Chapala.com Webboard

Beware of prices at Toms Bar in Ajijic

jle

Yesterday my boyfriend and I stopped in Tom's bar in Ajijic. I have not been there for a long time mainly because it is a sol bar and my beer of choice is Victoria which they do not sell, Well, we stopped by at approx 1:30 pm and of course we were the only patrons there. We each had 2 Centenairo Reposaso tequilas which would equal 4 tequilas total. When I got my bill the total was $360 pesos. What the hell, That is 90 pesos per tequila. Now let me tell you, these were a straight shot. not a shot and a little bit added on top of that. When I questioned the gringa bartender about the price, she said pretty much it is what it is set by Tom. I kinda have a bit of a hard time.believing that, but you never know,

Nowl, I would love to hear from Tom on this. Is he charging 90 pesos per tequila which is about 50 to 60 pesos over any other bar here. Or was the Gringa bartender just ripping us off? Or did she make a mistake which she would not account for? One thing for sure. I have not been in that bar for a year or so, and I will never return in the future.

Make sure you ask your bartender at Toms bar exactly what the price of your drink is before you get it.

Tom and his family are NOB, however it IS Toms bar and Tom DOES set the prices. The gringa referenced is a girl named Chelsea and has worked at Toms for 3 years. I just spoke with her and yes it was an honest mistake, the customer was VERY agitated and stomped out before the bartender realized what had happened. Once she figured it out she attempted to catch the lady and her beach bum boyfriend but they were gone. The overcharge was placed in an envelope and is still waiting for them to come in and get it. Its a shame the poster chose to slam the gringa publicly instead of speaking with her privately and resolving the issue in an adult manner. Accusing someone of theft is a pretty serious charge, and hopefully the OP has the sense to rethink her accusation as there were in fact others in the bar at the time who witnessed it all.

Interesting. Handling customer complaints can be a key part of whether restaurants and other customer-service businesses do well, or struggle.

Is it good customer service to not apologize for an error the restaurant says they made?

Is it good customer service to shift blame to the customer for becoming frustrated because their requests for being reimbursed for overcharges were incorrectly denied?

Is it good customer service to shift blame onto the customer because they walked away from a frustrating situation, and then to publicly criticize the customer for describing the facts of the unresolved problem?

I like giving a business a second chance, but it can help to keep the focus on who made the error, and who refused to correct the error.

Hope it all works out OK, and maybe Tom will offer a free round next time?

Of course not snowyco. The customer gave the employee no opportunity to do any of the things you mention, instead she came here on Christmas day and blasted the bartender.on a public forum. Again, there was no refusal of error correction, there was no refusal of an apology, there simply was no discussion between the two parties as the customer stomped out.

My guess is the customer won't return and the bartender wont mind.

Well, Blondiegal, Why when I questioned the bartender on the price, why did she not re check the bill and correct her mistake then and there? Why did she ask me what other bars were charging for the same tequila? I did not give her name on this board, you did. And my boyfriend is not a "Beach Bum" He is born and raised in this town and yes, he has many friends in this town and yes, a lot of them do hang out down on the lake. Does that make him a Bum? Now you are the one getting personal and nasty.

I personally have not been into Tom's Bar for a few years because there never is anyone there. My girlfriend and I use to have a joke when we would drive by we would say we would stop in and have a drink if there are more than 2 people in the bar, Well, needless to say, we never stopped.

The bartender can keep the money, that is not the issue. I expect a bartender would have the skills to add up a bill correctly.

Not to reopen this thread but to add a note some may find interesting:

It is reported on TOB by a reliable source that Tom has returned to the U.S. permanently, Florida, and the bar is being kept open by friends and is for sale and can probably be bought at an attractive price.

This might explain some things.

Archived