Chapala.com Webboard

Do U.S. utility trailers need a license plate in Mexico?

cybertramp

Hi,

We have a friend who moved some household goods to lakeside. He crossed at Larado with a utility trailer full of household goods and a valid Menaje de Casa.

While on the cuota a Federal Police car stoped him. One of the three officers removed his Canadian trailer license plate while his attention was diverted. They then demanded he leave the trailer along side of the road until remedied. He refused and they settled for a DVD player as a penality.

I read, on another forum, of the same thing ocurring to another person with a trailer full of household items.

Today I read the following on Rollybrook.com: "(If you use a trailer, it will be listed on your vehicle permit. You'll need proof of ownership. It does not have to have plates.)"

My question assuming the Rollybrook information is correct.

I believe he would have been better off removing the license plate just prior to crossing the border making the license plate issue moot.

Do you agree or am I misinformed? We are coming down near the end of January.

All replies will be appreciated.

Sharon and Frank

I think the statement that you do not need trailer license plate is in error. OR, is not acceptable in actual practice.

I had a boat trailer, listed on my TIP, and did not have license plates(I bought in Laredo and crossed the border)

and was stopped several times (and paid mordida) , I think the law reads that all remolques must have Placas.

You must have a license plate on your trailer or risk having it towed or confiscated by the "real" police.

I am one of the people who had a license plate removed from my trailer. I have a friend here who had the same thing happen to him. My opinion is that this is a local scam of some "State" Police (sic) who operate on the toll roads around San Luis Potosi. These guys do this just to collect some mordida and are not operating in any official capacity. The toll roads are federal jurisdiction and the State Police have no authority on them. These guys (I call them Los Tres Banditos) may just be dressed in cop uniforms and are either off duty or not even real cops. In my case I gave them a propina of $500 MX and they were all smiles and I carried on with my trip (sans license plate).

Seriously, you need to have ALL license plates attached with the special vandal proof security bolts when driving around with foreign plated vehicles (and trailers) in Mexico. They are available in various sizes and types at Autozone stores.

Archived