Chapala.com Webboard

I need a Fireplace expert!!

beverly111

We also have a gas fireplace with ceramic logs -- we fired ours up last winter for the first time since we bought the house (7+ years) and we didn't smell gas, we had a strong smell too that gave me a headache so and we turned it off. I thought it might be because the ceramic logs were very dusty from no use and/or it was just that smell you get from not having used it for years. We didn't have a leak in the gas line -- it was not a gas smell just a "burn off" smell. The odor cleared up as soon as we turned off the flames.

Maybe we'll need to use our fireplace again this year so we may have that same smell for a while. I hope it is temporary so we can enjoy our fireplace some evenings.

I don't think the fireman are the guys to contact if you have a gas leak smell -- You will probably need to have a plumber come look at it for you -- they can fix the line if there's a leak and/or replace fixtures or hoses.

Hey, folks, call Carlos Ramirez at 333-903-5891. He is an expert on ceramic fireplace logs, as I previously posted. Nice guy, too.

We have a gas fireplace that has a strong propane burn off smell when burning. It worries us and causes a headache. Who is an expert in this area??

It sounds as though you are burning propane withoug the addition of any air. Perhaps there is no air-mixing valve on your unit, or it is closed. I have seen installations where a simple perforated pipe was installed without a mixing valve. That is OK for momentary use to start a wood fire, but not for continued use. For a clean flame, you do need a bit of air.

Ditto for K2tog.

A plumber may not understand the problem. Seek out a builder of gas grills; probably in Guadalajara, or ask at a hardware store for a propane-air mixing valve. Then have it installed by a plumber and learn how to adjust it.

Archived