Chapala.com Webboard

Interesting Exchange rates on a wire transfer

holdrja

I just put through a wire transfer from my Chase bank account (in USD) to my Bancomer account.

Here's the exchange rates that I saw today:

Google is showing 13.57 pesos to the dollar

Chase offered to convert to pesos before sending the wire transfer; and offered 13.2376

I called Bancomer and asked what rate they'd give me for a wire transfer today, they said 13.84

Guess which option I picked? :-)

The exchange rate the Mx. bank gives you on a wire transfer may be only part of the equation. Wait til the end of the statement period to see- Bancomer charged me $20US "currency conversion charge". This was a few years ago- maybe their policies have changed, but don't assume they will volunteer that info- you'd have to ask.

In my experience, you always "lose" when you want to go from one currency to another.

Today's 13.57 on XE was most likely the "spot" (international mid-market ) rate, which is generally about mid-way between the "buy" and "sell" rates. The difference is how banks, exchange houses, etc. make money on the transfer. (Separate fees for service not included.)

Usually, when one "buys" pesos with dollars, you receive LESS pesos per dollar than the SPOT rate. When one turns pesos into dollars, you pay MORE pesos per dollar. I wonder if there was a confusion between Bancpomer and holdrja..... and that the bank was talking about how much it would COST her in pesos to buy dollars?

Since the spot rate at 9:00 this a.m. was 13.54, I seriously doubt she received 13.84 pesos per dollar...... but vamos a ver.

Ok, here's the results: I received a 13.515 exchange rate.

Fees: I paid a $40 USD fee to send the wire transfer, and on the Bancomer end, 407.10 pesos charged for a "COMISION ORDEN DE PAGO", and 65.14 pesos for IVA on that commission.

The wire transfer was delayed by a day, as the fraud squad at my NOB bank (Chase) jumped into action when they saw the amount of the transfer, canceled it, AND froze my account plus my online access. Sigh. My husband I had to go in person to a Chase branch, with two forms of government issued picture IDs, and all our bank cards, checking account numbers etc; spent almost an hour with a banker there getting things un-tangled and my access restored, and the wire transfer sent.

Good thing I started this transfer while I was still in the States. And I did that deliberately -- just in case.

I have confirmed that the money is now in my Bancomer account.

Archived