Chapala.com Webboard

Heirloom Seeds

Zeb

Whatcha looking for? Veggies, perennials, annuals??? When last I heard, there was one seed nursery in England that shipped to Mexico. Must consult memory bank for the name. I don't know the current status of seed imports. Maybe there are people willing to share seeds from their plants?

• 9 months later...

camillenparadise, do you know if Territorial seeds are heirloom? Their website does not say so anywhere.

Has anyone ever seen a heirloom tomato grown locally??

I have about 75 heirloom tomato varieties and grow them. The problem with heirlooms is that they are hard to grow anywhere. They are subject to more diseases and do not produce as much fruit as newer hybrids. I do have tomato rootstock to graft heirlooms onto or any tomato can be grafted to it, but I am not that handy with grafting. Tomatos grafted to rootstock do grow better and produce more fruit.

Heirloom would be nice, but I'd even like to find a reliable local source for viable contemporary seed; don't know how many packets I've bought of various things that never sprouted a single plant. Even simple things like dill... Anyone?

First, soak your seeds in water with a splash of peroxide for 24 hours. That will improve germination.

Some people think that seeds mailed to Mexico are x-rayed and x-ray will kill the germ in the seed. I don't think they are x-rayed but that the seeds are old or not stored properly.

This Mexican site has seeds that are extremely reasonable and look like excellent seeds.

http://www.hydroenv.com.mx/catalogo/

One of the biggest seed companies in the U.S. knows for certain that Mexico Xrays everything - that's why he will not ship to Mexico and a bunch of other countries. In order to maintain his U.S. seed producer license, he has to certify and label germination rates, following a very exact testing criteria. It is typically 82 - 85%. It will cost $6.50 for any international shipping company to clear Mexican Customs - not one of these companies is able to provide a no Xray service. You would have to hire an independent U.S. customs broker to do that, who would then get a Mexican shipper to pick it up on the Mexican side.

Can you not buy seeds locally? I understand that not everything is available, but can the basics be purchased in Chapala?

Most of the feed stores have seeds.

Laura has a good selection. She is to the East of 7-11in Riberas, The Garden Center store.

Heirloom would be nice, but I'd even like to find a reliable local source for viable contemporary seed; don't know how many packets I've bought of various things that never sprouted a single plant. Even simple things like dill... Anyone?

Laura at the Garden Center in Riberas has dill seeds.

Join this group to share seeds and growing info.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1489823371240855/

Most of the hardware stores, ferreterías, have vegetable and flower seeds. I`ve been buying and planting these for years here with no problem. I don`t think they`re heirloom seeds. I`ve found that the ferrreterias in San Antonio (like the one near Superlake) and Ajijic (the ones near Pemex) are better for seeds than the ones in Chapala.

My Manalucies are still hanging in there - but they were started late and are not in a great location. This is a tomato developed for growing in Florida in the 1950's. Can withstand temperature into the 90's. It should do very well here and has that juicy "beefsteak" texture which everybody enjoys.

http://www.totallytomato.com/dp.asp?pID=00442&c=40&p=Manalucie+Tomato

Archived