with Spencer..... better call them and ask if your particular policy will cover anyone else. Some do, some don't.

I would look at the policies as all of the ones I have read have verbiage such as Qualitas, so am not sure what company said no as it sounds strange unless they are making new changes.

Our Mexican policy...on our Mexican plated car...says that the insurance covers the car and therefore any legal licensed driver will be covered

Our policy states the same thing. Mexican vehicle and any legally licensed driver with our permission is supposed to be covered the way I understand it. Any Mexican I have mentioned this to agrees. The vehicle is insured not the driver here.

Archived