Chapala.com Webboard

Where to purchase new CPU

kbiohio

I telecommute for a U.S. company. My current desktop computer is on its last leg. I just need to replace the tower/cpu (I connect it to three Acer monitors).

I went to Guadalajara yesterday to see what options exist. We went to OfficeMax, Office Depot and Best Buy. They only sell the monitors with the built in cpu (the whole sha-bang).

I know we can go to Plaza de la Tecnologia, but I was hoping there was another options (the place is always so crowded and loud).

Thank you in advance for any thoughtful advice.

KBIOhio

I don't understand what you are trying to do. A computer motherboard is matched to a CPU, you can sometimes upgrade to a faster version of the chip - but usually you have to buy a new motherboard. You can usually keep the case and power supply, and most often the memory. If you are having processing problems, especially on graphics, running three monitors, it sounds like you have to expand the memory or upgrade the graphics card. If you want a major speed and reliability boost, without spending any money - dump the Windows and run Linux Mint.

I know that the local computer tech, Adrian, http://www.axixicnet.com/ goes to Guadalajara once or twice per week, buys and then installs, all for a small fee. I know one of his suppliers is www.mipc.com.

The Apple Store Online? It will run anything you want including Windows with a lot less hassle. (I know! I know! It's very likely to be a fruitless effort. But its worth a try. I remember how resistant I was to make the change. It ain't easy!)

"We have met the enemy and he is us."

Archived