Chapala.com Webboard

English Sheepdog - neglect?

I am writing to see if anyone is aware of the English Sheepdog which appears to be living on the balcony of the white lakeside building that used to house Yves restaurant (2 doors away from Maria Isabel, at the foot of the malecon.) I have seen this dog twice in last week. He is essentially living behind a locked gate, in his own feces (floor of the place is covered in dog feces) and I did not see any sign of water or food bowl. He approached the railing as I walked by and seemed fairly alert but certainly not displaying watchdog behavior. I don't know anything about him or the building which is for sale by owner and I don't want to stick my nose in where it is not wanted...however, if this dog has been left there with no basic care, I would like a dog rescue organization to intervene. I am only here for a few more days.

Advice/Comments?

I've seen him too - it's a sad situation and he needs help - I hope it can be provided.

LIkewise have seen him over a period of weeks. Same sanitation issue, but the dog seems active enough that somebody must be feeding him. I don't know if there is an "authority" that can legally intervene. I think the owner lives on the property.

Whatever the situation, it's a wicked way to treat an animal.

REPORT LAKESIDE ANIMAL ABUSE

I picked this information up from the animal shelter. There is now an official/legal system in place for reporting animal abuse. Here is the contact information. It is through the Chapala Ecology Station, which is a member of the Organization of Biological Field Stations:

Ecology Station

E-mail: municipal1215@hotmail.com

Tel: (376) 765-8025

Ecology Station Animal Rights Lawyer:

Mayra Oriz Tejeda

maveconsultores@yahoo.com

Animal Rescue:

Amalia Garcia

garciao@mx1.ibm.com

Program Coordinator:

Laura Davalos-Lind

laura_davalos-lind@baylor.edu

Guadalajara Presidencia Municipal:

Ramiro Hernandez Garcia

Av. Hidalgo #400, Col. Centro // Tel: 333-837-4400, ext. 4702 or 4774

Email: ramirohernandez@guadalajara.gob.mx

Just a follow up for those who read my first post:

I visited the English Sheepdog on the water front again. He has water and food. Still not a happy situation in terms of his environment but he is getting the minimal basics. I am leaving town to head home again - He is really a lovely, gentle dog. If you happen to pass by, please give him a little love.

Happy New Year to all the animal lovers in Ajijic. May your "fur friends" live long and healthy lives.

Archived