Chapala.com Webboard

El Manglito in Barra de Navidad

ComputerGuy

I tried this restaurant with my kids in March and was very impressed, both with the linen service and the quality of food. So I went back this weekend with a friend. Unfortunately there was a big meeting going on (the upcoming 450th anniversary of "something" in Barra celebrations being planned; a story should be forthcoming in the Guadalajara Reporter), so we couldn't sit on the water's edge, where it's really lovely. This is on the bay side of Barra.

My deliciously-prepared mixed platter of bruschetta included shrimp, beef, chicken, white fish and platanos, with excellent rice and veggies. But the sesame-and-peppercorn encrusted tuna that my friend ordered was mind-boggling. It was too big a portion, so I got a lot of it. Man, I will go back for that. Service was top-notch, and prices were very reasonable for a beach restaurant, one of the nicer ones there. For example, the tuna was $120 pesos with accoutrements.

http://www.costalegre.ca/images/El_Manglito_150.jpg

Okay, glad you set me straight, although that is not the story I got from the participants in the meeting.

This topic, however, should remain about the food and the restaurant.

Or it got lost in translation. I know the history of the town better than 90% of the people living there. If you walk to the breakwater you will see the monument commemorating the voyage Lopez de Legazpi made from Barra de Navidad to the Philippines in 1564, which, by applying simple mathematics, you will see was 450 years ago. Plus the fact, if you know Mexican history, there were no revolutions happening in 1564.

I lived in Barra from 1972 until 1980. My wife is from there. Her's was the 8th family to settle there in the early 20th century. We were married in the church there. My children were conceived in Barra. Still have family there. We own property on the lagoon very near el Manglito. I have known the Veredas family that own el Manglito for over 40 years. My wife has known them her entire life. Used to surf with Manuel "el Torobayo" who runs it now, way back when.

Now, in order to stay on topic, I will simply say as far as your review of the restaurant, I completely disagree.

I haven't been in Barra in 25 years. Can either one of you tell me whatever happened to Roscoe. I'm sure he is long gone, but just curious as I ate many meals in his establishment. He was a fixture there in his day.

He moved back to the States years ago. He has since passed away. Ran into his son a year or so ago. Said hs dad died watching TV, sitting in his easy chair.

Archived