Chapala.com Webboard

Allergy Problems ?

I have had allergies my whole life - allergic to a lot of plants, mold and dust - and usually loratadina or a loratadina + a decongestant helps me. HOWEVER, this year, specifically this fall, has been the worst I've dealt with.

I also saw a tree bloom in the mountain across from my place, a tree with white flowers, that I have never seen bloom in the four years I have been here. Don't know if that was the culprit for me, or if all the mold that has developed from the late rains?

Anti-histamines do not raise blood pressure. What you do not want to take are the cold preps. that combine Decongestants (they raise BP) and anti-histamines.

Tell my cardiologists and neurologists that they were wrong to take me off antihistamines then.i'm sure that all the stroke clinics in Canada would like to here from you as well.

Antihistamines can cause ruptures of blood vessels leading to stroke. I also took them almost all my adult life and prefer to take advice from doctors who specialize in stroke and heart failure than a couple of lay persons. Sterimar is not an antihistamine. Spray some salt water up your nose. It's cheaper.

I now use an inhaler[doctor prescribed] and Buckleys for my allergies both having been cleared by my doctors.Antihistamines are a thing of the past for people who have similar problems to mine.

Every drug has side effects. Antihistimines are still a pretty safe handy thing. I wouldn't not think of traveling without Benadryl for emergencies. While I am sure newer drugs exist I am also sure some people will have problems with the newer drugs. No drug is safe to all people at all times. According to two sources Antihistamines are OK for heart patients but many cold medicines are not. Both sources mention Benadryl is just fine. Ask your Doctor to be sure of course!

Archived