Chapala.com Webboard

What about showing $25,000 in a savings account?

latraviesa

Yes, no and maybe.

http://www.chapalalaw.com/immigration-2/

To qualify for the temporary visa they must show a monthly income of 300 times the minimum wage (for 2014 it is 67.29 pesos) or 20,187 pesos or $1,552 US dollars using an exchange rate of 13 to 1. This must be documented with 6 months bank statements. People who have liquid assets may qualify showing that they have maintained an average balance of 5,000 times the minimum wage (for 2014 it is 67.29 pesos) or 336,450 pesos or $25,880 US dollars using an exchange rate of 13 to 1. This must be documented with 12 months bank statements.

With the exchange rate at 14.66 on Friday, the about numbers drop to income of $1,377USD. or assets of $22,950USD.

Now, the Las Vegas consulate only wants to see deposits of $1,000USD.

Much of the above will change with the exchage rate BUT also rise depending if the proposals are approved to jack up the minimum wage for 2015. There are proposals to jack it up to 82 pesos but also that would wreak havok for other things tied to it so it might not pass and only rise at the level of inflation.

It is a moving target not only with regard to the exchange rate but also with the consulate and individual you are dealing with in the consulate...huge differences between consulates...sometimes worthwhile to shop the consulates....Laredo seems to be quick and efficient...

and are you saying the peso amount listed is the minimum daily wage or hourly min. wage?

• 2 months later...

If a married couple can only qualify for one person, that is OK. That person can get the visa approved and they can both go to Mexico with the other spouse entering as a tourist. Once the first spouse has the visa process completed in Mexico, and has the visa card in hand, the second spouse can immediately apply for equal INM status under the vincula familial rules, and with no financial proofs required.

If a married couple can only qualify for one person, that is OK. That person can get the visa approved and they can both go to Mexico with the other spouse entering as a tourist. Once the first spouse has the visa process completed in Mexico, and has the visa card in hand, the second spouse can immediately apply for equal INM status under the vincula familial rules, and with no financial proofs required.

Be careful with this approach. If husband qualifies and wife does not, then yes she enters as a tourist and when husband has his visa she can start. However, if name on wife's passport does not exactly match the name on the marriage certificate usually INM will decline the application. This is based on my experience with a client as recent as last month. Example, Mary Elizabeth Smith is not the same as Mary E. Smith to INM.

If wife can qualify and husband enters as a tourist it is usually easier as the husband's name on his passport more often matches his name on marriage license / certificate. My latest client used this approach and was approved and finger printed this week.

Note if one of the couple is a Permanent Resident the spouse will need to be a Temporary Resident for 2 years before becoming a PR.

There is still the need to apostille or legalize marriage certificate when married outside of Mexico and to have it translated for most INM offices.

Note these comments are based on my experience at INM in SMA which is a very professional immigration office that follows the INM laws very well. I am usually there 3 to 5 days a week.

Sonia

We were told initially at the Denver consulate that for us to qualify that we had to be pesionistas. That is, have the required monthly income in order to get permanente visas. I suggested to the person interviewing us that she look at the Washington DC Mexico embassy website where it says deposits on account meeting the requirements OR monthly income would qualify us. A few minutes later she informed us (after checking the website) that she could in fact offer us permanente visas without monthly income. I just don't think some people actually know the rules or choose to ignore them. I speak Spanish which I'm sure helped too.

Sonia makes some very good points; especially about having the wife apply for the visa and the husband enter as a tourist. Mexico still refuses to understand other naming systems and marriage-name conventions.

Note if one of the couple is a Permanent Resident the spouse will need to be a Temporary Resident for 2 years before becoming a PR.

There is still the need to apostille or legalize marriage certificate when married outside of Mexico and to have it translated for most INM offices.

Note these comments are based on my experience at INM in SMA which is a very professional immigration office that follows the INM laws very well. I am usually there 3 to 5 days a week.

Sonia

I'm hoping the Chapala office will adhere to this which will be my case upon renewing this fall. Last October, Spencer's office told me INM was not abiding by their own ruling here.

Spencer, have you had any luck with this since? Spouse of Permanent Resident can also become Permanent after 2 years of being Temporal?

I have a girlfriend who applied for a Temporary Visa at the Phoenix, AZ Mexican consulate. She just applied for SS and had her SS award letter with her. That was not sufficient for them so she had printed out 6 months of bank statements showing her investment accounts and so she was able to get her visa.

The local office was applying the 2 year rule for spouses who were dependents of the other spouse. we have some work arounds if the people have income or assets to qualify, also they need to register their marriage with immigration.

Archived