Chapala.com Webboard

Bypass around Guadalajara

Newfhugger

I need to drive to Laredo in the next few weeks and know there is a bypass you pick up near the airport that allows you to avoid the city traffic. I think it hooks back in near Zapotlanejo. I can pull this up on Mapquest but when I pull the route out of Guad to the road I think I need, it adds a bunch of hooks and things that make no sense.

Can someone provide detailed instructions for this bypass to me?

THE GUADALAJARA BYPASS

This saves time and money. Immediately past the airport exit, exit RIGHT onto a road with a large overhead sign for Zapotlanejo. Go 6.8 miles, you'll see another large overhead sign telling you to exit right at the next exit for Zapotlanejo, which is about a quarter mile past the sign. Go to the end of the long ramp, turn right, you will come out on Libre 80 pointed towards Zapotlanejo.

If you look on Google maps, you see that Libre 80 parallels the Cuota 80 all the way to Zapotlanejo. I would estimate the part you will use at about 15 miles. All 4 lane and mostly fast. This bypass saves about 20 minutes and one toll.

(NOTE: However, if you continue on the Periferico it will come to the cuota towards Lagos and you can get on there at the cost of one more toll. I haven't done this yet as the ramps were just opened up a couple months ago. If you chose this option, ignore the rest of the GDL bypass information immediately below)

At the end, you will pass through two small built up areas and then drive under two bridges. STAY LEFT UNDER THE BRIDGES. Just past the second bridge, there is a left hand ramp (small) signed to Guadalajara and Lagos de Moreno. In front of you a little ways is the entry gate to Zapotlanejo. If you miss the turn, no problem, go a block further to the light, make a U turn and simply take the right hand exit onto the road before the bridges.

Mainecoons, you no longer need to take the 80 libre over to 90 to get on the cuota to Lagos de Moreno. There is an on ramp from the Periferico to 80D east.

I'm aware of that, hence I pointed it out in the "Note" part. You will pay an additional cuota if you use this option. I haven't timed it both ways to determine the difference in time.

If anyone has used the new Periferico entrance from the cuota, please share with us how it is signed going in both directions and confirm that you will pay the additional cuota. Thanks.

Well, last time I went that way was on October 15th. The signage heading north along the Periferico was clear in my opinion - directing driver's straight ahead instead of onto 80 libre east. I was hesitant at first since I was hauling a large trailer but went for it. Then at the 80D there was a new off ramp directing driver's onto 80D east to Lagos de Moreno. Both my co-driver and I remarked at how nice this was.

Yes, you do have to pay the La Joya toll (the 3rd one of which you speak for the piece of cuota between Tlaquepaque and Zapotlenejo) but in our case, it was better due to the size of the rig I was driving.

On that trip I also discovered another new toll road, a bypass that has been just opened between San Juan de los Lagos and 45D south of Aguascalientes. To take it, as you come off the end of 80D heading east you take the 80 libre towards Lagos de Moreno at that crazy tangle of roads (exits and ramps). About 1/2 km. keep to your right and exit off of 80 libre onto the new toll road. It is signed but I forget the Hwy# of the new road. Saves quite a bit of time over going over to the Leon exit and back up 45D if you are taking that alternate up to Saltillo.

WOW! Fabulous directions. Thank you so much. One final question. If taking the Periferico - which, if I am reading my google map correctly, gets you onto 80D much earlier - will I hit a lot more city traffic or does it make a difference if I get on there or near Zapotlanejo? It appears if you go on the Periferico you end up just past Tonala?

Well, last time I went that way was on October 15th. The signage heading north along the Periferico was clear in my opinion - directing driver's straight ahead instead of onto 80 libre east. I was hesitant at first since I was hauling a large trailer but went for it. Then at the 80D there was a new off ramp directing driver's onto 80D east to Lagos de Moreno. Both my co-driver and I remarked at how nice this was.

Yes, you do have to pay the La Joya toll (the 3rd one of which you speak for the piece of cuota between Tlaquepaque and Zapotlenejo) but in our case, it was better due to the size of the rig I was driving.

