Chapala.com Webboard

Watch Your Change at Walmart

sunnyvmx

After the last post about incorrect change being received at Walmart, I have been closely counting my change and I'm sorry to report that more often than not, I'm short changed 10 pesos everytime. To add insult to injury the cashier doesn't even check to see his mistake, just takes 10 pesos out of the drawer and hands it to me. What does that tell you?

The one dark haired girl even counts out the change very professionally and still is 10 pesos short. I'm surprised when I especially make a point of watching them ring up each item, see the total and carefully observe the change amount due that they still try to rip me off. I have tried to think of what recourse I should take and I've decided to ask at the customer counter for the manager to correct the error as just confronting the cashier is certainly not making any impression. Or point to the amount due and ask for correct change each time before I receive it. I wonder how many times the cashier will stop and take another 10 pesos out of the drawer.

I find the best way to eliminate problems is to have close to the correct change. Too many of us get money from the ATMs, myself included and all we get most of the time are mostly $500 peso notes. What do I do? I go to the bank and get change. Oh and I speak to the cashiers in my kind of sort of OK Spanish, which they greatly appreciate

Once I was underpaid at Wall-mart and I didn't notice. The clerk chased me and gave me the correct change.

I have only had them do this with centavos, and I will usually stand there and wait for my centavos. Yes, they are just centavos, but they add up and I donate those to different charities.

I am curious, those who are getting ripped off, how much is your total purchases? My transactions are usually all under 200 mxn.

I agree there is a problem at Wal-Mart with change (hubby got hit for $100 pesos and didn't catch it in time), BUT I would like to say something positive...

I was there 2 days ago and had a full cart. I checked out, paid by cc, tipped the bag girl, and was happily chugging out with my stuff. I was already outside when I heard a "Senora! Senora!" behind me. It was the bag girl who chased me down because I left one of my bags behind. Just like everywhere, there are good people and there are bad. For the most part, my experiences there have been good, so I hate to see all of the WM workers getting painted with the "sticky fingers" brush.

BTW, not that it was necessary, but her English was excellent.

I been very lucky at walmart. I left my wallet on the counter, silly me, the girl did the same run after me to give it back to me. I ask to talk to the manager to congratulate the honesty of the girl. Never had a bad experience. I also ask a year ago that the baggers not sit by the ATM machine, and now the baggers

are sitting somewhere else! So, not is all bad in this world.

Perhaps by using your debit or credit card, any transactions that are made will not be compromised.

My car was compromised to the tune of $2,000 after using it at Walmart this year. So was a neighbours.

Easier to watch my change than to get a new Credit card.

In Vallarta at Farmacia GDL little kids are the baggers. On cue as i was getting my change they started a disturbance between them as i was being given my change. Rather than grabbing my change and getting out of the chaos i stood my ground and counted my change which was short. It really disturbed to me to realize that these little kids had been brought in on the scam. Its a new Mexico. Count your change.

I have used a debit card at Walmart since it first opened. NEVER a problem. Count your change - isn't that something you would do anywhere in the world? What appears to be a distraction might just possibly be what it appears to be - 2 kids screwing around. If you have had problems, real or imagined, why would you just simply go somewhere else?

Because of this thread I am more aware of counting my change. I was there today at the express checkout and my total was $101p and I gave her a $500p bill. She asked me for 1 peso which I gave her and then gave me back $300p. I almost left with that amount when I told he I needed another $100p. She had already started checking out the person behind me and I had to wait until she was

finished before she gave me my $100p.

maw

Because of this thread I counted my change today also.... Guess what exactly 10 pesos short. I was given my bills then a pile of 5 peso coins on top to total 40 pesos but it should have been 50 peos. So I put all my change back into his hands and handed him the receipt and told him "No es correcto.". Well what do you know he added a 10 peso coin to the pile ... Yeah right!!!! Why would he have given me all those 5 peso coins instead of the 10 peso coin that he had? Me thinks I smell a rat. I gave him a prolonged look and he would kept looking away from me with guilt in his eyes.... If It happens again I will report it. Ten pesos a customer times how many a day. HUMMMM might want to get me a job there!

I have finally decided that I will point at the total change to be returned on the display and in my best and most polite spanish request the cashier for correct change before i put my hand out to receive it while I look directly into his eyes. Maybe in this way the word will get out amongst the cashiers that we have caught on and won't accept the thievery. I hate to think the bagboys are in on it, but I can imagine the remarks and laughter going on at our expense.

Because of this thread I am more aware of counting my change. I was there today at the express checkout and my total was $101p and I gave her a $500p bill. She asked me for 1 peso which I gave her and then gave me back $300p. I almost left with that amount when I told he I needed another $100p. She had already started checking out the person behind me and I had to wait until she was

finished before she gave me my $100p.

maw

Same scam at Farmacia Guadalajara, a young fellow who disappears immediately after short changing you, happened to me twice and each time it was 100 Pesos short.

Guest bennie2

walmart is so unpleasent. many hoops to jump thru just to buy something (??). been there 2xs, never again. quite frankly i dont get its charm. each to its own. for that torture everyhting should be like 50% off. looks like a discount warehouse, but the prices are just average.

walmart is so unpleasent. many hoops to jump thru just to buy something (??). been there 2xs, never again. quite frankly i dont get its charm. each to its own. for that torture everyhting should be like 50% off. looks like a discount warehouse, but the prices are just average.

I do believe that Wal-Mart has the best french bread. I cut it in half and make sub sandwiches. For 12 p a loaf it is a bargain.

maw

I guess it is not every one favorite place to shop, but like most places it does have some "treasures".... and the bathrooms are always clean...I find some Lakeside people unpleasant so I chose not to associate with them.....just wish I had bought the stock 15 years ago

I've been to plenty of Walmarts in Guadalajara and have never been short changed,it makes me think that maybe it's more of a problem at the Ajijic location,for whatever reason..

Archived