Chapala.com Webboard

Car Permit Extensions

Sonia

Based on a lengthy phone call to Aduana this week I asked about this topic on behalf of clients. Others may get a different response but I was very clear in what I was asking and I did so in Spanish.

Normally a car permit expires when your visa expires. When car permit is about to expire, Aduana must receive your notification within 15 days of the day you receive your new visa. If you do not do so, your deposit is lost but your car is still legal as long as you are legal.

Some may say 15 days from date your car permit expires. That is not what I was told.

You can notify Aduana by going to your local Aduana office (ex. Queretaro in our case) or you send by courier the documents to address below.

Legible copies of passport, visa front and back, the TIP page which you received at the border and from which you removed the car sticker and a form found in the document on page 43 on the following web site which is slow to load. When mailing you must have the form but if going personally they will usually provide the it but it is only in Spanish.

ftp://ftp2.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/2012/vehiculos/Manual_importacion_temporal_vehiculos.pdf

I also have the form saved if anyone needs it.

If using courier address is:

Administracion de Operacion ADUANERA NO. 3

Avenida Hidalgo #77, Modulo 4

1 er Piso Colonia Guerrero Del . Cuahutemoc

C.P. 06300

Mexico D.F.

You will then receive return notification from Aduana based on the contact information in the form.

If your car is legal you do not need a Returno Seguro even if deposit was forfeited.

Enjoy the special long weekend.

Sonia

Sonia, thank you. I did not give a deposit when I drove down 4 years ago. I am still waiting for my new visa. Do I understand you correctly that I have 15 days after I receive my new visa to sort out my car problem?

Sonia, thank you. I did not give a deposit when I drove down 4 years ago. I am still waiting for my new visa. Do I understand you correctly that I have 15 days after I receive my new visa to sort out my car problem?

May I suggest you start here:

https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob.mx/aduanas_cpitv_internet/index.aspx

And you can check your car permit status.

https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob.mx/aduanas_cpitv_internet/index.aspx

So I went to this site and put in the number on the paperwork for the 2003 vehicle I drove in and registered at Aduana in Laredo on Dec 30, 2005. Nothing comes up.

It was literally PACKED solid cars and people coming across so much so that when we finished we did not go back to the US side hotel room but instead took a room in Nueva Laredo and left from there in the AM. The line of vehicles actually wove thru the streets around the offices.

Although I remember a printer spitting out the two vehicle stickers pages I do not remember much other than thinking the office for as important as it must be seemed incredibly simplistic. I have wondered over the years if the car is even in the system.

Tomorrow I will look up the 2nd car brought in that night.

Anyone else from around that time have verification that their car is in the system?

That is all well and good Sonia but many of us have lost deposits in the Chapala area because of the time it takes INM in the Chapala office to turn around Temporal renewals. Even if you put in your renewal application 30 days before it expires, you would be very lucky to get your card in 45 days (30 + 15). You can't notify Aduana when you don't have your new card yet. Banjercito doesn't care. If they don't see anything from Aduana that says you have renewed, they just send your deposit off to the Treasury and you might as well kiss your deposit bye bye if that happens!! Spencer has been fighting this injustice for 18 months now and still not gotten a resolution or recovered any refunds.

Ezzie I understand where you are coming from. For my clients based on advice from Aduana I would suggest they go to Aduana (Queretaro for those in San Miguel) when they applied for their visa renewal and show Aduana the renewal page with their NUT number, proof of payment to the bank for INM, copy of main page of passport and copy of TIP page from which the windshield portion was taken. This worked every time.

What Aduana was telling me this week was you now have 15 days after you receive your new visa. But they must have the list of documents noted in my original post and the completed form in their office within those 15 days. This means using courier service or going to Aduana quickly.

The Aduana office I spoke with can be reached at 01-800-463-6728 options 7, 2, 2. Others including Spencer may want to call. I talked with them 3 times this week about this and other subjects and they were very helpful.

For cars brought in many years ago such as the car entering in Dec. 2005 as above, I agree you may not find your vehicle. Two reasons may be you have a new passport with a different number and also their computer systems likely did not transfer all or even any of the old information when they updated likely several times.

I also realize you may ask a different Aduana agent and get different answers and it can be frustrating.

Solajijic,

I could be totally wrong on this, but....

Back in 2005 I suspect that the entry of TIP information was not 'as computerized' as it is today. One just relied on the Article 106 statement that, 'if your visa was valid, your TIP was valid'. It was not until 'later' that the deposits started and the requirement to 'inform Aduana or loose your TIP deposit' came into being. Around that time things became much more computerized.

So my point is, and it may not be reality at all, that you may not find your 2005 TIP registered on that website but your are still legal, all things else considered.

Aduana in Mexico City is being strict about 15 calendar days to notify after the date printed on your immigration document, even if you received it 2 months after that date. They have made a recent policy of being difficult as it means millions in revenue. The term should also be 15 business days as the law doesn't specify and when that is the case the period should be in business days, this would make sense as the mail service and aduana legal offices are not open 7 days a week.

Just for one reference point, I looked at that site and found our pre-deposit-days, imported-in-2008 vehicle in the system. Not 2003, but like I said, one reference point. I did input my old passport # because that was on the original TIP. I checked out of nostalgia because the old car is being unimported tomorrow afternoon after a 6 1/2 year tour of duty in Mexico. *teardrop*

By the way, kudos to Spencer's office for working with us to time the Retorno Seguro so well. Thank you!!

