Chapala.com Webboard

Telecable and Cisco Router

All Day

I just received a Cisco router/modem from Telecable model number DPC2420 and I cannot access the setup for the modem. IP Config is giving me a gateway IP of 10.219.128.1 and that address doesn't work. I know the default for Cisco modems is 192.168.0.1 but that doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Telecable has been masking the local router address to the 10.219.128.1 for quite a while now. Both 10 and 192 are address ranges used for local DHCP assignment. I have a Scientific Atlantic router with a Linksys WRT54G wireless router in order to save the $50 pesos/month rent of their wireless modem.

I can access the Telecable router using the standard 192.168.0.1 so you should be able to get into the Cisco router. You might have to try other gateway addresses like 192.168.1.1 and then try one of the possible username and password possibilities. The Scientific American router is accessed using admin/motorola.

You can always try to send a message to the gerente on the Telecable web site. Normally Jesús Felix responds back with answers.

It is impossible to enter the configuration of Telecable Modems. Sometimes it is possible to enter a page of the modem, but then it is only possible to see things like modemstatus and so on but changing the configuration is impossible. Only with the seperate (wireless) routers of Telecable are possible to change the config, but the modems are totally locked.

It is possible to get into Telecable modems. I have accessed both my current Scientific America alambrico and my previous 2 inalambrico models.

It helps to be standing over the shoulders of the visiting tech guys and watching what they are doing. It also helps to be a techie that used to work in the computer business back in the day.

After looking further, the Scientific Atlanta DC2100R2 modem seems to be what is termed docsis 2.0 which does not permit access to level 3 options. My prior motorola wireless modem allowed access and prior to that I must have had a docsis 3.0 Scientific Atlanta because I was able to view and modify options.

I sent an email to the gerente asking about this model modem and if there is a way to access options or if Telecable offers an alternate alambrico model that opens up options to users.

It is possible to get into Telecable modems. I have accessed both my current Scientific America alambrico and my previous 2 inalambrico models.

It helps to be standing over the shoulders of the visiting tech guys and watching what they are doing. It also helps to be a techie that used to work in the computer business back in the day.

Thanks for your help John. I finally accessed the modem using 192.168.100.1

I can setup the wireless setting from the menu and was able to change the SSID and the WPA security code. I still can't access the Advanced Settings since it asks me for a Username and Password. I guess I'll contact Jesús Felix and see if he'll provide me with the information. Thanks again.

If you're working with a Scientific Atlanta Webstar modem, the default login info should be admin/W2402 (capital W).

Some web articles I've read say you can login and select level 2 from the dropdown and then if you return to the login screen, there is a chance level 3 will appear in the dropdown.

If you're working with a Scientific Atlanta Webstar modem, the default login info should be admin/W2402 (capital W).

Some web articles I've read say you can login and select level 2 from the dropdown and then if you return to the login screen, there is a chance level 3 will appear in the dropdown.

Nope. It's a Cisco DPC2420

You could try the grunt method starting with both fields blank, then admin/blank, blank/admin, admin/admin and if wireless then admin/WEP key. Some modems use the word password as the default password.

The Telecable Motorola wireless modem uses admin/motorola so you might try admin/cisco or even cisco/cisco.

As a last resort wait for Jesús to email you back with the access info or take your chances and go to the Telecable office in Riberas.

Some web pages suggest restarting the modem after every 3 invalid access attempts.

• 4 months later...

Did anyone have success accessing their Telcable "modem"? I am testing a VPN service called unlocator. It works quickly and brilliantly using a TelMex standard DSL modem and changing the internal DNS settings, but my customer gets his Internet via Telecable. So I need to get inside.

The normally responsive gerente has ignored my last 3 requests for a replacement modem (not wireless) where the options are accessible. A trip to the office might be required but cornering Sr. Felix face to face might be more productive. The wireless modems were opened via password but it made no sense to pay for a rental with a Linksys router sitting around.

Port forwarding is not working at all with the brain dead Telecable modems. Can't get inside to set the range.

Please post if you have any luck. I'll do the same.

No luck, I'm afraid. I was able to see into the Scientific Atlanta gateway box from Telecable at the customer's house, using 192.168.100.1. However, all pages were "locked out by the Service Provider". So other than being able to look at a status report, there was nothing I could do.

During this process, I tried TunnelBear as an IP blocker, which had worked previously for another client. But TunnelBear doesn't let you change the DNS servers of your modem, which in effect means (as with many other IP blocking services) you have to change the DNS of each device connected to your modem. Unlocator allows the change to the actual modem, which means a one-time setting for all devices in the house, even when your visitors arrive with their tablets. Previously, UnBlockUS and Strong would let you do that, but now they don't... and they want $1 extra per device after your initial monthly charge.

This all started with the client having purchased a Cisco router from momentumelectronics.com, that would allow him to access U.S. programming like NetFlix. Yet after two different routers, both eventually being officially declared dead by their tech support, we had to find other means.

Archived