Chapala.com Webboard

Screws for particle board

cedros

Yes, what do you mean by screws for particle board?? Is there something special you are looking for? There is a good selection of general wood screws (coarse thread, countersunk) at most hardware stores. I just picked up some nice ones at Home Depot.

Screws for particle board are different.

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=screws+for+particle+board&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=R4J&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FE1nVLWcC4eayASb54DwDg&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=589

I've been to 8 hardware stores Lakeside and none of them carry these screws. They send me in circles trying to find them.

The screws are different for a reason. Regular wood screws won't do the job.

Screws for particle board are different.

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=screws+for+particle+board&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=R4J&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FE1nVLWcC4eayASb54DwDg&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=589

I've been to 8 hardware stores Lakeside and none of them carry these screws. They send me in circles trying to find them.

The screws are different for a reason. Regular wood screws won't do the job.

I am not sure why you are having a issue, the ones shown are available from the local hardware stores..maybe print the copy and show the store

Those are called "deck screws" and are entirely different from drywall screws. I donated several pounds to that carpenter teaching place in Riberas.Perhaps they could sell you some if they have any left. Home depot sells them in Guadalajara but they weren't the same quality as those that came from Canada. As I recall the HD screws had a combo PhIllips/Robertson head. the deck screws at the school have a Robertson head as shown in your picture.

I am not sure why you are having a issue, the ones shown are available from the local hardware stores..maybe print the copy and show the store

I repeat I have been to 8 local hardware stores without success. I take a particle board screw to show them and they usually just shake their head.

What local hardware stores do you think they are at?

Those are called "deck screws" and are entirely different from drywall screws. I donated several pounds to that carpenter teaching place in Riberas.Perhaps they could sell you some if they have any left. Home depot sells them in Guadalajara but they weren't the same quality as those that came from Canada. As I recall the HD screws had a combo PhIllips/Robertson head. the deck screws at the school have a Robertson head as shown in your picture.

That is a thought to ask that teaching place in Riberas

The specialty screws for particle board take into account the nature of the material, i.e, particles held together by glue. The strength comes from spreading the load over a wider area with course threads. A pilot hole aims to avoid distorting the material so there is good solid undisturbed material for the threads to hold onto. If you are looking to replace a screw in an existing hole, short of filling the hole with a glued in plug for the new screw to bit into, only an original particle board screw will do. If you are looking to make a new attachment you can make do with what is available here if you account for the properties of particle board.

For particle board when putting a screw into an existing hole if I can't get a tight fit I put in a piece of a wooden match stick and then am careful not to over-tighten. It works. I assembled, broke down and re-assembled a computer desk and hutch that way and have no issues with it. Don't know if that would help you with your application, obviously.

I have tried what truebluegreen suggested but it didn't last long. My 13th store (Casa del Plomero) had some. They weren't exactly what I was looking for but very, very close.

The teaching place in Riberas didn't have any. They aren't usually open today but someone broke into their place last night and stole their safe. They let me look through all their screws.

They aren't usually open today but someone broke into their place last night and stole their safe. They let me look through all their screws.

I think that only in Mexico if a store had just been broken into and a safe stolen, would the owner let an individual come in and shop for a needed item!!! Anywhere else, the whole area would be sealed off as a crime scene and 15 'lawmen' would be milling around.

Viva Mexico

All he needs is deck screws as per his picture. they go into particle board like a knife through butter. Been there done that. If you only need 10-20, I have 1 3/4 and 3". I can't believe the school already went through several pounds of these especially since i only gave them one Robertson for their electric drill

All he needs is deck screws as per his picture. they go into particle board like a knife through butter. Been there done that. If you only need 10-20, I have 1 3/4 and 3". I can't believe the school already went through several pounds of these especially since i only gave them one Robertson for their electric drill

What picture? The link didn't work for me.

And #2 and #3 square head drive bits (puntillas cuadrex) are readily available all over down here. Skinny deck screws like #8 have very little holding power in particle board. Better to use a #10 screw and predrill with a much smaller bit to minimize either splitting or swelling.

What picture? The link didn't work for me.

And #2 and #3 square head drive bits (puntillas cuadrex) are readily available all over down here. Skinny deck screws like #8 have very little holding power in particle board. Better to use a #10 screw and predrill with a much smaller bit to minimize either splitting or swelling.

The screws the original poster references are almost exactly like clutch-head (Robertson type) deck screws, except the clutch-head particle board-only version does not have the self-drilling tapered V-slot cut into the tip. Typical deck screws and particle-board-only screws have the same proportions: moderately thick body - thicker than drywall screws but not as thick as a wood screw - but with the pitch of a deck screw.

2012112132222218s.jpg versus clutch-head-deck-screw.gif?w=339&h=300

I have had a cabinetshop for 30+ years. I know all about screws and fasteners. The must important detail for holding power in particle board is the depth of the thread.

The screws the original poster references are almost exactly like clutch-head (Robertson type) deck screws, except the clutch-head particle board-only version does not have the self-drilling tapered V-slot cut into the tip. Typical deck screws and particle-board-only screws have the same proportions: moderately thick body - thicker than drywall screws but not as thick as a wood screw - but with the pitch of a deck screw.

2012112132222218s.jpg versus clutch-head-deck-screw.gif?w=339&h=300

Dropped into the carpentry school today and they still have some of the donated screws. Will probably sell you some. They keep them in coffee cans on the counter on the left about the middle.

So I went back to the carpentry school (Have Hammers) today and told them they had some donated screws in coffee cans on the counter. They said they didn't have a counter with coffee cans on it.

Archived