Chapala.com Webboard

Cocin Art - must try

windstar

Great new restaurant - Cocin Art on 16th Sept, where the Red Piano was. Not to be confused with Cosin y Arte on Morelos. Lunch menu 45 to 55 pesos inc warm bread - 20 peso beer. We had lamb burger with small roasted red potatoes & salad and the filet of bass with a fruit salsa glaze, curried rice & lightly cooked snow peas, red peppers & zucchini. Nice presentation, cooked perfectly & caring service. Can't wait to try the dinner menu.

Wondering two things, not having been myself yet: 1, is this place "connected" in any way to the new bar at the back end of the old Red Piano? And 2, kalik: filet of bass or "basa"?

Wondering two things, not having been myself yet: 1, is this place "connected" in any way to the new bar at the back end of the old Red Piano? And 2, kalik: filet of bass or "basa"?

They told me sea bass. Firm, very white fish - thick, long filets. Clean flavor. Not like tiliapia from Pacifico

I haave been their with my group, We had two different salmon dishes, they were fab, The owner is Arturo, who was Pedro and O chef for years, and his wife who owned Frida Azul, now they are together at last,am looking for great things, their weekly specials will be ethnic cooking as he was doing at Pedros

That was a review to cause mouths to water, Ajijic hiker. I hope they post their weekly specials on the announcements section.

We missed Pedro's when it closed, and those many stairs to GO are a deal breaker for mi esposo, so if their former chef is busy at the new place, we can't wait to try it. Like tomorrow!!

Esposo and I had lunch there today. Of of the "specials" posted was salmon Dijon. Spouse had that and was very happy; declared it the best in town, and only 110 pesos. It came with veggies and a golden rice. I decided to go for the sirloin burger. Thick, juicy and covered with a little bacon, cheese and carmelized onions. Perfect. Little red roasted potatoes on the side and a bit of salad. Priced at 45 pesos, it was a real bargain. There were many regular menu items I'm planning to try. Charming decor and good service. Picked up a flyer stating:

Open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m./5 p.m.to 9 p.m. on Wed., Thurs, Fri. 16 de Septiembre, #4D

Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Sunday: 10:00a.m. to 6 p.m.

Tel 331 395 38 10 email: oyukic@hotmail.com

agree with all above low prices , smallish portions great taste.

Just hope husband and wife team can cope long term.

My burger was very thick. More of it than in most places: in fact, I couldn't finish it and had to hand some over to my spouse....which he welcomed. They also have a lamb burger.

Tried CocinArt last night, and I can only say "wow". Delicious. Had the Red Thai soup, a thick and creamy taste delight, for only 35p. They were out of the baked garlics for appetizers, so ordered the Chinese riblets. Have had these before, and expected a small plate of tasty but not-much-meat ribs... what I got was a big plate of excellent ribs with all kinds of meat. In the middle was a pleasant-looking selection of basic (but fresh) salad ingredients, covered in a really nice raspberry compote dressing. The balance of sliced red onions against the sweet dressing was a great mouth awakening. $45p.

Main dish was curry Bhengali, a creamy shrimp dish with a light touch of spices (this is "India" week at the place), nine very large shrimp cooked perfectly, a very tasty mix of properly stir-fried veg, and one of the nicest basmati rice servings ever. $100p. My friend had the chicken tandoori: creamy, rich, delicious, chicken chunks tender and juicy at $85p. Most expensive menu item was ribeye at $130.

Side dish of toasted bolillo with hard butter cut up into little cubes for presentation and ease of spreading, although the toast only succeeded in making the bread crusty... too crusty to pick up the sauce left over from my Bhengali.

Service was very very good and quick, even though there were at least 25 other people eating there.

The chef hadn't decided what next week's special cuisine will be, but we will be going back next weekend. The selection and prices on the regular menu (all the above were specials) has me anxious to return anyway.

(Afterthought: bassa on the menu for the vindaloo was definitely bagre, not sea bass.)

Many are confused by “bassa“. It is catfish (bagre), usually imported from Vietnam. It is not any kind of bass. The similar sounding names, bassa and bass, are simply a coincidence which confuses English Speakers and local servers trying to handle English.

At the risk of threading the needle too finely, there is no confusion. It is not sea bass. It is catfish. And for those who would like to know, most of the catfish that we get--imported--is farmed, and does not roam freely in herds at the bottom of the dirtiest rivers. This is yet another unfounded rumour, well-sponsored by the fishing lobbyists in the U.S., who would have us buy their product and not the cheaper imported stuff. If you notice any dusty flavour, and I've mentioned this before, it is from a chemical used in the fish farms to keep them "healthy".

But I would like to see comments from others who've eaten at the new CocinArt, not another long discussion of these fish.

I've given up ordering white fish in restaurants to avoid the issue.

You are among, I think, a growing number. I enjoy the taste most of the time; I've eaten a lot of fried catfish in Florida. I find the biggest problem here is that the small fish that gets purchased just isn't of a size that can be properly cooked. The filets are so thin that they are heated/steamed before they have a chance to grille or pan-fry, leaving the meat wet and limp. Not to mention the tiny portions. This is, after all, a fish, and should be enough to feed someone.

You are among, I think, a growing number. I enjoy the taste most of the time; I've eaten a lot of fried catfish in Florida. I find the biggest problem here is that the small fish that gets purchased just isn't of a size that can be properly cooked. The filets are so thin that they are heated/steamed before they have a chance to grille or pan-fry, leaving the meat wet and limp. Not to mention the tiny portions. This is, after all, a fish, and should be enough to feed someone.

Re the whitefish (just listed that way on the menu) served to my friend last week: the filet was large and plump enough. She said it was very good, and I know her well enough to know she would have complained if her portion wasn't enough. We didn't inquire as to its true heritage.

My wife and I just came from lunch.....fantastic! I had the very best liver and onions accompanied with cruncy veggies and mashed potatos. My wife chose the chicken sandwich which, unfortunately, she finished! I was hoping I would be forced to help her. The staff was very attentive and courteous and the place was packed. Arturo, the chef has finally gotten to show off his skills and is doing an excellent job. We're going back Friday....can't wait!!!!

Archived