Chapala.com Webboard

I will be returning a car to the US with an expired import permit, and I am a Residente Permanente. I know I need a Retorno Seguro to legally drive it back to the old country. I vaguely remember reading that this is done through the local INM office. Doesn't make much sense, but is that correct? I'm sure it takes them a bit of time to do that (or anything else), and I know once I have the letter I only have a limited number a days (five?) to get the car north.

Can someone describe the procedure for getting a Retorno Seguro and guestimate about how long it takes to get one? I need to schedule the doing of it to try to coincide with an estimated departure date in middish November.

Thank you!

(I tried the useless search function on this site....I know this info is probably out there, but I couldn't find it easily and don't have time to wade through 53 threads.)

Travis, the Retorno Seguro is a product of SAT whose office, I believe, is only in Guadalajara. The 'letter' is free (or least it used to be). The process takes two trips to their office to procure and generally 3-5 days overall depending on.... And yes, once you receive the letter you have 5 business days to reach the border and cancel your TIP.... and you do want to do that even though it has expired. Keep the paperwork you get to later prove that you complied.

I have not done this process for myself but have had Spencer do it for me at a cost.... I *think* that it was 500 pesos but that was a year or more ago. It was worth that price to me.

It is done through the SAT (Hacienda) office. When I got one a year and a half ago in Vallarta it took a day. I heard it takes longer in Chapala area. And unless something has changed, or they do it differently in your area, they cannot (or will not) future date them for when you plan to travel. They take effect the day after they are issued, at which point you have 5 business days to get your car across the border. As with everything, they don't make it convenient. I needed the title, registration, original TIP, drivers license, passport, originals and 2 copies of each.

We charge 1600 pesos which includes certified copies of documents. Most SAT offices that serve lakeside addresses are taking 3 to 5 business days to process the retorno seguros and sometimes you need extra forms if you are in certain situations. You need TIP, title, license plate number, immigration card, passport, driver licenses for all drivers authorized, utility bill and extra papers for Canadian titles or people applying who have a tourist card.

If someone is in a big hurry you can go to SAT in Celaya early and ready next morning and head out to the border. But I recommend Spencer to avoid errors and extra trip to Guadalajara.

If someone is in a big hurry you can go to SAT in Celaya early and ready next morning and head out to the border. But I recommend Spencer to avoid errors and extra trip to Guadalajara.

I just used SAT in Celaya and did get the Retorno Seguro in 2 days.....

Celaya SAT

Originals and copies:

1. passport,

2. utility bill or bank statement showing address but does not have to be in your name meaning you can go anywhere for Seguro Returno

3. driver's license

4. visa

5. car title

6. car permit

7. receipt when you paid for the car permit

8. Banjercito Recibo Bancario de Pago de Contribuciones

9. license plate number on a separate piece of paper.

SAT phone: 461-618-5168

Lic. Susana Razo

Street: end of Diego Arenas Guzman at Lic Andres Quintana Roo, and just east of 12 de Octubre

For this area you must go to one of the Guadalajara offices depending on where you live, i.e. municipality.

We just did it, with Spencer, and it took about a week. We drove from Chapala to Tucson in two days and arrived at the border late the second night. We did not even see the Mexican offices in the dark, and neither we nor the car will return to Mexico, so we drove on to the US entry, where crossing was easy, as we were the only car going north at that moment.

Archived