Chapala.com Webboard

What to pay for in- home aide

Posting for a friend. They are having surgery and need 24 hour care but not sure what the going rate is for a non- medical person. They will be having their housekeeper stay with them, to cook a bit, and help to assist the person having surgery. Normally the housekeeper only works 4 hours a week but has been with them for years.

Hi,

From my experience with my employment project,...... in this case, I would pay about 400 pesos for the 24 hours, including food and drinks.

It seems like little money per hour, but it doesn't look like a hard job (and a highly qualified worker is not needed) and keep in mind, that here at Lakeside, most people (stores and other,.....) have to work 4 full days for that amount of money.

Rony

I am currently using an in-home nurse/assistant because of a leg injury. She also helped me over 6 years ago when I had an emergency hip replacement.

The more hours they are there - like overnight, the less per hour they charge. She stayed overnight for 2 nights @ 50 pesos per hour. I had to wake her up several times, so it's not like she could just relax all night. An all-night nurse needs to be alert to wake up as needed. Someone who needs 24 hr. care will need 2 nurses - one day shift, one night shift. One person probably can't do all that - they need their sleep too!

When we cut the hours back to 1 or 2 hours per day, she charged 70 pesos per hour, but later told me that is a lower rate because she and I are personal friends. She said she charges up to 200 pesos to drop in just to give a shot or something that requires more skill. She frequently mentions the cost of gas as a factor in the above.

The important thing is that you get someone you can trust!

When my spouse was dying, I had help for the "midnight" shift. The attendant was referred by my spouse's doctor. The charge was $100 pesos per hour. $800 pesos for the shift. I have friends in GDL whose mother predeceased my spouse. Her 24 hour care in GDL was $1000 pesos.

I also paid $800....

Wow..... I can only say,..... next time, you better contact me and I will try to put you in touch with good reliable caregivers, who will charge the normal, fair local labour market prices...... and no possibly hidden "in between costs"..... and not one..... that sleeps through it all.

I like to see people get decent wages but overpaying (taken into account qualifications, and the current prices, cost of living,.....) is often done with the very best intentions, but can actually cause more unemployment (some people who can not afford it, might end up not hiring anybody....).

Don't just ask your doctor...... talk to more Mexicans. Stop comparing to NOB, but compare to similar situations here,..... that is far more realistic and actually better for most people (employers and employees).

Some common sense here...... if a teacher makes 6000 pesos a month (and I worked as a teacher here..), why would you pay a same level qualified person 1/8 of that amount for just one night ?

And this is a very important subject,..... because if more people might decide to stay in their own homes (with affordable caregivers there) instead of going to retirement facilities, this would create more employment.....

(I see it as a win win situation).

Don't be afraid to hire some help, if you might need it..... there are some good people outthere, looking for a job.

Rony ( elbelgicano@yahoo.com ...... check my blog : http://vivachapala.blogspot.mx/ ) ( I don 't charge anything for being the in between person...... I just like to see more people working..... and not just see one or two get rich).

Wow..... I can only say,..... next time, you better contact me and I will try to put you in touch with good reliable caregivers, who will charge the normal, fair local labour market prices...... and no possibly hidden "in between costs"..... and not one..... that sleeps through it all.

I like to see people get decent wages but overpaying (taken into account qualifications, and the current prices, cost of living,.....) is often done with the very best intentions, but can actually cause more unemployment (some people who can not afford it, might end up not hiring anybody....).

Don't just ask your doctor...... talk to more Mexicans. Stop comparing to NOB, but compare to similar situations here,..... that is far more realistic and actually better for most people (employers and employees).

Some common sense here...... if a teacher makes 6000 pesos a month (and I worked as a teacher here..), why would you pay a same level qualified person 1/8 of that amount for just one night ?

And this is a very important subject,..... because if more people might decide to stay in their own homes (with affordable caregivers there) instead of going to retirement facilities, this would create more employment.....

(I see it as a win win situation).

Don't be afraid to hire some help, if you might need it..... there are some good people outthere, looking for a job.

Rony ( elbelgicano@yahoo.com ...... check my blog : http://vivachapala.blogspot.mx/ ) ( I don 't charge anything for being the in between person...... I just like to see more people working..... and not just see one or two get rich).

youre a good man Romy

Archived