Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone With Personal Experience Crossing On Foot in Tijuana Lately?

pedro malo

Has anyone experience the reported new border crossing fees to enter Mexico by foot in Tijuana?

Has this been implemented yet?

Are they checking passports in association with charging this fee?

Are they requiring the filling out of forms (tourist visa etc.) in association with charging this fee?

The drill for crossing on foot into Mexico at Tijuana has been to wave you through without checking passports nor requiring a visa for short border region visits with an occasional baggage check. Has this all changed?

Thank you in advance!

We crossed by foot a month ago, just the red light green light, nothing else.

Has anyone experience the reported new border crossing fees to enter Mexico by foot in Tijuana?

Has this been implemented yet?

Are they checking passports in association with charging this fee?

Are they requiring the filling out of forms (tourist visa etc.) in association with charging this fee?

The drill for crossing on foot into Mexico at Tijuana has been to wave you through without checking passports nor requiring a visa for short border region visits with an occasional baggage check. Has this all changed?

Thank you in advance!

Pedro it was reported the fee idea got dropped pretty quick due to protests by Mexican business people.

On Nov 27, we walked across the pedestrian path in TJ with four boxes of personal property and two suitcases. We were stopped at the border and asked what was in the boxes (not the suitcases). We told him, clothes, photos, personal papers. He wanted one of the four boxes open and so we did. He saw clothes and pictures and waved us on.

There was no fee.

Please note, this was not the crossing used by vehicles, but the pedestrian crossing that starts behind the TJ McDonalds and goes across the pedestrian bridge and then through a building where there is the Mexican customs checkpoint.

Thank you everyone for confirming this!

After posting this I found it had already been addressed in the General Mexico category by Spencer and others. I do appreciate you indulging me and reconfirming what was already posted. You are all such a wonderful resource of information for the less experienced among us.

Muchisimas Gracias!

Just got back from CA thru tj last weds. Crossing into U S walk thru about 1/2 hour pretty much the same for the last couple of years only problem I needed to sign out of Mex. But I didn't, couldn't find it couldn't find the Mex.imigration, took the Volaris bus to Santa fe station then on to Vista CA on return we just missed the noon Volaris bus ( at the Santa fe station m) and had to wait till 2 pm they took us to the boarder and we had to get off, went thru imigration I showed my permanete card and no problem! then they xrayed all our bags then the bus was xrayed. In all it was 1 full hour till we got to the airport. When entered there seem like a 1000. People waiting to get thru Volaris. We made our 4:30 flight to Guad, but not much time to spare. My suggestion find out when the Volaris buses run and get there in plenty of time

Regarda,

Phil

Just got back from CA thru tj last weds. Crossing into U S walk thru about 1/2 hour pretty much the same for the last couple of years only problem I needed to sign out of Mex. But I didn't, couldn't find it couldn't find the Mex.imigration, took the Volaris bus to Santa fe station then on to Vista CA on return we just missed the noon Volaris bus ( at the Santa fe station m) and had to wait till 2 pm they took us to the boarder and we had to get off, went thru imigration I showed my permanete card and no problem! then they xrayed all our bags then the bus was xrayed. In all it was 1 full hour till we got to the airport. When entered there seem like a 1000. People waiting to get thru Volaris. We made our 4:30 flight to Guad, but not much time to spare. My suggestion find out when the Volaris buses run and get there in plenty of time

Regarda,

Phil

Hello Phil

This is interesting. Do I understand you correctly?

So you were unable to turn in the lower have of the FMM form as we are expected to as Permanente when leaving Mexico and when you re-entered and showed your Permanente card, Mexican Immigration did not require you to produce the top half of the form or grill you on why you did not turn it in to begin with when leaving Mexico? Very interesting indeed.

Thank for your input and experiences.

pedro malo

Oh, Volaris left us stranded, DO NOT get their shuttle service, we waited an hour after crossing the border and there were others there, best to make take trolley

Oh, Volaris left us stranded, DO NOT get their shuttle service, we waited an hour after crossing the border and there were others there, best to make take trolley

I've heard this before. Thanks for the confirmation Spencer.

I did not checkout of Mexico. At the boader I just went on my way because I never could find there office so I had no forms I did in the past try at the t j airport but they said at the boarder. When I re-enter mex. 2 weeks later the bus stopped at Imm and I really started to sweat. Then Imm got on the bus and ask me for my passport and I showed it to him he then told me to go inside I then mention that I was permanenta he looked at my card and that was it no need to go inside. Now I would like to know where is imm so I can do this correctly and not have to worry over this issue, because the next time you never know

Phil

There is an immigration module at the TJ airport, kind of off to the right of the check in area, there are many signs warning people they need immigration documents.

Archived