Chapala.com Webboard

Thinking of Shipping Your Pet?

Please do not ship pets via cargo! Below are airline incidents that were reported for ONLY the month of July involving pets missing, injured or killed. How many more have gone unreported? Something to think about if you or anyone you know considers transporting a pet via cargo. Up until now airlines were not required to report problems with shipped pets. Looks like that will be changing. If your dog is not small enough to fit in the cabin then consider driving.

UNITED AIRLINES

(1) Great Dane dead on arrival

(2) Boston Terrier dead on arrival

(3) Daschund arrived with bloody mouth and paws from chewing on crate

(4) Husky upon arrival unable to walk or stand

http://www.dot.gov//fil/docs/United_Redacted_July_2014.pdf

DELTA AIRLINES

(1) Bird dead on arrival

(2) Oct. 2014 - Lost dog on a flight from Los Angeles to Tampa on Oct. 31. More than a week later, the dog is still missing https://www.yahoo.com//airline-loses-passengers-dog-heres-

http://www.dot.gov//files/docs/Delta_Redacted_July_2014.pdf

ALASKA AIRLINES

(1) Pit Bull chewed out of his kennel, as a result the dogs mouth was bloody.

(2) English Bull Dog dead on arrival.

(3) Cat died after ramp agents were transporting via baggage cart which went over a bump and the kennel fell from the cart. The escaped from the kennel, was caught by a ramp agent, then escaped again. The next morning the cat was found dead, likely being struck by a vehicle on ramp. We assisted with the final disposition of Dauntes remains.

(4) Cat dead on arrival

(5) Dog injured: Upon arrival in Seattle, WA a dog in its kennel was found with a missing toenail and blood inside the kennel. The dog had apparently been trying to escape its kennel by digging with its paws at the kennel door.

http://www.dot.gov//fil/docs/Alaska_Redacted_July_2014.pdf

I go back and forth with a cat in pet cargo. Have used Alaska, Aero Mexico, and Volaris with no problems. As far as I know. The cat doesn't talk. I was worried this time as the cat came into Guad on the luggage roundabout. Usually the luggage handlers carry the cage into the luggage area.

How many thousands of animals were shipped? Odds are your pet will arrive unharmed. You are more likely to be in an auto accident than to have your pet harmed. Just more fear mongering.

Joyfull is just providing us information that is good to take into consideration when moving with pets. It's not "FEAR MONGERING". Is labeling ingredients fear mongering? Is warning people that Cigarettes are unhealthy fear mongering? Is providing information about a road that has dangerous potholes fear mongering? I'm always grateful when people bring safety issues to my attention. It gives us choices. We then get to freely decide.

I was not trying to create fear in anyone. I spent 30 years working for American Airlines, a couple of it in baggage at ORD. we would get pets come in and no owner to pick them up! We kept food for them, walked them, and did everything we could to Make them comfortable until they were picked up. Now no one at the airline is allowed to open a cage for any reason. What if it were your pet...would you prefer they have something to eat and drink or sit in their kennel scared, hungry and in their own poop?

In the above article, some of the animals were injured due to their own distress. If given tranquilizers the animal cannot balance themselves during turbulence and can be injured. I use to travel with a Golden Retriever in cargo all the time, I wouldn't do it now. No one at any airline means for your pet to get hurt, but it happens. I now have "airplane" dogs that I can take in the cabin. Just my two cents so people can make an informed decision whether they want to check a pet.

• 3 weeks later...

Joyful starts her post with a plea to not ship your pet in cargo. Gives examples without the statistical information showing how unlikely the events occur. Relates that in 30 years she's never had a dead dog. Offers no alternatives. How was that helpful?

She did offer alternatives: "If your dog is not small enough to fit in the cabin, then consider driving." And I for one am grateful that this post was made & I hope others who truly care about their pets well-being will take it to heart. There is a significant danger in shipping animals in cargo holds of planes, but if you are demanding statistical proof, well, who the hell knows where that information is made available or even if airlines are required to report this to the public. I know that after I shipped my 4 cats by air in cargo I will NEVER do it again. I personally witnessed how the crates were tossed about by the baggage handlers, despite knowing they contained live animals. One of my cats arrived covered in diarrheah (sp?) from a very stressful trip, and was tossed about by handlers at Guad airport right in front of me, no concern that I was watching. He was literally thrown upside-down and ended up coated in the muck! He, and one other, both young & healthy, died shortly after. All had clean bills of health from our vet pre-travel. The next time I had to move them, they went in the cabin and by car.

If you still don't believe there is a real risk, learn about it at this site: www.dryfur.com and read the 'airline incidence reports' under Pet Airline Travel Tips in the column on the left. There is a lot that happens that doesn't make it to the nightly news.

• 3 months later...

Notice there hasn't been any recent updates on having your pet go in cargo. No mention of Copa airlines either In any of the threads. I will have one cat in cabin with me but my other cat has to go as cargo. I was quoted a price of $360.00 not sure if that is because of size of crate or what. I have the #200 I think they call it the medium size that is 27 inches long. Wanted to make sure it could stand and turn around. My two cats together would most likely weigh less than 20 lbs. It is confusing because they allow two puppies or two kittens less than 6 months old to be together if 20 lbs. so why wouldn't they if cats weighed less than this. It might give my cat comfort to know the other one is with it. With having the opportunity to have it In the cabin it makes it so you can not have carry on luggage and with copa pay $75.00. I was wondering can you fly in business class with your pet with only flying one way it isn't a lot of difference and my bags can be heavier. Some places it says allows one pet. I would like to know from others what they have paid to transport a pet or cost if in cabin. Also if anyone has had a pet In business class.

Then I look on aeromexico airline and I think great my 2 cats can fly together in one kennel for $80. such a better price. They cannot ride in cabin but a dog can. That doesn't make sense to me. So I call them up and no only one cat per person and only one pet per carrier. Then why do they say that you can have two pets from the same family be in the same kennel. I would like to know where I can have my two cats with me and it doesn't cost me a fortune to do it.

I guess my only option is Copa with having one in cabin for $75.00 not sure what cost is for in cargo. At one time said to me $360 and I figured quoted me wrong. Now when I call they will send me information but my trip is a ways off so probably don't really want to say in case it would change. There luggage policy thou is better than most since 2 bags of 50 lbs. are allowed for free and you can have two additional bags weighing 70 lbs. for $175.00 each. you can also make the two free bags weigh more for additional cost. So many airlines charge for second bag and the price goes up with each additional bag and think can only weigh 50 lbs. of course my carry on bag is eliminated with cat in cabin.

Archived