Chapala.com Webboard

Need O-Negative Blood

3palms

IMO to correct his problem, he should ask his doctor to give him a shot of Vitamin K to thicken his platelets. That would work instantly. Adding blood is not really a solution when you are on blood thinner and want to reverse the situation. I talk from experience, having seen my father with that problem many times.

I am O neg, and so wish I could help. Unfortunately, Mexico is so very strict about who can and cannot donate I am ineligible. I agree with the advice to appeal to young Mexicans - students, etc. I know it's difficult to find an O neg though, and many of them may not even know their type. Good luck to you.

Nowadays, you need to have your blood type printed on your drivers license. At least, that was true when I got mine recently.

The cardiologist has taken him off the blood thinners. His hemoglobin count is down to 7, when it should be between 14 and 18. The best way to boost this is to get the blood. Right now he is having chest pains when he walks further than 100 feet and feels weak. He is taking iron shots and we are appealing to the Mexican community for o-negative blood. Thank you for your suggestions and we hope something materializes.

If his level of hemoglobin is low, he's anemic. I understood that he was on blood thinner, which is a different story and has to do with platelets. That' why I suggested Vitamin K. But if he does not need to stop the bleeding and has lost too much blood and became anemic, then he needs blood. If the bleeding does not stop, he would need Vitamin K also.

Good luck.

O pos. is universal donor so your husband should be able to receive O pos blood. I am O pos. and would gladly donate to anyone but unfortunately the regulations are quite strict here in Mexico, tattoos are a no no, any illness. blah blah.

I believe if a person donates on is behalf no matter the type of blood they will give him what he needs.

Does he have insurance if so then should be able to get a transfusion at any hospital. I have had 2 or 3 transfusions while here. I have insurance.

O pos. is universal donor so your husband should be able to receive O pos blood. I am O pos. and would gladly donate to anyone but unfortunately the regulations are quite strict here in Mexico, tattoos are a no no, any illness. blah blah.

I believe if a person donates on is behalf no matter the type of blood they will give him what he needs.

Does he have insurance if so then should be able to get a transfusion at any hospital. I have had 2 or 3 transfusions while here. I have insurance.

No that is not true, as O neg you can only receive O neg. My wife is o neg and needed also a donor some time ago. It is hard to come by, as not many Mexican have this blood type. Finally family from other states had to come over as it was life threatening at that time. There are some Twitter groups or maybe facebookgroups of gdl where you can request blood donors which are a great help. I will try to find them and post them here as I don't think my wife will be able to donate now.

Not going to argue but they can use many parts of the blood so if O is needed that can be given, and positive factors removed. Platelets, etc...many variables. In a bleeding issue when just needing volume O blood minus the RH factor should be used.

Maybe we are in a third world country. Maybe a blood mobile would be something to have come to Lake Chapala and about Mexico to get more donors..

Are u telling me in all of Mexico they cannot locate O neg. blood?

Archived