Chapala.com Webboard

Must-Read Article about the Future of Mexico

More Liana

You say Academi but I hear Los Zetas. What could possibly go wrong with a paramilitary group whose only allegiance is to money?

George

Academi is nothing like the Zetas. I don't like mercenaries but no foreign country uniformed soldiers can enter Mexico. A private military can. Apparently Mexico cannot trust its own law enforcement and they certainly are not equipped and trained like Academi who are mostly ex U.S. military. I doubt anyone in Academi would be interested in joining drug lords and betraying his employer.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mexican law enforcement is subject to bribes. They can be bought, paid to participate or look the other way. It is common. Paying a professional to do a job is not buying the person, it is paying him. See the difference?

Why don't you try something new, like debating the subject and not attacking the person?

I am debating the subject and I think that your idea of Mexico hiring a US based mercenary firm like Blackwater to bring law and order to Mexico is absurd.

americans think thay can solve the worlds problems. meanwhile no one asked your opinion. certainly not the mex gov! i have no opinion, its not my country. they also dont want my opinion in my own home town USA. the drug biz is not my biz. all i know if that topdog cartel leader was listed in forbes mag (many years back) as the 749th richest man in the world. they said his business was "shipping". he has many legal businesses as well. the lines blur.

Americans and most educated societies have solved problems with words. I never read that Mexico told us not to have thoughts or ideas about problems in the country. What difference does it make if a criminal is rich. Isn't that the goal of being a criminal?

I am debating the subject and I think that your idea of Mexico hiring a US based mercenary firm like Blackwater to bring law and order to Mexico is absurd.

Gosh I wish you had told me that before I wrote it. It is a suggestion among hundreds of suggestions. You know it will never happen so why are you upset about it?

I was suggesting that legalizing drugs could lead to worse behavior that would injure more innocent people. What part of that do you not understand? I was NOT suggesting that drugs be legalized.

I never said that you suggested legalizing drugs. That was my suggestion. I said you should read the report of the Global Commission on Drug Policy before making your decision on the consequences of legalizing drugs. Let me say it another way: You should read the report of the Global Commission on Drug Policy before drawing your conclusion that the legalization of drug use would lead to worse alternatives. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

Guest bennie2

viajero, for the first time in my adult life, i agree w/you. yes alex it take more than one artical, it takes several w/opposing views. what ever thoughts or ideas people have here are not not being considered by the govt.

Ok, just an example...re UN....look at Cambodia early 1990s

I never suggested that the U.N. send peace keeping forces to Mexico which would be against the Mexican Constitution so why are you directing this to me?

The U.N. was peacekeeping and allowing elections, not running the government,

http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/missions/past/untacbackgr1.html

Archived