Chapala.com Webboard

Best Airlines to Fly to the U.S. and back

3palms

I'm hoping to get some ideas from people who travel frequently as to which airlines are the most economical to fly to the U.S. and back from Guadalajara. I'm not sure whether using a Mexican airlines would be better that one of the U.S. airlines. I sure would appreciate any advice or ideas. Travelling to Denver over Christmas and New Years. Thanks in advance. All replies would be appreciated.

I'm a cheapskate, and always go on price. For the places I go (Seattle, Phoenix, and Iowa) it's almost always US Airways that wins, and they're fine. Volaris sometimes has good fares, but their schedule tends to be pretty brutal - red eyes. I've never flown from here to Denver, but if I were going at Christmas, I'd be buying my ticket ASAP.

Unfortunately there's really no single, consistent answer to your question. you have to do the work looking across all the airlines to see the best price for the days / locations of your travel and your tolerance for flight times & total travel time. For me (going to CT) sometimes it's US Airways . sometimes it's Delta etc etc

I fly twice a year non-stop--in the past with Aero Mexico. Good airline. This last time I flew Volaris. It was cheaper than AM but I didn't like the hours. It helped to understand Spanish as not much English was spoken. Also expect to pay extra for everything on board.

I agree with ckelly in that I've found no one best.... and booking ASAP is a good recommendation.

I used to fly the Denver-Guadalajara route on Continental with a stop in Houston and I thought they had good, reliable service at a reasonable price. Since United took control, the Houston-Guadalajara portion, flown by United Express, is iffy with respect to on-time (or even cancelled). I flew American once and that was OK.

Volaris 'recently' started flying direct to Denver once a week (Thursday?). During the holidays I see that they are adding fights on other days, but may involve flying through Mexico City. Also, their fares are hard to pin down... you look at it one moment and it is $X dollars and 2 hours later is has changed.... either much higher or much lower. This just happened to me again today. I booked a flight with them one-way Denver to GDL later this month. This will be my 2nd trip down with them and the first on their non-stop.

You might look at Interjet flying GDL to San Antonio and then someone else SAT to Denver. Interjet is a low cost line and then rates between SAT and Denver are often very good.

Fares: it may be too late to get a reduced fare with Volaris to Denver 'around the holidays'.... just looked and their pricing for your general timeframe and the cheapest I saw was around $700 and up to $900. But who knows.... tomorrow it may change and be lower. Can't get much higher that's for sure!

Even though I check lots of airlines I always end up flying Delta to New York. They have decent prices and only one stop. And good schedules.

If you're not going until after February, try Interjet out of GDL to Houston, Miami, New York City, or San Antonio, TX. Between now and February, prices are crazy high. In March, prices go way down. http://www.interjet.com.mx

International flights out of GDL allow 50 kilos FREE luggage, the pitch (leg room) is excellent, the seats are wide, no charge for seat selection at purchase time, and the planes are new. GDL/JFK is non-stop. For example, for one adult flying GDL/JFK on March 10 and returning on March 20, the fare quoted today is $6460 pesos including all taxes. Approx. $480USD.

Good luck with cheap flights over the holiday season. I would take the easiest hassle free flight which would probably be US Airways to PHX then DEN. That is probably the quickest route with a good hub. I would normally expect to pay about 700 for that flight but over the holidays probably add another couple of hundred.

Archived