On that trip I also discovered another new toll road, a bypass that has been just opened between San Juan de los Lagos and 45D south of Aguascalientes. To take it, as you come off the end of 80D heading east you take the 80 libre towards Lagos de Moreno at that crazy tangle of roads (exits and ramps). About 1/2 km. keep to your right and exit off of 80 libre onto the new toll road. It is signed but I forget the Hwy# of the new road. Saves quite a bit of time over going over to the Leon exit and back up 45D if you are taking that alternate up to Saltillo.

Ezzie, you can see that new road on both Google Maps and Google Earth. It parallels the 307 which does the same cutoff though it is not a very good road.

Now if we could just get a decent bypass around Lagos De Moreno.

• 5 weeks later...

Here is an update on this route as of this week. I can confirm that going north there is indeed a ramp directly from the Periferico Oriente on to the cuota so no need to use the libre. I can also confirm that there is southbound access to this periferico and is it signed Aeropuerto Periferico. The exit doesn't look like much and there are some massive potholes at the end of the off ramp and also a little further on. This route takes you through a small village and onto the Periferico going north. Almost immediately there is an overpass retourno which brings you around to the southbound direction.

Quoting Ezzie above "On that trip I also discovered another new toll road, a bypass that has been just opened between San Juan de los Lagos and 45D south of Aguascalientes. To take it, as you come off the end of 80D heading east you take the 80 libre towards Lagos de Moreno at that crazy tangle of roads (exits and ramps). About 1/2 km. keep to your right and exit off of 80 libre onto the new toll road. It is signed but I forget the Hwy# of the new road. Saves quite a bit of time over going over to the Leon exit and back up 45D if you are taking that alternate up to Saltillo."

The exit off the "crazy tangle" is signed for Aquascalientes and the new bypass referred to is also signed for Aguascalientes while the road you are travelling is signed for Leon. Definitely take the off ramp onto this new bypass. It's in excellent condition, high speed, no traffic and saves quite a bit of time.

There is no good way through Aguascalientes, period. Ave Siglo XXI is just mess. Lots of construction and what is not under construction is reminiscent of the Lagos de Morenos bypass, i.e. very rough. There are a ton of lights and lots of traffic. However, it is only 16 kilometers so you just have to grin and bear it.

Coming south, to access the new bypass south of Aguascalientes, you drive to the first toll booth, pay the toll, stay on the cuota for about 5 km and you will see the off ramp signed for Guadalajara. Be aware that before the toll booth there is also a sign for Guadalajara which takes you on to a libre. Just ignore that and, as noted, go through the toll booth.

Having done the Lagos de Morenos route and now this route, I prefer this one. For the most part, traffic was exceptionally light. All the roads are high speed and either four lanes or two lanes with very wide shoulders which the trucks are very good about using.

I can also confirm that the interior aduana station south of Laredo appears to be closed although there was a person there to check immigration papers. With our Mexican plated vehicle we were just waved on through. Crossing in both directions at Bridge #2, traffic was very light, no more that 10 minutes going north and 5 minutes coming south. Just good luck, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

By having taken this route twice in the past six months, I can assure you that getting on the cuota by way of the periferico north bound is a breeze, easy, great ramps and wonderful signage. Just follow Maincoons directions, but I can also concur with what Conejorapido says about returning south on the cuota towards the airport and Chapala. You will see a sign saying periferico aeropuerto, you take it and you immediately start wondering where the heck am I? The road is very questionable, ghettofide, full of potholes, and you find yourself in the middle of a small and rather poor community. We followed the signs and took one or two more turns before we found ourselves on the periferico. The first time, six months ago, we ended up in downtown Tonala, we had totally missed getting on the obscure periferico, we still don't know how that happened. The second time we were coming back from Lagos on the cuota this week on Feb 01, and we made it to the periferico, after about halfway of going around Guad, flustered that we had not seen anymore airport signs, we realized we were going north instead of south to the airport. So, we got to take an extra lengthy tour of the perimeters of Guad right when it was getting dark. Lots of fun on a Sunday night!

So, to summarize, going north it is a breeze, wonderful roads and great signage. Returning to Chapala going south is much more confusing, difficult, and potentially scary.

We did the "new" Periferico last week, both ways. NICE ! Going south off the Quota, the sign says "aeropuerto" and exits at the right. You do go through a small "pueblo" and some "potholes" for about 4-5 minutes, and when you come to an overpass/underpass, it looks like you go right, up to the Periferico. BUT, you need to go under the Periferico (take underpass), and turn left on the other side to get back toward Chapala. Clear sailing, but set your cruise to 50 mph, as there are some cameras. When it ends in the Guad-Chapala Hwy, you enter to the right, go a ways, and take the first Returno back to Chapala.

Going North, you exit the Guad-Chapala Hwy just past the Aeropuerto, sign says "Zapotlanejo". Cruise at 50 mph (80kph). Don't exit at Zapotlanejo, but go a little further and exit at "Lagos"? Clearly marked. Saves lots of time.

Generally speaking when you see a sign that reads airport, you follow the sign going straight, expecting to see other signs, when you don't see any, you assume you are going in the right direction. There needs to be signs indicating that you need to go in the opposite direction to reach the airport. How can you say that if they forgot to put up the signs the road is nice? Getting on the cuota is an easy excellent experience, returning is a utter disaster, just my two cents.

When you are referring to the Pereferico Norte, are you referring to that cutoff road just past the airport that goes towards Zapotlanejo or are you referring to the Pereferico that goes to the north end of Guad - is there an exit going the other direction. sorry for sounding so ignorant, but am really confused.......

• 4 weeks later...

I took the airport cutoff yesterday returning from the US. Going northbound no problems but southbound you need to exit at the sign saying Aeropuerto/Periferico and then when you exit head north just a bit and take the returno to get you heading toward the airport.

The other confusing exit was at the last tollbooth on 45D south of Aguascalientes. There is choice of a road heading off to the right as you exit the tollbooth as well as 2 lanes heading south. The signs above the booths both say Guadalajara but as it turns out if you go straight, within a few km you hit the exit for the shortcut to 80D. Once you exit there you can see the entry to the next cuota.

This was first time I tried the Aguascalientes route. Northbound I went through town which was signed well but pretty slow. Even at that I was to the border in Laredo in about 11 hours which was a real good time for me.

On the return I trusted the Garmin and swung around the periferico otherwise known as Siglo XXI. The mile or so of construction was extremely slow but overall the return was quicker using that route than driving through town. Maybe by next year that section will be complete.

On the return from Dallas I exited I35 at the SH130/SH45 toll road around Georgetown and took it all the way to I10 east of San Antonio. There were tolls of course but no traffic and was able to sustain 80-85mph speeds. Depending on time of day one could take I410 south and bypass San Antonio completely.

I took the airport cutoff yesterday returning from the US. Going northbound no problems but southbound you need to exit at the sign saying Aeropuerto/Periferico and then when you exit head north just a bit and take the returno to get you heading toward the airport.

The other confusing exit was at the last tollbooth on 45D south of Aguascalientes. There is choice of a road heading off to the right as you exit the tollbooth as well as 2 lanes heading south. The signs above the booths both say Guadalajara but as it turns out if you go straight, within a few km you hit the exit for the shortcut to 80D. Once you exit there you can see the entry to the next cuota.

This was first time I tried the Aguascalientes route. Northbound I went through town which was signed well but pretty slow. Even at that I was to the border in Laredo in about 11 hours which was a real good time for me.

On the return I trusted the Garmin and swung around the periferico otherwise known as Siglo XXI. The mile or so of construction was extremely slow but overall the return was quicker using that route than driving through town. Maybe by next year that section will be complete.

On the return from Dallas I exited I35 at the SH130/SH45 toll road around Georgetown and took it all the way to I10 east of San Antonio. There were tolls of course but no traffic and was able to sustain 80-85mph speeds. Depending on time of day one could take I410 south and bypass San Antonio completely.

Its 100 kilometres shorter then the SLP route and you avoid the greedy police on the bypass.

Archived