Chapala.com Webboard

NO MORE BORDER HOPPING?

latraviesa

I have friends, Spanish is their first language, who said this is posted at INM in Spanish and it´s not up to INM to notify expats of changes in the law, it´s up to us to check the law.

I was at our INM office 10 days ago and read every poster and paper posted there while waiting and it was not posted. Someone is pulling your leg.

The law was put into effect November 2014.

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/montreal/index.php/es/turistas

Updated info. on Nov. 24th., 2014 and no mention of it at all.

"For admission into Mexico you must present:

1.Passport or identity card and valid and current trip. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of the passport; however, this document must be current at the time of admission and during the period that they wish to remain in Mexico.

2. The Multiple Migratory Form (FMM) duly completed, which will be provided by the airline or at ports of entry.

3.In the case of children under 18 traveling alone or accompanied by a major third age (grandparents, uncles, brothers, etc.) must submit documents attesting authorization to leave the country signed by both parents or Acting parental or guardianship, granted by a public notary. If the document is issued in Canada must be notarized, legalized by the Consulate or Embassy of Mexico and translated into Spanish. Important for minors Note.

4.The immigration authority may at the port of entry require documents proving the purpose of your trip, according to the activity carried on in the national territory: tourist (hotel reservations, itinerary of their return or leaving); Business (Spanish language letter stating that the company's employee (s) thereof and that the services provided in the country shall be borne by the company or invitation letter public or private institution for activities in Mexico unpaid indicating subject of travel, length of stay and estimated liability letter from the travel and stay); technicians (copy of contract for technology transfer, patents and trademarks, purchase of machinery and equipment, technical training of staff or any other related to the production process of a company established in Mexico); student (letter of invitation or acceptance of an institution belonging to the National Education System for courses, study or research project or training by a maximum stay of 180 days."

"The Mexican visa gives you the opportunity to travel to the country. No guarantee entry to the national territory.

At the point of entry, the immigration authorities will ask you some

questions what are the reasons for your journey, the time you spend in

Mexico, and how shall bear the expenses during your stay.

The following are

Examples:

Why are you travelling to Mexico?

What activities will you be doing?

Where will you be staying?

Who do known in the country?

How will you cover your expenses?

How long will you be staying in the country?

If your visa is working, who or what company will hire you? What

activities will performed within the company?

If your student visa is, what program shall issue and what institution?

By what means of transportation will you take out of the country?

As in all countries, immigration authorities verify the

authenticity of the documents submitted and the accuracy of the information

declared, and verify that there is any express prohibition.

The purpose of the journey must match your type of visa.

All persons visiting or living in Mexico have rights that must

be respected. Foreigners have the right to contact their embassy or

consulate."

Pursuant to Rule 60 of the Migration Act. Published in the journal? Cial Federation 28

September 2012."

Is there any truth to this? I´ve heard that as of November 2014, a person holding a tourist VISA can no longer spend more than 180 days, accumulatively, in a calendar year here in Mexico. Can someone verify this?

Can you imagine the amount of work that would be required in order to keep track, by visitor, the cumulative number of days spent in Mexico during a given year, calendar year or last 12 months? If would be impossible to do without a pretty sophisticated computer system.

This pops up at least once a year, but I don't think it is true.

Can you imagine the amount of work that would be required in order to keep track, by visitor, the cumulative number of days spent in Mexico during a given year, calendar year or last 12 months? If would be impossible to do without a pretty sophisticated computer system.

This pops up at least once a year, but I don't think it is true.

Not really. When they scan your passport it simply tells them.

There is a very strong argument of logists for not granting only 180 day FMM tourist cards in a 12 month period.

1. Many Mexican Americans do not have proof of automatic Mexican citizenship or spouses of dual citizens without Mexican immmigration status and use their US book passport or plastic passport card to get a tourist FMM card to travel to places further south than the 25 klm free zone on the Texas and New Mexico borders to visit relatives and friends for short periods of time. Will they be denied access for 1/2 of the time per 12 month period? No! Not justified.

2.Many others do not pay for a FMM every other weekend or so to do these frequent visits and keep the FMM for almost 180 days before turning it in. Economic reasoning. Pay 2X a year for access to Mexico. Now they give 7 day FMM tourist cards for free. A step in the right direction.

3. Others travel many times per year in Mexico by plane on international flight and do turn in their FMM when leaving every time and others do not bother on national flights or driving/walking across the border.

4. If you own property in Mexico can they keep you from vacationing there for over 180 days in a 12 month period even if you pay for many FMMs? Would they want to enforce this restriction on tax paying owners and ruin the condo/home sales in some áreas of the country? Would they want to upset the economic balance in these heavily vacationed áreas by foreigners.

A "tourist" visa is usually good for 180 "consecutive" days. Not cumulative days.

If they cross back and forth many times per year and got a fresh FMM every time they could add up the days individually. The INM data base could track people getting FMMs and handing them in when exiting if they wanted to. Not by US passport numbers and stamps as you can get a tourist FMM with a US passport card which has a different number than your book passport and no stamp.

Last time at Nogales KM21, INM wasn't using computers to issue the Tourist Permit ..... so how could they check. Banjercito had computers but it's not their job

It is a 2 part form with info. on both parts. The one you recieve and the one they file. If they wanted to they could enter your data and the FMM card number you recieved that has also a bar code into their data bank at any time. Airport INM booths now have computers and so do the INM offices right on the borders.

The law was put into effect November 2014.

I think this is pure bunkum and that starting such a rumor was unwise.

So, please prove me wrong and post a link to the law so that we may read it for ourselves.

Thanks

It is a 2 part form with info. on both parts. The one you recieve and the one they file. If they wanted to they could enter your data and the FMM card number you recieved that has also a bar code into their data bank at any time. Airport INM booths now have computers and so do the INM offices right on the borders.

I know it's possible .... but is it probable. They didn't have a computer entering Mexico and when I left turning in the other half of the FMM by the looks on their faces I'm sure that went into the circular file

I know it's possible .... but is it probable. They didn't have a computer entering Mexico and when I left turning in the other half of the FMM by the looks on their faces I'm sure that went into the circular file

I agree it is not likely they care at the present time and definately not in the past the way they would refuse to even consider taking a tourist FMT of FMM card when asking them nicely at the border offices and forget about getting your book passport stamped without a fuss even 4 years ago. The point is they have the capability now and data base to track FMM cards if they decide to one day.

The main reason some people get them in Baja is to be sure they are in the country legally in case of an automobile accident and their Mexican insurance company denies a claim because they did do not have a valid FMM tourist card at the time. It has been reported to happen. It is much cheaper to buy a 1 year policy than several short term policies there.

Last time at Nogales KM21, INM wasn't using computers to issue the Tourist Permit ..... so how could they check. Banjercito had computers but it's not their job

We were in the same location Nov.1st and the guy who issued our tourist permit did enter the info into a computer. Including our passport info.

Archived