"Unimported"..... such a poetic way of talking about a beloved vehicle. Much better than saying, "I'm taking the ole crate to the border and cancelling her TIP"!

She'll do OK NOB, but NO ONE will take care of her like you guys did!!!

• 3 months later...

A friend had his US registered Toyota totaled recently and luckily not hurt. He was not at fault. He did not have his car permit extended when he renewed his last visa and today the insurance company asked to prove his vehicle was legally in Mexico before settling.

I called Aduana in Mexico City 01-55-5802-0000 and talked at length with a lawyer. He stated this car was legal in Mexico as expat was legal. He also stated deposit is likely lost.

I asked regarding the 15 days calendar days vs 15 business days. He stated a person has 15 business days (as Spencer has noted before) from date you are notified by email to do your finger prints, meaning visa is approved. One should take their page from INM with the NUT number and also a copy of the email you or your facilitator gets indicating visa is approved and finger prints are next.

At least in SMA that email is normally 2 weeks after starting your application / renewal.

When your visa is being renewed for 1, 2 or 3 years that is how long you car permit will be extended.

And, to have insurance coverage make sure your car in the eyes of Aduana is legal and you can prove it.

Tomorrow I will go with this person to Aduana at the QRO airport to obtain confirmation vehicle is legal in Mexico as insurance company has requested.

saludos

Sonia

TIP extended ???? I always heard as long as your Visa is valid -- your TIP is valid. My current TIP is from a 2006 Tourist permit and I've been through all the resident visas. I have no deposit so have not worried ..... and I've never been asked for Visa/TIP proof

The Ley Aduanera changed in June 2010 to require all TIP holders to notify Aduana every year of the new expiration date when their associated INM residency permit is renewed or changed.

This policy was only partially enforced between June 2010 and March 2013. When Aduana DF made their March 2013 decision to allow Residente Temporal card holders to keep their TIP vehicles, Aduana again specified that Residente Temporales must extend (renew) their Aduana TIP permits to match the new INM permit's expiration date. Aduana also specified in March 2013 that the TIP renewal had to be done in writing within 15 days of the TIP's previous expiration date.

Because of the Nov. 2012 - March 2013 delays and confusion over whether Residente Temporals would be allowed to keep their TIPs, and because of months of delays in getting the INM permits issued (after the Nov 2012 INM rule changes) and delays in Aduana's TIP rules decisions over the INM changes, Aduana did not start enforcing the policy until late 2013.

The law has been in place since 2010 and was poorly enforced until 2014, but since March 2013, Aduana has very consistently insisted that we must file annually to renew our TIPs. Aduana has also been consistently giving TIP holders a fresh annual letter to carry in the TIP vehicle certifying the TIP's current expiration date to show police. This is why many police now ask to see the Aduana letter if there has been an accident or in traffic violation stops. Citing Article 106 is not enough to explain why we don't have a current Aduana letter showing the current expiration date of our TIP, proving that the TIP is still valid.

All through 2013 and through part of 2014, our friends with old TIPs, who were in a similar situation to sparks, were allowed by Aduana to apply and get their old TIP's expiration dates updated to match their current INM visa expiration date, as long as the TIP holder could prove that they kept their INM permits continuously current, with no fines or problems, using the approaches that Sonia describes.

Has Aduana recently continued to allow old TIP holders to update their years-old out of date TIPs, and issued the official letters to the car owners, documenting the TIPs current official expiration date, or has that leniency ended?

One confirmation of the Aduana policy happened with one acquaintance who had their TIP car stolen, who had not given Aduana the annual written notices of the renewal of their INM permit, and did not have any letter from Aduana confirming that the TIP was still valid.

Their insurance company refused to pay out on the claim of the stolen car until they could get Aduana to write an official letter documenting that their TIP was still valid. The car owners were stuck, because if they notified Aduana of the stolen TIP car, they would not only be out the car and out the insurance money, Aduana would also chase them for the 40% of the original duty that's the penalty for having an undocumented TIP car stolen.

A final unpleasant consequence is that most Mexican insurance companies have fine print in their insurance policies that denies coverages and cancels insurance protection, in the event of an accident. if they find out that the TIP vehicle does not have a current TIP with a current expiration date in the Aduana database, so it's best to get our TIP's expiration dates officially renewed.

One additional twist to Aduana's policy on TIPs involves how many years you can extend the expiration date. During 2013 and part of 2014, Aduana allowed some people to get multi-year extensions of their TIP to match their INM RT permit. If the INM Residente Temporal permit was issued for 3 years, Aduana would issue a letter with a 3 year expiration date, but that all changed sometime in 2014.

Internet reports for the last few months have confirmed that Aduana now only issues an extension for 1 year, regardless of the INM RT permit's expiration date. This is further confirmation that Aduana now requires that we file for an extension of our TIP's expiration date, in writing, every year.

Sonia's advice above is good, and fits Aduana's policies and requirements.

I have got my clients multi year renewals as rule is notify if you get a new immigration document and if you get a 2 or 3 year document, there will be nothing to notify the following year.

Aduana revised their manual in September 2014, made changes that we fought for, big change is that you have 15 business days from the date your new immigration document is authorized which means you are notified you are ready for fingerprints. We have recieved no letters after we have notified under the new post Sept 2014 rules so things may have to still be adjusted.

Thanks Spencer for all you do.

sincerely

Sonia

Archived