Chapala.com Webboard

When will the booms stop?

Serenity6

And there is the big evento at La Huerta in West Ajijic tonight. At least the cops are on duty, lots of them. And from La Canacinta I cannot detect any noise, but may I extend my sympathies to those who live closer. IMHO this sort of thing is NOT in the interests of the local community. Take back the town!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disneyworld for old folks, that's cute. I don't know anyone who thinks like that. As for all night parties, not me.

During San Andres festival this year we are celebrating the 10th anniversary of our first trip to Ajijic. Personally I will also be somewhat mourning the loss of small town Ajijic to suburban sprawl during that decade. Oh well, it was going to happen.

CCC I will send you a PM about the cohetes.

Maincoon I don't know where you stay or live in Ft Worth. If you go downtown or to the Stock Yards almost at any time you will find a lots of people out having a good time especially on the week-ends. Of course the neighborhoods are quite guess that's the way people like it up north.

Thousands of retired old folks who are not hard of hearing are retired here and love it. Part of it has to do with exactly where you choose to live lakeside. While some places are more noisy than others, no place will be always quiet. Some people can tolerate noise and some people can´t. It is not the place for the noise intolerant, that is for sure. The generally intolerant also have a difficult time here. We really don´t mind if they decide to go live somewhere else.

Guest bennie2

1000's of people are not retired here to for explosions all day & night. if so this would be a selling point on the realestate sites, retiree magazines. dont you think this would be one of the cultural features? the older mexicans cant deal w/it. no one wants this. maybe thats why harry is pursuing the issue.

Guest bennie2

now since new people are reading the board, looks like centro wont go over very well. the selling point will be how far is the house from the explosions.

now since new people are reading the board, looks like centro wont go over very well. the selling point will be how far is the house from the explosions.

One of the reasons long-timers urge newbs to always rent first for six months or a year.

Some people buy right away and luck out. They remain happy where they bought. But, I think many more later regret their decision as they learn more about what different areas have to offer. The advice to wait at least six months before buying is generally sound.

Make it a year for renting. People need to experience ALL of the seasons before investing.

I loved the coast but only in the winter and found out that the hard way. We never experienced a summer there...not even a visit. But even a short visit wouldn't have given the correct impression because you'd be vacationing and relaxing by a pool. So, we bought land, built a house and lived there full time for six years. I HATED the summers... stinking hot humid summers trapped inside with closed windows because of the air conditioning.

Be smarter than we were...RENT for a minimum of one year...there is an old Scottish saying "If it's fer you, it'll no go past you". If it's meant to be, it will all fall into place.

I can cope with the fireworks with earplugs. In the past I always hated them for the upset they caused my dog and I still truly sympathize with those who are dealing with the issue and their own pets. The people setting them off are totally lacking in empathy...for anyone and anything.

Ferret, I hear you about the noise. I wonder, how do parents feel when their terrifie babies wake up screaming at five am. (My gardener's wife would hold a pillow over her head and was ready to lose her mind.) Or people who just are exhausted from hearing them at midnight then five am for a month? Some people are immune, many others not. Wish there was some sort of cap on the decibels and quantity. That way those who enjoy it can still celebrate it, and those who are seriously affected (and for some people, it is significantly life-affecting with sleep deprivation and the physically painful noise) can also be comfortable. I guess it all boils down to the impossibility of people agreeing on what is "reasonable" and a city who wont set parameters.

It's not a "city", it's the whole country. Wow. A few years ago, there were a few complaints. Now, what's the percentage on this board who want to change this culture? It certainly seem to outweigh the other side that just deals with where they've chosen to live

I don't think this is as big an issue to the general populace as it is to a few people on this board, so therefore very little will change. After all, the people igniting the fireworks are probably related to many of the people in the villages. So you have local parishioners, the priest(s), and many of the town's people all part of the conspiracy And as nice as the Mexican people are with the visiting and full time foreign residents here, if you tell them the foreigners don't like fiesta cohetes....they will probably just shrug their shoulders.

I also noticed that Mexican dogs have become much more sensitive to cohetes since they acquired NOB owners, :lol:

Sanity and reason go out the window when sleep deprivation takes hold.

And it's NOT the whole country. I've only lived in San Miguel de Allende (nine years), San Pancho (six years) and here for just over four years. This area is CRAZY for fireworks...or let's just call them loud obnoxious bangs.

Brought a Canadian born Yorkie to Mexico.. our Malinois was born in San Pancho and our baby Malinois was born in Chapala. So, all owned and loved by a Canadian born family. Your theory doesn't hold water Slainte, 'cuz two of those dogs were terrified to of the cohetes.

I'm really starting to believe that it's the time of the year they're born and at what age they are exposed to the noise or even if the mother was afraid...so Art's method of conditioning should work...except that it didn't for the Malinois born in San Pancho because she was already 6 when she moved here.

I'm just having a good whine about this like I do every year at this time. On the other hand, it generally makes me appreciate the rest of the year even more.

Have a nice day ;)

Anyone hoping for the November noise curse to go away due to either public pressure or miraculous intervention is probably going to be disappointed. It does depend on where you choose to live, relative to the noise source.

Someone said it wasn't as bad as San Miguel. Depends on the neighborhood there, too. Some of the barrios, including the one where I lived for three years, were one "fiesta" after another. Cohetes. Street parties with bands. Downtown fireworks events, interrupted only by long, sound enhanced speeches. It was great fun, or not, depending on your point of view and whether you could do a work around.

Noise cancelling headphones exist. Thundershirts, dog treats and some of the other suggestions can help for those whose pets are going bananas along with the owners.

Ultimately, when you find yourself in a situation that you can't change, there are only two choices. We all know what those are. Maybe there are three, if you can afford it: Spend the month of November at the beach.

I met with Delegado Hector and discussed friday's barrage. I determined/confirmed the source and that it was based on true devotion, therefore, I'm not publishing the name. Hector says approaching this family would be seen as an affront to their devotion.

I reminded him of the droves of people who leave town every year during the Fiesta. I also warned him that, due to friday's barrage, more than ever will be leaving during that time. The business people will suffer - restaurants, stores, pharmacias, etc. He says that speaking to the Fiesta Patronales committee won't help. I'm still going to try the padre, maybe he can have some impact.

i have another meeting with Hector this p.m. and will continue to try to get some kind of progress. No one wants to destroy the tradition , just try to keep it reasonable.

Coming from “where I come from”,,,,loud noise is usually followed by murder and mayhem!

When I heard the boom for the very first time, I was riding my motorcycle,,,,,,I almost dropped the bike . My wife is a Mexican from the Chihuahua ,,,,she hates the booms and she actually entered one of the local churches where they were being fired, and chastised the participants.
A week later some of the locals asked me If I was married to the “mean girl” from Chihuahua,,,,I said NO (lol)

The sound is far worst if you actually live in the center of Ajijic or Chapala. That's why I live far away from the center of the towns.

I'm probably going to come across as an intolerant ###, but it won't be the first time. Culture, religion, and tradition aside, if you go out at 5am with the express purpose of making as much noise as humanly possible, knowing that very few people are going to be appreciative of your efforts, you are an asshole. Plain and simple. Peasant or priest. You're an asshole. There is zero difference between them and the kids who drive through these narrow streets at 3am blasting their stereos. A complete lack of empathy and consideration for anyone but yourself is practically the dictionary definition of an asshole.

Another definition of a$$hole might be that of a person who moves voluntarily to a foreign country and then bitches and whines about local traditions that annoy him.

Archived