Chapala.com Webboard

Importing Chickens

Teach

Hi All, can anyone tell me or tell me how to find out if the importation of live baby chickens is easily accomplished into Mexico?

Or, if there is a Mexican hatchery within Mexico that I could order from? I'm wanting Black Australorp chicks. They are a great dual purpose bird with great laying ability.

Teach

Try asking some of the vendors on Mercadolibre about importing or maybe they know how to find the chickens.

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/animales-aves/

This one says this giant chicken the Shamo is imported from the U.S. This chicken is 2 1/2 feet tall.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-469562889-para-galleros-excelente-trio-o-shamo-puros-importados-_JM#D[s:VIP,L:SELLER_ITEMS,V:2]

There is a vendor on Zaragoza in Chapala who sells a variety of chickens, so maybe he knows.

For you to legally import chickens would be very difficult.

Try asking some of the vendors on Mercadolibre about importing or maybe they know how to find the chickens.

http://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/animales-aves/

This one says this giant chicken the Shamo is imported from the U.S. This chicken is 2 1/2 feet tall.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-469562889-para-galleros-excelente-trio-o-shamo-puros-importados-_JM#D[s:VIP,L:SELLER_ITEMS,V:2]

There is a vendor on Zaragoza in Chapala who sells a variety of chickens, so maybe he knows.

For you to legally import chickens would be very difficult.

Looks more like a fighting bird than a meat bird to me.

I don't get this. Importing birds from the USA into Canada and vice versa is pretty easy as long as the birds are under a 72 hour age from hatching. Beyond that all you need is a veterinarian's certification that they are healthy.

I too was wondering about fertile eggs being brought in.

How would a person go about finding out the official ruling on this? Who would you ask locally that speaks english? Spencer perhaps?

I've yet to have my vehicle searched at the Mexican border but have several times at the USA border. Might end up having to try it and keep fingers x'd.

Ideally it would be nice to be able to buy them locally or at least within Mexico. I'm sure there is a source, it's just a matter of finding it that would be harder.

The chicken dealer in Chapala has already been mentioned. You might also ask at the agricultural feed store on the carretera between Chapala and Ajijic. I am sure that they would know of various sources.

I know someone in the bird business who had people smuggle in live birds for years and they were never caught until the last one but it took a few years for it to end.

I doubt anyone will care about a dozen eggs in an egg carton. Buy some fertilized eggs near the border and bring them back, They don't start growing until mama sits on them so you have at least 5 days after they are laid to get them into an incubator.

I think that 2 1/2 foot tall chicken is cool. Wouldn't that chicken create some stares? I had White Silkies here and I loved those chickens.

Which end of Zaragoza is this dealer located? Any idea of the name of the store? Landmarks outside?

Joco, I'm gonna try to get out to the garden club meeting on the 10th. I hope to see you there. I will try to bring those Egyptian walking onion sets for you.

I should have stipulated that I'm specifically looking for "Black Australorp" breed of chickens.

Thanks everyone for the pointers and heads up. Being new to the area I'm still trying to get to know where everything is. And just when I think it is nothing......that little hole in the wall turns out to be what I was looking for. Go figure! jaja

Take Hidalgo to Chapala. Go through the traffic light, Cross Juarez and the next one way street going North (left) is Zaragoza. Turn left on Zaragoza. Cross the next street and I think before you get to the second street the vendor is on your left. If not keep driving and you will see it. He has lots of cages on the street.

I love that Polaco. Is that a Polish Frizzle?

If you're referring to the "Polaco Pinto" with the feathers that are white inside and black around the outside, that looks to me like a Silver Laced Polish. They come in bantam and standard sizes. I used to have Silver Polish and Golden Polish bantams, along with a few other fancy breeds. Nice to see those photos - brings back fond memories.

If you're referring to the "Polaco Pinto" with the feathers that are white inside and black around the outside, that looks to me like a Silver Laced Polish. They come in bantam and standard sizes. I used to have Silver Polish and Golden Polish bantams, along with a few other fancy breeds. Nice to see those photos - brings back fond memories.

People who have never had chickens don't know what cute animals they are. I miss having my Silkie chickens. I'd love to have some of the miniatures from that site.

Here's another lead.

This webpage includes a comment from someone living in central Mexico who says that Purina dealers sell Australorps (scroll down):

http://www.backyardchickens.com/products/australorp/reviews/7283

Purina Mexico has a website. Here's a locator for distributors in Jalisco:

http://www.nutrimentospurina.com/seccion/distribuidores/mexico/jalisco/

You could poke around the Purina website to see if you could find more info.

Suerte,

-- Don

Thanks for the input everybody. I've stopped in at the shop on Zaragoza and enquired about the Australorps with him. He was going to enquire with his supplier and said he'd get back to me. We'll see what happens. Failing that I'll follow up on those Purina food dealers and see what they can do.

The person who posted the Purina information on Backyard Chickens lives in Mexico. I bet if you join the site you can communicate with that person and maybe get chickens that way.

ehecatl wrote:

Hi All, I was raised in the US and lived most of my life there but now am retired and live in central Mexico (south of Toluca), and my hens are my favorite hobby.

Archived