Chapala.com Webboard

Warning about aggressive dogs

A friend told me about her friend´s horrible experience around 9 p.m. Friday night. This occurred in Ajijic on 16th de Septiembre near Olé Olá. She was walking her small dog on leash when two large black (or dark) dogs came running up behind them. One of the dogs snatched up hers and tried to run away with it as her dog howled in pain and fear.

The woman began screaming and the attacker dropped her little dog. By the time people came out of houses drawn by her and her dog´s screams, both aggressive dogs had vanished. The little dog had puncture wounds which were treated and after an overnight stay at the vet´s is doing fine.

I have no more information than this which I am posting as a warning to be careful with your dogs out there.

Is she sure they weren't coyotes? Coyotes will grab small dogs and eat them.

There are 2 or 3 large black dogs that roam the park , the walkway and the beach next to the Ajijic malecon. No collars, so I assume they are owner-less. They are so very speedy.

Have never seen a coyote around here.

And coyotes are not black or even dark, in my NOB experience. And she said "large"; the ones in my area of New England were at best medium size, in dog sizes. No where near the size of, say, a black lab.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm carrying my zapper for awhile. My small black dog got grabbed in Riberas by a large black dog a year ago..,I figured we were in his territory. I had never before walked so Far East from our LaFloresta.

I would also recommend that since it's pitch dark now by 9 p.m., it isn't a very good idea to be out and about alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived