Chapala.com Webboard

dollar to peso exhange rate 14.070

JayBearII

Makes it hard now to sell a home in Mexico, priced in US$ to anyone who is not American with US$ to buy. Those houses priced in US$ for every one else is going up in price by the day. Same applies to rents.

Not only Mexicans but Canadians at a disadvantage, and folks from the USA still can not sell homes, so I guess another slow selling season at Lakeside ugh :010:

I am still surprised after being here many years to see the prices in US. We are in Mex. what is wrong with advertising and paying in Pesos.

In Canada or US, they always ask for the money of the country.

When the Mex. go to work in the US. the rent or pay check is in US. money.

There is no law about that? Just curious.

When you cross South Texas into Mexico at Progresso all the prices are in dollars. For everything and at all the stores. I was there a few years ago and bought something and handed the clerk a 500 peso note and he said no way, we don't use pesos here!

I've not found that to be true and I have lived in Southern Texas. Maybe McDonalds or taco joints along the Border, nothing else. The USD is the currency in the USA.

When a local apartment or house for rent is advertised in dollars, do they expect Mexican nationals to convert their pesos to dollars if THEY want to rent one of these homes? Is that a form of discrimination? I wanted to pay the listed price of an apartment, (it was listed in pesos and dollars) but when I went to sign the rental contract, and to pay the rent in pesos, the rent amount was then raised to meet the current US dollar exchange rate. I do not believe that is legal. The owner of the rental is a Mexican national. I decided NOT to rent the apartment.

excellent question

The contract is between the signatories. The rent could be in Chickens, but I do not know how the Landlord would calculate the tax. But there is always a way to determine value. If someone wants to limit the available pool of renters by demanding a certain currency, I suppose it is there business.

I've not found that to be true and I have lived in Southern Texas. Maybe McDonalds or taco joints along the Border, nothing else. The USD is the currency in the USA.

As I said, Progresso and I have no other towns that I am ascribing that to. There is no McDonald's or Taco Bell there, but many pharmacies, dentists, liquor stores and several very good local restaurants. Everything was priced in USD.

Archived