Chapala.com Webboard

Greetings to all you Expert On-Line Shoppers!

There is a product available on Amazon.com that I would like to buy, but shipping to Mexico is not available for this particular item. I know I've casually read about alternative methods of getting purchases brought down here (but I'm not a shopper, so wasn't paying much attention). I think Sol y Luna has been mentioned, and I'm pretty sure I remember someone in Texas was once in the biz of bringing things down.

I know where Sol y Luna is located, so I can go talk to them. But does anyone have contact info for the Texas-based person to whom I refer? Also open to other ideas. We're talking bigger than a bread box, smaller than a suitcase. Totally benign.

Thanks!

Prefer not to give out my phone number but feel free to PM me with any questions. Look over their website and many questions are answered. You get the merchandise to them either in Houston or their warehouse in Laredo. We use Houston as we know the person in that office. They check your package and then email you a firm price that includes delivery and duty, guaranteed. We then call her and give an American Express card authorization and in 5-10 business days our package arrives. We had one instance where we could see Aduana charged more duty than the entire cost we paid and they did not ask for anything extra. We have all kinds of items sent that Amazon claims can't be shipped to Mexico, nothing illegal,but even generic medication sent from India, etc. Our last package had 23 items and weighed about 11 pounds and we paid a total of $76.50 which we think is a steal every 2-4 months. We use US Global Mail in Houston to receive and store all our mail until we have enough for Estafeta.

Might check Punto Mio/Bongo. They assign you a mailbox in Miami to have your stuff shipped to and they forward it to you here, paying the duty and shipping charges. Seems cheaper than the package deals that Williams Sonoma, Cooking.com and other retailers that offer international shipping.

US Global Mail will also ship your stuff here directly but they only use UPS, USPS and Fedex, not Estafeta directly. When getting a quote online for any of these other companies we have found the cost of shipping almost double Estafeta and then they just estimate your duty and settle up with you later depending on the actual duty paid. For us it's a no-brainer as even with the cost of UPS ground shipping to Estafeta in Houston (1 day) the cost is much less and once it clears Customs in Nuevo Laredo you have a tracking number.

YMMV

• 3 weeks later...

Archived